bumper........help/now paint...

DSN_KLR650
RM

[dsn_klr650] valve shim change

Post by RM » Mon May 15, 2000 5:49 pm

On Mon, 15 May 2000, John Laybolt wrote:
>Has anyone replaced shims and buttoned everything up without a torque >wrench? I really can't wait the 2+ weeks for mine to get here. I'm >leaving for Alaska in 4 weeks and still have to finish my break in. >Currently disabled at 800KM.
Speaking of torque wrenches - Just how good are the lower cost ($40 to $80) wrenches? I've heard people say that only the professional quality (like Snap-On) wrenches are any good. Any truth? RM

Yusseri Yusoff

Post by Yusseri Yusoff » Mon May 15, 2000 5:56 pm

On Mon, 15 May 2000, John Laybolt wrote: > Has anyone replaced shims and buttoned everything up > without a torque wrench? Yep. I'm one of those heretics. Couldn't find any torque wrenches to suit my budget so I ignored the sage advice of the list and used the touchy feely technique. So far no problems. YMMV though. Why don't you just tighten it up first anyway and then recheck everything once you get the torque wrench? Yus A1

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Mon May 15, 2000 6:25 pm

> > > Has anyone replaced shims and buttoned everything up > without a torque wrench? I really can't wait the 2+ > weeks for mine to get here. I'm leaving for Alaska in > 4 weeks and still have to finish my break in. > Currently disabled at 800KM. > > John >
I'm positive you can if you're careful. Torque the valve caps as tight as you can with your hand high on the wrench, right over the socket. On the valve cover bolts be more careful as the bolt heads are oversize for the bolt diameter. Torque in the same manner as before but stop just when the bolt begins to feel tight. Bogdan

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Mon May 15, 2000 9:28 pm

In a message dated 05/15/2000 4:19:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time, jeddorian@... writes: << Has anyone replaced shims and buttoned everything up without a torque wrench? I really can't wait the 2+ weeks for mine to get here. I'm leaving for Alaska in 4 weeks and still have to finish my break in. Currently disabled at 800KM. >> I do it all the time. I rarely use a torque wrench and have yet to lose any parts off my bikes...knock on wood. Gino

Wontco@yahoo.com

bumper........help/now paint...

Post by Wontco@yahoo.com » Tue May 16, 2000 1:16 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Dennis Angus" wrote:
> Can't decide if I should continue with todays project or not. What
do you
> think? > I like the practical points but I don't like the mini bi-plane look. > Thanks in advance for you're opinions. Oh yeah, Al H., I'm already
singing
> this to Led Zeppelin.
Unfortunately, I don't have my KLR yet, (but they say that everyone has a KLR that was meant for them (or maybe that was a mate), and I'll find it soon....) so I don't have an informed opinion. It looks like it'd provide good protection as well as nice foot pegs, but as an engineer in training, I'd be concerned about disturbing the airflow, i.e. fouling the aero's. Done any trial runs with it bungeed in place? However, I must concur....Ass kicking paint job. I've seen it in a previous post, but not up close. What year model are you? With the nice condition of the frame and engine case you look as good as new. You MUST to provide detailed how to, for the rest of us financially challenged folk. Kevin B.