cheap tail trunk (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Cdekmg@aol.com

cheap tail trunk (nklr)

Post by Cdekmg@aol.com » Thu May 04, 2000 6:40 am

Inspired by others who have made inexpensive tail trunks and panniers for storage, I rigged-up something for myself. I have been strapping a small duffel to my rear rack and became thoroughly annoyed hassling with it. My box of choice was a Craftsman 19" plastic tool box (on sale, $14) It has hinged lid, 2 metal latches, a padlock hole in the middle and a flat bottom for easy mounting (left inner tray out and pulled handle-off). I keep-it super simple, went to dealer and bought 4 new 8mm bolts that were 1/2" longer (4 of the 6 on each side of the rack) to replace originals. I often have trouble finding properly threaded hardware for motorcycles at hardware stores. I mounted the front edge of the box right behind the rear edge of the original tool box (still accessible). It hangs over the rear by 1-2". I used huge, flat fender washers to disperse the downward pull of the bolts. Filled the 4 holes left by the recessed heads of the bolts with 6 stacked washers each 'till level with top of rack. Cut vibration dampening pad from 4mm scrap wetsuit neoprene and sandwiched it between rack and box. Added 1/8" weatherstriping to box gasket. I can remove or mount the box in 5-10 minutes. Its super-lightweight, solid, weatherproof and lockable. 1500 cu. inches of storage for ~$17. It even looks decent (same gray as seat) and forms somewhat of a backrest for passenger (will add padding later). I must admit 'though, I am looking for a Kawasaki sticker or something to cover the Craftsman logo! Of course, I will be putting my Craftsman tools in it! : + ) Charles