fork oil/ spacer debate

DSN_KLR650
kenneth scott

fork oil/ spacer debate

Post by kenneth scott » Wed May 03, 2000 12:47 pm

I just installed new springs(shinny ones) from fred and I had a few questions. After reading many articles on this I cut about 1-7/8" off stock spacers and used this piece. If I layed the old springs with old spacers next to the new springs and the new spacer they were both the same length. Good, I think. I then pumped out old(stock) oil and flushed it with a little new oil. Then with the leg off the bike and with all the oil out I compressed the leg and added oil till it was 190mm from the top. I then pumped the leg up and down to make sure all the air was out and checked the 190mm again. I put everything back together and at 185lbs it feels great. But I was worried about "blowing fork seals." I read an article where people said to fill it to 5.5 inches from top. That would be adding a lot more oil than the 190mm. I am happy with the feel but will I run into problems along the way. I am looking for some input from listers that have done this mod with newer shinny springs. Thanks for your help. Ken A13 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/