seat conversions

DSN_KLR650
Randy Logan

seat conversions

Post by Randy Logan » Wed May 03, 2000 11:07 pm

Some good ideas there. I am leaning toward the drilled panel (why didn't I think of that!) right now as my lack of access to salvage yards makes sourcing parts kind of tough. I would be willing to bet that an older UJM seat latch mechanism could be converted, though. Randy
> As for removing the seat with side panels on.... you > could drill a 5/8" > hole through your side panel to access the seat > screws. Then take a flat > piece of latex (1mm thick) and glue it on the back > side of the panel over > the hole. Then take an awl and poke a hole through > the center of the > latex. This is for keeping critters, water and dirt > out of the hole. They > still get behind there from all the sides, but a > hole in your panel doesn't > look that great. The hole in the latex is so that > you can push a screw > driver through, or a socket to get at the head of > the screw. The tricky > part will be re-installing the screws through the > latex. Perhaps devise a > clever way to keep the screw in the hole of the seat > tab. Another peice of > latex glued onto the tab will hold the screw well > enough. A spring loaded > flapper door would work here as well. > > If you want to elliminate the screws at the tabs all > together then I am > envisioning a cable, cam and pin mechanism. Loop a > thin cable around to > the back of the seat from both sides. The cable is > attached to a spring > loaded lever arm that gets displaced as you pull on > the cable loop. The > lever has a pin on it that slides through the seat > tab and into the frame > hole. An oversized pin is better than the screw > diameter so you may want > to drill out the frame hole threads. > > > > > >Has anyone converted the seat so it is detachable > w/o > >taking the side panels off? I've got a set of givi > >saddlebags and the side racks make it a pain to get > >the panels off, much less the seat. I am > considering > >the fuse box relocation, but havent pulled the > >trigger. Plus the fuse box isn't the only reason I > >want under the seat. >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/

Kevin Green

handgrips for klr

Post by Kevin Green » Wed May 03, 2000 11:11 pm

Hello All, Any ideas on good replacement handgrips. The stock ones are fine, but I would like a little more diameter (just a little). Information on the actual replacement effort would be great. thanks, Kevin Green