spongy brake

DSN_KLR650
Kurt Simpson

[dsn_klr650] clutch changing tip!!!! nklr

Post by Kurt Simpson » Sat Apr 29, 2000 9:33 pm

> Seriously, anyone out there looking to change their clutch, it just aint > worth it. I would have paid up to $200 to have someone do it for me, just > not worth the hassle. Now my old Ninja, GPZ's or KZ, I could change a > clutch in under a half hour. > > Yes, I am mechanically inclined, but sometimes, it just aint worth it.
I remember when I was 16 spending a day in 98 degree weather lying on my back under my older brother's '64 Chevy Malibu (283, solids, 3/4 race cam, 2 four barrels, Mickey Thompson slicks) installing "Lake" pipes and glass packs....I thought I was going to die...never again... Kurt

Weaver, Mark

[dsn_klr650] clutch changing tip!!!! nklr

Post by Weaver, Mark » Mon May 01, 2000 11:36 am

i only changed 1 clutch ever, and only out of dire necessity. i was in the army at the time, just divorced, had no money whatsoever, and managed to get a perfectly good car (nissan 200sx) for $300 with a blown clutch. at that time, the sum total of my mechanical experience was to change the oil in my vw bug a couple times. luckily, army bases generally sponsor a do-it-yourself garage, complete with manuals and experienced mechanics for help and advice, so together with my girlfriend stacia (sum total of mechanical experience: painting nails) ordered the parts and had at it. it took us 2 entire evenings of stressed-out hell. to finally remove the transmission we had to loosen all the engine mounts and have a nearby fellow hang from the exhaust pipe to tilt the engine enough to slide the tranny back (after a couple hours of trying every other possible idea). one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life was getting it all buttoned up at 1 minute to closing and actually driving it away. the other amazing thing was that stacia managed to change front and rear brakes pretty much by herself. right then i figgered she was a keeper. if i ever need to change the clutch on my klr, at least i won't have to hang on the pipe. mw
> -----Original Message----- > From: Kurt Simpson [mailto:ajax@...] > Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2000 7:32 PM > To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com; Eric Jasniewicz > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Clutch changing tip!!!! nklr > > > > Seriously, anyone out there looking to change their clutch, > it just aint > > worth it. I would have paid up to $200 to have someone do > it for me, just > > not worth the hassle. Now my old Ninja, GPZ's or KZ, I > could change a > > clutch in under a half hour. > > > > Yes, I am mechanically inclined, but sometimes, it just > aint worth it. > > I remember when I was 16 spending a day in 98 degree weather > lying on my > back under my older brother's '64 Chevy Malibu (283, solids, > 3/4 race cam, 2 > four barrels, Mickey Thompson slicks) installing "Lake" pipes > and glass > packs....I thought I was going to die...never again... > > Kurt > > > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ---------- > Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws. > http://click.egroups.com/1/3020/3/_/911801/_/957061986/ > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ---------- > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

Nandaholz@aol.com

spongy brake

Post by Nandaholz@aol.com » Mon May 01, 2000 1:25 pm

Haven't ridden the KLR much until I started my commute this morning...grabbed the brake at the bottom of my hill and is was very spongy. Maybe just needs to be bleed a bit. Didn't ride to work because it felt a little to unsafe. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. ~Nanda Holz Walnut Creek, CA