[dsn_klr650] (nklr) cd quality

DSN_KLR650
Sarah Barwig

[dsn_klr650] year 'round clothing

Post by Sarah Barwig » Tue May 09, 2000 5:45 pm

"Rev. Chuck" wrote:
> the salesman pointed me at Joe Rocket Ballistic stuff. Looks similar to the high priced clothing, but something is missing.... What is it?
Ummm.... Quality?
> The Kilimanjaro stuff is black without the *look at me, here I am* stripes, colors and markings. The Joe rocket stuff is as bright as I ever want to get.
True.
> Any neg. Joe Rocket info?
Not actually useful crash protection -- which, I presume, is why you're buying it. Friends don't let friends crash in Joe Rocket.
> What is the riding apparel D' jour?
Aerostich. Luckily, I have no annoying significant other or dependents to whine about me spending all my money on bikes and bike gear. Sarah

Rev. Chuck

Post by Rev. Chuck » Tue May 09, 2000 5:53 pm

>> the salesman pointed me at Joe Rocket Ballistic stuff. Looks similar to the high priced clothing, but something is missing.... What is it? > >Ummm.... Quality? > >> The Kilimanjaro stuff is black without the *look at me, here I am* stripes, colors and markings. The Joe rocket stuff is as bright as I ever want to get. > >True. > >> Any neg. Joe Rocket info? > >Not actually useful crash protection -- which, I presume, is why you're buying it. Friends don't let friends crash in Joe Rocket. > >> What is the riding apparel D' jour? > >Aerostich. Luckily, I have no annoying significant other or dependents to whine about me spending all my money on bikes and bike gear.
You heard them? Thanks for the heads-up on Joe Rocket, I will continue to look :^) --- Rev. Chuck :^)>+ A13 http://klr650.50megs.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Get your FREE Email at http://mailcity.lycos.com Get your PERSONALIZED START PAGE at http://my.lycos.com

Wilmotte, Todd

Post by Wilmotte, Todd » Tue May 09, 2000 8:45 pm

I know that the Original Joe Rockets had poor ventilation but I wasn't aware of inadequate stitching. Are other manufacturers utilizing thread other than kevlar for their seam-work?? My jacket and pants are double reinforced Kevlar stitched. I looked at other jacket/pant combos but actually wanted something with brighter colors due to my frequent night riding. Other features I liked about the Joe Rocket was the over abundance of pocket storage, reflective full width stripe on back and fleece collar lining... I hate those itchy collars!! I'm surprised and concerned to hear that the jacket and or pants came apart at the seams ending in road rash on your friends behalf. But, so often times when people spend a great deal more on something (for example: when someone pays big $$ for the BMW F650 GS instead of gettin' a KLR650) they often will slam the quality of anything costing less no matter what!! When I initially scanned various web pages including rec.motorcycles most of what I discovered was good reports of the new Joe Rocket line.... But, maybe I should research it again!! Todd
> -----Original Message----- > From: Sarah Barwig [SMTP:sarah@...] > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 5:25 PM > To: Todd Wilmotte > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Year 'round clothing > > > How so?? How does Joe Rocket lack in quality ...Kevlar? Cordora? > > Venting? Armor? Waterproofness?? > > Seam stitching primarily. > > > I personally want the "Look at me" characteristics of riding apperal > > hoping that cagers are more apt to see me especially when riding at > > night... > > At night all dogs are black. How much reflective striping is on the Joe > Rocket gear? I don't know, I'm just asking. > > > Why isn't Joe Rocket useful crash protection... What are you basing > > these remarks on....Facts?? Personal experiences with the products?? > > Friends who have crashed, had seams tear out on them, ended up with road > rash, swore never to let anyone they cared about buy Joe Rocket without > a warning. > > > I have the new style of Joe Rocket Ballistic pants and jacket and > > enjoy the set very much. I think it offers a much better value for > > the $$$ and provides more than adequate ventilation, reinforced > > kevlar stiching, removable armor, spine padding, zip out liner, > > adjustable cuffs/waist and pairing via a rear zipper to matching > > pants. Of course it also has reflective striping and bold or not so > > bold colors to hopefully be "Seen" by others... I've had mine for > > roughly 2000 miles on my A14 and think they are certainly good value. > > > > Todd > > Maybe they've improved their quality of late. Didn't look like it when I > was looking at them compared to Dainese on Saturday at the local > mega-store, but I didn't look all that closely since I'm currently > covered gearwise. > > Sarah >

