chain slack questions/countersprocket bearings

DSN_KLR650
Cdekmg@aol.com

chain slack questions/countersprocket bearings

Post by Cdekmg@aol.com » Fri Apr 14, 2000 6:42 pm

I read discussions in the archives about this, and it would seem that looser is better than tighter. Sorry, I had archive search burnout and hope this question isn't beating a dead dog too badly. With heavier riders, 2-up, luggage, etc., the manuals spec of slack seems too tight. I'm light, and with luggage and my weight, there is not much slack left, far less then the 5-6 inches of suspension travel left over. So, from what I read/per the manual it would seem that excessive chain/sprocket wear could result from inadequate slack. My main question is: could a tight chain result in damage to the countersprocket shaft bearings? Has anybody ever had these bearings fail or need replacing? Why did it happen, do you think it was the result of not enough chain slack? It would seem that for the average rider with the chain adjusted to spec, that if you go 2-up with luggage (or even less weight) that the chain is stretched tight all the time. What kind of problems have people had because of lack of slack? Or, are these bearings really, really tough? It would seem they would have to be to take all that force and torque. TIA, Charles