[dsn_klr650] fyi klr police units

DSN_KLR650
Tumu Rock

[dsn_klr650] brandnewbie: let the good times roll! (tm)

Post by Tumu Rock » Fri Apr 21, 2000 4:17 am

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:33:39 -0000, Eric A13L wrote:
> 1. Changing oil after the first 100 mi., then every 200 mi. until 1000?
(from a book in the library published in 1972, it's gotta
> be right?)
Haven't heard that one but I'm pretty new to the bike world and bought mine used.
> 2. Mineral 20W50 for break in, then semi-synth or full synth > afterwards? (manual says SE, SF, or SG class; one of which maybe IS a
synth. or a blend?) Concerns about clutch slippage? Like I said, mine was already broken in but I switched to Synthetic Mobil 1 15w50 and haven't had any clutch probs, yet. A lot of listers have done the dino til first service, some go to the first 1000 miles before switching. Then others will tell it's a waste of money. Gotta just trust your gut on that one.
> 3. Hot/cold spark plugs seasonally?
I haven't touched my plug since I bought it (I swear, Ma!). From Sub-zero days to 85 (fahrenheit of course) and no problems.
> 4. High-altitude mods needed? Low maintenance solutions?
I live at sea level. Low maintenance? Leave it stock.
> 5. Is 5th gear revved out at hwy speeds with a dirt countersprocket?
I've got stock gearing...
> 6. Type of brake fluid shipped from the factory? (man. says must flush
system if brand/type change. They make 3 recommendations, I know, but ???) Couldna tell ya
> 7. Where can I buy the Moose bash plate,
Almost anywhere that sells motostuff could order it for ya (look out for the "local dealer thread" backlash) or call our fellow lister Fred at Arrowhead Motor Sports. http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com He's got some of the best testimonials for customer service EVER. Check the archives if you don't beleive me.
>
BTW, welcome to a great group of gearheads who somehow still find time to get online and help each other out...or flame each other; depending on the mood ring on Borg's finger. ;'> dat brooklyn bum _______________________________________________________ Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite Visit http://freelane.excite.com/freeisp

Cdekmg@aol.com

[dsn_klr650] fyi klr police units

Post by Cdekmg@aol.com » Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:48 am

In a message dated 4/20/100 11:59:23 AM EST, ajp1@... writes: << KLRs have been used as police bikes in California; San Francisco and Eureka (at least) . -----Original Message----- Listers, ... KLR's are used as police bikes south of the border I hear. Just say no to light wagging, Gary >> Yes, I have seen KLR's being used by police while at concerts at SF's Golden Gate Park's Polo Fields to ride around on the grass.--Charles

Kurt Simpson

[dsn_klr650] brandnewbie: let the good times roll! (tm)

Post by Kurt Simpson » Fri Apr 21, 2000 6:22 am

> 1. Changing oil after the first 100 mi., then every 200 mi. until > 1000? (from a book in the library published in 1972, it's gotta > be right?)
the list wisdom would suggest this is overkill, but if you can afford it and it suits your fancy go for it...
> 2. Mineral 20W50 for break in, then semi-synth or full synth > afterwards? (manual says SE, SF, or SG class; one of which maybe > IS a synth. or a blend?) Concerns about clutch slippage?
we don't talk about oil here anymore..
> 3. Hot/cold spark plugs seasonally?
overkill unless you're experiencing difficulty
> 4. High-altitude mods needed? Low maintenance solutions?
IMO, all bikes can benefit from drilling the plug on the pilot jet and checking its setting. mine was 7/8" turn from the factory. I tried 21/2 and ended up at 2 turns. I also like the adjustable needle and drilling the carb slide. So, this pretty much amounts to a jet kit even if you elect to use the smallest main.
> 5. Is 5th gear revved out at hwy speeds with a dirt countersprocket?
not even close with a 14...there have only been one or two listers that have used less...
> 6. Type of brake fluid shipped from the factory? (man. says must > flush system if brand/type change. They make 3 recommendations, > I know, but ???)
the main thing is to use only fresh unopened bottles...I think most of us use DOT 4, you can mix DOT 3 and 4 (but why do that if you're changing), stay away from DOT 5 and don't mix it with the others...
> 7. Where can I buy the Moose bash plate,
Fred buys them directly from the people who make them and is on the cutting edge of having them modified to suit the list's experience...I would suggest you support that effort... moabmc@... .