[dsn_klr650] spacer length w/newer progressive springs

DSN_KLR650
Barry Mcpherron

[dsn_klr650] mx style rear fender for klr

Post by Barry Mcpherron » Mon Apr 10, 2000 3:18 pm

Now that I know that it can be done, you could buy the fender with the light already in it. I don't want the inner license plate bracket though as it hits the tire when compressing the suspension hard. Here's how I did the mod: (following Gino's comment)
> Doesn't Acerbis make a street legal fender already? I've been > thinking about doing this also -along with getting rid of the > mini-fairing, not for lightweight but to compete with the auto-muffler > rat bike. I simply will not be out done for uniqueness! :-) > > Gino
It was really quite easy. I got the idea from the Acerbis website when looking at a picture of a "vintage" replacement rear fender on an old MX bike. On the older bikes the fender mounted "inside" the frame, so the rear frame loop was visible. (See the Acerbis website and you will see what I mean). I purchased the Universal rear UFO fender from my local shop ($17.00). I bought a white one since my '91 is primarily white, but they come in several colors. 1) Remove the original KLR rear fender. (I already had the turnsignals and luggage rack off). Unplug the wiring harness at the molex connector under the seat. This will leave all wiring intact in the KLR fender. 2) Slip the UFO fender under the frame rails and over the inner Black fender/shock splash guard. 3) Mark and drill 2 holes where the inner fender nut brackets are located. This is where the KLR fender used to attach. Attach the UFO fender here. 4) Hold the fender up against the frame loop and mark 3 points (left, right, and center of loop. Carefully drill through the fender and into the frame tubes. 5) Attached fender to the frame tubes using 1/4" sheet metal screws with washers. That's basically it. It really cleans up the look of the bike, and the nice thing is you can always put it back to stock if you want by just reinstalling the stock klr stuff and silicone sealing the 3 small holes drilled in the frame. You will notice that there are two mounting points visible on top of the frame where the luggage rack used to mount to. This is a perfect place to mount an XR style tool pack. This will hide these brackets and provide a place for carrying some tools and patches. There are also two small brackets where the turn signals mounted through the fender. You can remount a set of short stalk turnsignals here or just leave it as-is. I think I'm going to order the tail light/license plate light from Maier ($15.00) from Dennis Kirk and wire it up to accept the stock harness. This will bring the total cost of the mod to about $35.00. I will take some pictures and try to get them scanned in in the next week or so. Barry '91 KLR 650

Don Davis

[dsn_klr650] spacer length w/newer progressive springs

Post by Don Davis » Mon Apr 10, 2000 4:35 pm

At 03:53 PM 04/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>off the old spacer and put those two inch spacers in the fork. Some >recent posts seem to indicate that I was supposed to cut two inches off >the stock spacers and then put them back in the forks. Which is the >correct procedure? > >Tom Erickson >
I made one of those recent posts that said to cut off 2" from the stock spacers. After reading your post I remembered that I had used 2" (PVC) spacers, as opposed to cutting off 2" from the stock ones. Sorry about that Tom. Cheers, Don A14