[dsn_klr650] nklr (photos)

DSN_KLR650
PHILIP ALLEN

[dsn_klr650] headlight guard

Post by PHILIP ALLEN » Tue Apr 25, 2000 1:10 pm

John   I used the following attachment method;   Cut the plexiglass about 1/4" larger than the headlight and round off the corners. Measure the top edge of the plexiglass and cut one length of 1/2" wide velcro to this length. Then cut the velcro lengthways to make two strips.   Stick the fuzzy side velcro to the top and bottom edges of the plexiglass using contact adhesive or epoxy. When dry stick the hook side of the velcro to the corresponding positions above and below the headlight opening. Attach plexiglass accordingly. This worked very well for me over 12000km and I could still remove the guard for cleaning etc. Also no holes in plastic.   hope this helps     Phil    was A13 now DRZ400S

R. Kaub

Post by R. Kaub » Tue Apr 25, 2000 1:24 pm

>Has anyone built a headlight protector? I'm thinking >of a lexan or pexiglass piece to fit over the >headlight. I haven't figured out how to mount it on >yet. 4 standoff bolts in the faring around the >headlight would work, but I don't really want to put 4 >holes in my faring if I can find any other way to do >it. >>>>
John: I bought a rectangular piece of clear, 1/8" thick lexan (polycarbonate) plastic and attached it with velcro strips around the perimeter of the headlight opening. It's been there for over a year and has never given any trouble. Thanks. Bob Kaub

ephilride@aol.com

Post by ephilride@aol.com » Tue Apr 25, 2000 1:27 pm

In a message dated 04/25/2000 2:00:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jeddorian@... writes:
> Has anyone built a headlight protector? I'm thinking > of a lexan or pexiglass piece to fit over the > headlight. I haven't figured out how to mount it on > yet. 4 standoff bolts in the faring around the > headlight would work, but I don't really want to put 4 > holes in my faring if I can find any other way to do > it. > > Anyone have any ideas? >
Use lexan and sticky back velcro. I have seen high dollar protectors for the oilhead BMW's that were nothing more than a rectangular piece of lexan with 4 dots of white sticky back velcro on them. Cut the lexan to size, stick on the complete velcro dot. Next remove the remaining backing from the Velcro and position over the headlight. To remove, simply pull off, the velcro stays on their respective parts. Lexan (GE) and Velcro(DuPont) are trademarks (TM) of their respective companies. For a cheap source of lexan, try your industrial plastics supplier. I can buy a years supply of scraps for $10 -perfect for MC do-dads. Velcro dots can be found at office supply stores. The lexan/velcro trick also makes a nice GPS mount. - Yes, I like the rat bike look. Ernie P. - who is working very hard to inform DSN subscribers of the superior (and inferior) qualities of the mighty XR-L. Subscribe now or miss it! hint 1. ShimCalc not needed.

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:51 am

I was just going to ask that question. Is there a bark buster, The steel or metal thing that goes around the grips that i can use the stock hand gards with? My dealer says No, Wants me to buy some off beat ugly white things. -O- i have the pretty Y2K green one, Mike In a message dated 4/25/00 1:01:21 PM EST, jeddorian@... writes: << They look great. I'm in the process of trimming down the stock handguards to fit inside the barkbusters. >>

John Laybolt

Post by John Laybolt » Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:56 am

Hi Mike, I bought a standard set of Answer(??) Barkbusters. A bit of force was required to shape them correctly. They eventually fit nicely. I did have to trim the ball off both levers, brake and clutch. A little green cap from home depot went on the fresh lever ends. I attacked the stock hand guards with a scroll saw, file and emery paper. a fair bit of trimming was needed to make it fit inside the barkbuster. I have only finished the right one so far. I think it looks great. Haven't test ridden it yet, will do the left side tonight. John --- TLrydr@... wrote:
> I was just going to ask that question. Is there > a bark buster, The steel > or metal thing that goes around the grips that i can > use the stock hand gards > with? > My dealer says No, Wants me to buy some off beat > ugly white things. > -O- i have the pretty Y2K green one, > > > Mike > > In a message dated 4/25/00 1:01:21 PM EST, > jeddorian@... writes: > > trimming down the stock handguards to fit inside > the > barkbusters. >>
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:19 pm

> > I was just going to ask that question. Is there a bark buster, The >steel >or metal thing that goes around the grips that i can use the stock hand >gards >with? > My dealer says No, Wants me to buy some off beat ugly white things. > -O- i have the pretty Y2K green one, > > Mike
Mike, I've got them; they're made by Moose. I purchased them from Kurt S, who probably bought them from Fred at Arrowhead Sports. Bogdan ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:24 pm

-----Original Message----- From: John Laybolt To: TLrydr@... ; DSN_klr650@egroups.com DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 9:56 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Headlight Guard
>MY Barkbusters are from majier and so are hand guards. they have a
bigger bend no cutting any balls off. steve becker http://www.angelfire.com/on2/thecycleward
>Hi Mike, > >I bought a standard set of Answer(??) Barkbusters. A >bit of force was required to shape them correctly. >They eventually fit nicely. I did have to trim the >ball off both levers, brake and clutch. A little >green cap from home depot went on the fresh lever >ends. > >I attacked the stock hand guards with a scroll saw, >file and emery paper. a fair bit of trimming was >needed to make it fit inside the barkbuster. I have >only finished the right one so far. I think it looks >great. Haven't test ridden it yet, will do the left >side tonight. > >John > > >--- TLrydr@... wrote: >> I was just going to ask that question. Is there >> a bark buster, The steel >> or metal thing that goes around the grips that i can >> use the stock hand gards >> with? >> My dealer says No, Wants me to buy some off beat >> ugly white things. >> -O- i have the pretty Y2K green one, >> >> >> Mike >> >> In a message dated 4/25/00 1:01:21 PM EST, >> jeddorian@... writes: >> >> > trimming down the stock handguards to fit inside >> the >> barkbusters. >> > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites. >http://invites.yahoo.com > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com: >http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/3/_/911801/_/956768169/ >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com >

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Thu Apr 27, 2000 7:59 am

John, Thanks for the info. Mike In a message dated 4/26/00 11:40:35 AM EST, jeddorian@... writes: << . Haven't test ridden it yet, will do the left side tonight. John >>

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Thu Apr 27, 2000 8:04 am

I sure wasn't looking foreward to cutting my ball off, A lot of women in this area would be pissed, LOL> Mike In a message dated 4/26/00 12:26:20 PM EST, sabecker@... writes: << >MY Barkbusters are from majier and so are hand guards. they have a bigger bend no cutting any balls off. >>

John Laybolt

Post by John Laybolt » Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:32 am

I had to cut both my balls off. They're lying on the garage floor. I just haven't been the same since... very traumatic. --- TLrydr@... wrote:
> I sure wasn't looking foreward to cutting my ball > off, A lot of women in > this area would be pissed, LOL> > > Mike > > > In a message dated 4/26/00 12:26:20 PM EST, > sabecker@... writes: > > MY Barkbusters are from majier and so are hand > guards. they have a > bigger bend no cutting any balls off. >> >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online and get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/