rear racks

DSN_KLR650
Mark Wilson

[dsn_klr650] progressive springs

Post by Mark Wilson » Sat Apr 08, 2000 4:12 pm

You dont have to take the forks off, I didnt. You only need to take them off to change fork boots or seals.   Mark Wilson http://www.geocities.com/motormark64/ http://www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/ KLR-650 A-13 " Warthogg"  & XR250R too Stone Mountain, Ga ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] hubinsur@... [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@egroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, April 08, 2000 5:02 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_klr650] Progressive Springs The instructions posted in the achives say you must remove forks to change springs. I've put progressive springs in other bikes and never removed the forks. What is so different about the KLR, it looks pretty straight forward, I'm planning on just popping the caps off, pull the stock ones out then drop the new ones in.   Any thoughts or random comments?   Thumper John

A13rider@aol.com

Post by A13rider@aol.com » Sat Apr 08, 2000 4:28 pm

You do not have to remove forks to replace springs but should loosen the top triple clamps. Will save you ruining the threads on the fork caps. Jim-A13-Cocoa

Don Davis

Post by Don Davis » Mon Apr 10, 2000 1:23 pm

>From: "zootpatutie" > >I didn't loosen the triple clamps when I did mine. Spacer needs to be shortened >1/2" to 1". Oil should be changed at the same time and I think is 420ml or 7 >1/2" from the top of the tube. (check the archives)
Be careful, the newer silver colored progressive springs require the stock spacers be cut 2 inches. Cheers, Don A14

Krgrife@aol.com

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Mon Apr 10, 2000 7:00 pm

In a message dated 4/10/00 4:55:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, S2Mumford@... writes: << I just replaced my front boingers with the Roessler Progressives ( the shiny new ones) and now when I gas it around a corner, my rear end feels like it is squatting real bad and feels squirly. I don't like it. Before, with the stock suspension, the back tire felt a lot more "planted". Does the installation of these springs change the steering geometry ? I also replaced the stock tires with some Kenda 270's at the same time... maybe this is contributing to the squirly feel? >> I've been using the Kendas for 15,000 miles now and while I like them for their off-pavement qualities, low price and durability they are definately a little "squirly" going around corners. Take a look at those big soft knobs that you're riding on when leaned over and I think you'll understand. I just don't corner as hard with them as I do with more pavement oriented tires. Kurt Grife

ATO137528@aol.com

Post by ATO137528@aol.com » Tue Apr 11, 2000 8:40 am

I just put Kenda 270's on my bike too. They are really squirley on the pavement and feels like I'm riding on a flat. Be VERY careful leaning the bike over. I've found it necessary to employ the off-road riding position for attacking paved torns now (ie sit on the back of the tank to keep the front planted, elbows up, and foot out waiting for the back tire to loose grip and drift). They work EXCELLENT in the dirt, though. try increasing the spring rate on the shock if you feel like the bike is squatting in the back...it helped mine. Lamar A14

Alex Sfakianos

rear racks

Post by Alex Sfakianos » Mon Apr 17, 2000 10:37 pm

Hallo all, very active list judging by the huge amount of stuff in my box this evening. I have just bought a '00 KLR 650 in Albuquerque NM from a guy who had it 2 weeks before his wife decided he didn't really want it after all. I saved the Givi bags from my TDM but am slightly confused about racks. My dealer tells me 5-stars are still available, the Archives, and Gino say no, a lot of the postings talk about other brands.... Can anyone who has had this problem tell me the solution? Do I need to throw away the Givi bags or not? yours in expectation Alex Sfakianos axel @...