gps selective availability nklr

DSN_KLR650
Kahiau

gps selective availability nklr

Post by Kahiau » Thu May 04, 2000 2:54 am

Check this out you GPS people I just got it today . . .

Aloha,
kahiau

Subject: (about damn time!): GPS Selective Availability  >May 1, 2000  >  >STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING THE UNITED STATES DECISION TO STOP  >DEGRADING GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY  >  >                              THE WHITE HOUSE  >  >                       Office of the Press Secretary  >  >          _______________________________________________________  >For Immediate Release                        May 1, 2000  >  >                   STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING  >               THE UNITED STATES DECISION TO STOP DEGRADING  >                    GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY  >  >Today, I am pleased to announce that the United States will stop the  >intentional degradation of the Global Positioning System (GPS) signals  >available to the public beginning at midnight tonight.  We call this  >degradation feature Selective Availability (SA). This will mean that  >civilian users of GPS will be able to pinpoint locations up to ten times  >more accurately than they do now.  GPS is a dual-use, satellite-based  >system that provides accurate location and timing data to users worldwide.  >My March 1996 Presidential Decision Directive included in the goals for GPS  >to: encourage acceptance and integration of GPS into peaceful civil,  >commercial and scientific applications worldwide; and to encourage private  >sector investment in and use of U.S. GPS technologies and services.  To  >meet these goals, I committed the U.S. to discontinuing the use of SA by  >2006 with an annual assessment of its continued use beginning this year.  >  >The decision to discontinue SA is the latest measure in an on-going effort  >to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide.  Last  >year, Vice President Gore announced our plans to modernize GPS by adding  >two new civilian signals to enhance the civil and commercial service.  This  >initiative is on-track and the budget further advances modernization by  >incorporating some of the new features on up to 18 additional satellites  >that are already awaiting launch or are in production.  We will continue to  >provide all of these capabilities to worldwide users free of charge.  >  >My decision to discontinue SA was based upon a recommendation by the  >Secretary of Defense in coordination with the Departments of State,  >Transportation, Commerce, the Director of Central Intelligence, and other  >Executive Branch Departments and Agencies.  They realized that worldwide  >transportation safety, scientific, and commercial interests could best be  >served by discontinuation of SA.  Along with our commitment to enhance GPS  >for peaceful applications, my administration is committed to preserving  >fully the military utility of GPS.  The decision to discontinue SA is  >coupled with our continuing efforts to upgrade the military utility of our  >systems that use GPS, and is supported by threat assessments which conclude  >that setting SA to zero at this time would have minimal impact on national  >security.  Additionally, we have demonstrated the capability to selectively  >deny GPS signals on a regional basis when our national security is  >threatened.  This regional approach to denying navigation services is  >consistent with the 1996 plan to discontinue the degradation of civil and  >commercial GPS service globally through the SA technique.  >  >Originally developed by the Department of Defense as a military system, GPS  >has become a global utility.  It benefits users around the world in many  >different applications, including air, road, marine, and rail navigation,  >telecommunications, emergency response, oil exploration, mining, and many  >more.  Civilian users will realize a dramatic improvement in GPS accuracy  >with the discontinuation of SA.  For example, emergency teams responding to  >a cry for help can now determine what side of the highway they must respond  >to, thereby saving precious minutes.  This increase in accuracy will allow  >new GPS applications to emerge and continue to enhance the lives of people  >around the world.