[dsn_klr650] ride

DSN_KLR650
Ted Palmer

[dsn_klr650] poor cold starting

Post by Ted Palmer » Tue Apr 25, 2000 10:08 am

Mike Cook wrote: [bad cold starts]
> I have cleaned the AIR filter,spark plug, added a battery (it was rewired to > not use one), replaced the Gas tank filter, cleaned the carb (main & idle > jets). Amazingly the carb looks prettly clean. Checked the little boot > over the choke cable.
Rewired not to use a battery? I never heard of that one before. Geez, did the previous owner sell the bike because the electric start didn't work? It must have taken awful fast kicking to start it without a battery. What sort of ambient temperature are you trying to start in? Where is the pilot screw set to? It sounds like at least the idle system is awful lean. Did the jet sizes match up to factory specs (#40 idle, #135 main)? While the manual says the pilot screw should be 1.375-1.5 turns out, I've found on my aussie bike that best idle is around 2.0-2.5 turns out.
> The only area I didn't open up was the enricher > dirphram (thinking that if I remove it, it will need to be replaced).
The coasting enricher should be able to be removed and replaced without damage. If it's damaged when you take it off then it probably needed replacing anyway. You could have a leak in or around the rubber carb-to-head adapter which could be sucking air. Mister_T -- \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\ | RC17 KLR600 Roces BCN P430VAEM FreeBSD 2.2.5-R | | Team RC17 Australia http://replicant.apana.org.au/~viking/ | \|_________________________________________________________________|

James Alden

[dsn_klr650] ride

Post by James Alden » Tue Apr 25, 2000 8:23 pm

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the sight glass/oil issue was more interesting? But then I'm from the Southwest where men are men and then sometimes they are women 8^). Jim A13 SWAMPY! wrote:
> So I changed the subject heading but i feel it was needed. > > I can understand how some listers are not interested in any landuse issue or > what is going on with the national forests or where ever. I also know that > the issues here on the East of the Mississippi are different from those on > the western side, mostly due to total population and those pressures on the > lands. Remember, out west is still pretty much wide open, here in the east > it's filling up quite quickly. > > However, It is relevant KLR content and effects many listers, nay, all > listers as it is an attack on motorcycling as a whole. And as a large group > we must defend the whole, whether it affects you directly or not. It's like > saying that it's okay for a country to attack Rhode Island because it > doesn't effect me in Kansas. > > How are these issues relevent to KLR? The KLR is a dual sport motorcycle, > and people use their KLRs for a wide variety of things. Some will load up > with luggage and head out to Moad, some will just pull out of their driveway > and head for a local forest road. Dual sporting encompasses road and dirt > riding. It does not matter what percentage of paved road you ride, nor does > it measure how dirt oriented you get. Heck, I'll go out in the garage, get > the KTM and ride 30 miles to our local ORV area, put some time in on the > single track trails, maybe swing by a few favorite forest roads on the way > home and call it a day. Or I may saddle up the KLR with camping gear and > head out for the Georgia mountains exploring some dirt roads and the > twisties. Either way, I'm dual sporting. You can't claim one is good and one > is bad. You must defend both. > > And yes, the dirt bikes and atv riders are the one's that use these orv > areas the most (but dual sporters do as well). That does not require a ban, > that requires education and compliance with rules and regulations and > enforcement of laws and regulations. And on the other hand, I have > personally, broke sweat and blood and have enjoyed the pleasure of blisters > helping some ORV organizations take care of these facilities by digging run > off ditches, trimming trees, digging fencepost holes and building a fence, > and mapping an area for the forestry departments > > So for those of you who are "bothered" with these issues, scan the subject > matter of the mail and just delete the messege. But I would prefer to be > informed. And yes, some folks will turn it into a political bashing of > someone, no matter who's in office. But that's part of being a democracy. We > must be tolerant of others viewpoints even if they offend and contridict our > own. Key word...tolerance. And personal responsibilty is shown by deleting > any offending messege. Remember, you DO NOT have to respond to anything you > DO NOT want to. > > No matter what you believe, and how you wish to lay blame, there is an > assault on access to public lands. ORV areas are threatend. Forest roads are > threatened. And dual sporters use both of these. So please don't judge how > others use their dual sport motorcycles based only on your own riding > habits, look at the greater picture of dual sporting. Indifference is the > first step towards totalitarianism. Minimize no one regardless of what they > do, or how they do it. > > The KLR is a dual sport motorcycle. So these are important to KLR riders. > > KLR content...... yes. > > Swampy > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com: > http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/3/_/911801/_/956697648/ > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com