run2hills@aol.com

Post by run2hills@aol.com » Tue May 09, 2000 8:55 pm

Sarah responds: [Borg suggests] Aerostich. Luckily, I have no annoying significant other or dependents to whine about me spending all my money on bikes and bike gear.
>>
LOL! Sarah, you're lucky, like me. Is it a curse or a blessing? Dear Chuck, I too wanted all weather, versatile riding wear. I didn't consider Aerostich only because of cost, although a friend told me an insurance co. once paid for his suit and helmet after a crash. I recently purchased a Malcolm Smith Racing ISDE (acronym for _?_) Cordura / Goretex jacket. It's fairly well vented, mesh lined, and built very well. The tag said it is dirt gear, but the fabric seems heavier than street gear that I have felt. I think it's 500 Cordura throughout (with ballistic 1000 elbow / forearm). Does anyone know for sure if this material is street-worthy? It doesn't come with an armor padding option, maybe the reason for the dirt marketing? I'm using elbow pads from my skateboarding days (yesterday) underneath. I'm thinking about trying a "grasshopper" MX shell also, as I bought a size XXL. Perfect for 6'0", 180 lbs., with long arms. Good hunting, Eric A13L (for "Leave it on", to be ecologically correct) Colorado Springs, Colorado; USA

Sarah Barwig

Post by Sarah Barwig » Tue May 09, 2000 9:21 pm

At 06:43 PM 5/9/00 -0700, Wilmotte, Todd wrote:
>I know that the Original Joe Rockets had poor ventilation but I wasn't aware >of inadequate stitching. Are other manufacturers >utilizing thread other than kevlar for their seam-work??
It ain't necessarily the thread. It's the individual finish on each jacket or pants that you have to look at. The couple of Joe Rocket pieces that I've looked at seemed like they'd had someone drunk at the controls of the sewing machine. Honest. I'm not saying your particular gear is gonna fail. You bought good gear. You'll be ok. (feel better? or at least less defensive?) Perhaps with the new line they have gotten rid of the poor seamstresses (why isn't there a masculine form of that word other than tailor?). I'm just saying what I've heard & seen. Rev. Chuck? Is it possible that what you were looking at was last years stock, and the newer stuff wouldn't be missing that certain "je ne sais quoi" that you felt was lacking?
>I'm surprised and concerned to hear that the jacket and or pants >came apart at the seams ending in road rash on your friends behalf. But, so >often times when people spend a great deal more on something (for example: >when someone pays big $$ for the BMW F650 GS instead of gettin' a KLR650) >they often will slam the quality of anything costing less no matter what!!
Dude. Talk about a defensive non-sequitur.
>When I initially scanned various web pages including rec.motorcycles most of >what I discovered was good reports of the new Joe Rocket line.... But, maybe >I should research it again!!
Like you say, they've got a whole new line out there. Maybe they've radically departed from their previous standards and truly moved into the high quality section of motorcycle protective gear. ---o&>o--- Sarah Barwig sarah@...

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Tue May 09, 2000 9:46 pm

In a message dated 05/09/2000 4:41:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time, klr650@... writes: >>
Don't know about the Joe Rocket stuff, But the First Gear Kilimanjaro has been serving me well for the past three years includin one crash and year round use. It's been washed once, is fading in the shoulder pads and the liner is starting to pill, but other than that, it is working quite well. The pants aren't year round. Late fall to early spring is their range. I use Tourmaster Cortech pants for summer. Aerostich quality is bar none the best. Their prices are right up there too. If it weren't the official uniform of BMW riders, I'd own some Aerostich stuff also ;-) Gino