[dsn_klr650] spam (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
David Kleber

[dsn_klr650] first extended ride

Post by David Kleber » Sun Apr 16, 2000 1:04 pm

"Ralph E. Hanson" wrote:
> Second, it's really easy to drop a bike. I was just pulling into the > dealership's parking lot, and I simply fell over. Not really sure what I > did wrong other than probably stop moving forward. The entrance to the lot > was bumpy with scattered gravel, but I don't think that anything other than > rider error was to blame.
I dropped mine the second time I had it out. I got on a muddy downhill dirt road that kept getting steeper and steeper. I figured I'd better turn around before I got down too far and couldn't get back up. As I was attempting to get turned around on the narrow road, the bike started to tilt and all I could do was get the hell out of the way. I must say that the sucker is a lot heavier than I thought it was. Fortunately, like your drop, I didn't break anything either.
> Fourth, there are some really good dealers around.
I can't find one in the Pittsurgh area. With very few exceptions, the shops I've been to seem to usually have the attitude that you have no business being there; that they're doing YOU a big favor by letting you in. From now on, I'm doing as much of my business as possible by mail order or the Internet.
> > Sixth, I'm *really* happy with the KLR. It's got plenty of power to have > fun, but not enough to get you into big trouble. And it's light. I was > able to ride the bike reasonably aggresively (by my standards, wussy +1) > without scaring myself. I've decided I like the tall windshield. There is > some buffeting, but I like the overall protection it provides. I haven't > decided yet on whether I want a 16-tooth front sprocket. I'm going to give > that some thought in the weeks to come. I do know that I kept reaching for > a sixth gear. Does that consitute evidence that I want the higher gearing? > It strikes me that the real power on the bike is between 2500 and 5000. > I've been commuting to work for the last last week, and it's perfect for > that.
I agree with you, Ralph. I kept going for the missing Sixth Gear, too. I wonder why they didn't put one on the KLR 650? My A7 seems to be most comfortable running at 3000 - 4500 rpm. Going 70 mph I'm hitting about 5000+ rpm. But in the woods, on a tight trail, first gear is almost too high of a gear ratio, so I have no intention of putting on a bigger front sprocket. The sixth gear would make the bike much better, if you ask me. I still do love the bike, though. I'd be out right now, but I got my first flat tire ever in over 15 years of riding within the first two weeks of ownership of my KLR :^( I'm going to make a trip in to one of the dreaded dealers tomorrow to get the tube changed. Hopefully I'll have a pleasant experience. -Dave Kleber 1994 KLR 650 Pittsburgh, PA http://www.city-net.com/~davekle/
> Enuff. > > Ralph > > Ralph Hanson > 1999 KLR 650 > rhanson@... > http://www.wvu.edu/~journal2 > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Here Bunny Bunny... > Check it Out > http://click.egroups.com/1/3123/3/_/911801/_/955896936/ > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Bogdan Swider

[dsn_klr650] first extended ride

Post by Bogdan Swider » Sun Apr 16, 2000 6:48 pm

> Second, it's really easy to drop a bike. I was just pulling into the > dealership's parking lot, and I simply fell over. Not really sure what I > did wrong other than probably stop moving forward. The entrance to the > lot was bumpy with scattered gravel, but I don't think that anything other > than rider error was to blame. >
Ralph, even a small amount of gravel on pavement can send you down if the bike goes into it anything but perpendicular to the ground. They lay tons of the stuff on the roads here in Colorado every Winter and Spring. I always fall when I'm not looking out for it; last time in the parking lot of a favorite dinner. Bogdan

vnelsonv@aol.com

[dsn_klr650] spam (nklr)

Post by vnelsonv@aol.com » Tue Apr 18, 2000 2:29 pm

Bogdan wrote:
> My favorite camping food is Spam (the meat product) curry. You shred > the Spam and add a clove of garlic, a small onion and a dried red pepper > or two. To this you add curry powder from an Indian (as in Hindu) market. > Can't get good curry powder? It also works great with sweet red powdered > Chili from the Mexican food section. Add a little water and cook for at > least a half hour in a covered caste iron pot. Serve with tortillas,
crackers,
> Bimbo bread or whatever. Non of the ingredients need refrigeration. I never > take a cooler when I camp alone. Another advantage of drinking hard > booze or wine.
Bogdan: I like everything in your favorite camp food except that damn Spam. I can't believe you eat that stuff. I can't even look at it without imagining what went in to it. Maybe after the hard booze or wine? BTW: I enjoyed your "caste iron pot" pun -- subtle, yet obvious after your Indian (as in Hindu) reference. --Verle Nelson