zippo hand warmers, & camping? (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
dooden

shift lever

Post by dooden » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:39 pm

I think I went up two splines after taking a large flat steel washer, welded it to the backside of the shifter and doing a few minutes of grinder work. Tada... cost me nothing, other than a plain ole washer and maybe 3 inches of welder wire off the spool and a hit of nitrogen. Orginally got nervious with all the talk about shifters falling apart on people, so took it off to inspect the weld, got a spare off ebay (OEM) that I carry in a fanny pack straped the rack. BTW the weld was fine, as was the one from eBay. Much rather have the lighter stock shifter bend/break in a fall than have some monster made beast bend the shaft it sits on. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley wrote: > > I ordered an a/m shifter from H-T, but while waiting for it, I raised > the stock lever up about 3 clicks on the spline. Works pretty well > now just by doing that. I have an unusally fat (top to bottom) left > "street" shoe d/t custom frankenstein footware. Even with those huge > shoes, the lever works much better with that simple change. I am > still going to put the H-T shift lever on when it comes to protect > the case a little. But the short answer is that I worry too much! > > Doug - who always looks for the expensive way out. > > > > On Mar 12, 2006, at 2:49 , Randall Marbach wrote: > > > I had the same problem with my size 14 Alpinestars and > > the stock and dualstar shifters. I went to the IMS > > shifter plus I cut the first rung off my left IMS > > footpeg. Seems to work OK now. > > > > HTH > > > > Randy from Burbank > > > > --- Douglas Bouley wrote: > > > >> Got new size 14 1/2 Sidi boots (nice). Now I can't > >> get my toes under > >> the stock shift lever. (I've got bum feet, but can > >> shift semi-OK with > >> soft athletic shoes). > >> > >> This doesn't look like something I can grow into. > >> The toes simply are > >> nowhere near able to catch the shifter tip. Have to > >> shift with heel, > >> which isn't that bad on the road, but... > >> > >> I think it might be wiser to fix the shifter than to > >> ride with soft > >> shoes. i see that the IMS is 3/4 inch longer than > >> stock. That might > >> help, but I also see other shifters with a built-in > >> pad thingy to > >> help protect the case behind it. I imagine changing > >> the angle of the > >> shifter on the spline might help, too. > >> > >> Looking for suggestions... > >> > >> Thanks much, > >> TOD (The Other Doug) > >> > >> > >> Archive Quicksearch at: > >> > > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > >> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > >> www.dualsportnews.com > >> List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > >> www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >> Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > >> Yahoo! Groups Links > >> > >> > >> DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail.yahoo.com > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/ > > klr650_data_search.html > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

chris kelly

shift lever

Post by chris kelly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:58 pm

I broke the lever on my 2005 KLR650.  I need new one, has anyone used the longer "stronger" ones that Fred sells ? Did you feel it was worth extra money over OEM shift lever
Chris

you may think you can, & you make think you can't... and you're right!!

Jeff Saline

shift lever

Post by Jeff Saline » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 pm

#ygrps-yiv-847146084 .ygrps-yiv-847146084ygrp-photo-title { TEXT-ALIGN:center;WIDTH:75px;HEIGHT:15px;CLEAR:both;FONT-SIZE:smaller;OVERFLOW:hidden;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084ygrp-photo { BORDER-BOTTOM:black 1px solid;BORDER-LEFT:black 1px solid;BACKGROUND-COLOR:white;WIDTH:62px;BACKGROUND-REPEAT:no-repeat;BACKGROUND-POSITION:center 50%;HEIGHT:62px;BORDER-TOP:black 1px solid;BORDER-RIGHT:black 1px solid;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084photo-title A { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084photo-title A:active { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084photo-title A:hover { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084photo-title A:visited { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-row { CLEAR:both;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-row DIV { FLOAT:left;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 P { PADDING-BOTTOM:3px;PADDING-LEFT:0px;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;CLEAR:both;OVERFLOW:hidden;PADDING-TOP:15px;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084ygrp-file { WIDTH:30px;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-row DIV DIV A { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084attach-row DIV DIV SPAN { FONT-WEIGHT:normal;} #ygrps-yiv-847146084 DIV.ygrps-yiv-847146084ygrp-file-title { FONT-WEIGHT:bold;} On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:58:20 -0800 (PST) chris kelly writes:   I broke the lever on my 2005 KLR650.  I need new one, has anyone used the longer "stronger" ones that Fred sells ? Did you feel it was worth extra money over OEM shift lever Chris   you may think you can, & you make think you can't... and you're right!! <><><><><><> <><><><><><>   Chris,   I don't know about the shift lever Fred sells but I bet it is good.  I put an aftermarket shift lever on my KLR in 2004 and I think it was from Dual Star which I understand is finally out of business.  I did that on advice from this list but have other thoughts now that I have a couple of miles on my KLR.   The Gen I KLR stock shift lever had a reputation as a bad player.  The weak part was the weld where the lever mounted to the shift shaft.  It would often crack and make shifting tough or it would outright break at the weld.  The fix for many was to replace it before it broke.  Some would fix the weld and never have a problem again.   My thought is the stock shift lever is easy to fix with a couple of small welds.  I think it might be better to have a shift lever that bends instead of having a stronger shift lever that might not bend and instead cause the shifter shaft to bend.  One other mod to the stock shift lever is to add part of a large flat washer to the engine side of the toe end.  That spreads the load if the lever is ever bent into the engine.  Many aftermarket shift levers have a piece that does that.   A guy could also change the length of the stock lever pretty easily if that is needed to allow a large foot/boot to use the shifter.   Best, Jeff Saline The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . . . . ____________________________________________________________ [b]Never Eat This Carb[/b] Literally Never! 1 Easy Tip to Increase Fat Burning, Lower Blood Sugar FixYourBloodSugar.com

Larry Hall

shift lever

Post by Larry Hall » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:56 pm

I have not...but did buy an IMS one that's a bit longer than stock. Very solid and have had no issues to date. Have heard these are tough..but a bit more expensive than others. Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: Jeff Saline Date:02/05/2014 12:14 AM (GMT-05:00) To: onephreeone@... Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] shift lever   On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:58:20 -0800 (PST) chris kelly writes:   I broke the lever on my 2005 KLR650.  I need new one, has anyone used the longer "stronger" ones that Fred sells ? Did you feel it was worth extra money over OEM shift lever Chris   you may think you can, & you make think you can't... and you're right!! <><><><><><> <><><><><><>   Chris,   I don't know about the shift lever Fred sells but I bet it is good.  I put an aftermarket shift lever on my KLR in 2004 and I think it was from Dual Star which I understand is finally out of business.  I did that on advice from this list but have other thoughts now that I have a couple of miles on my KLR.   The Gen I KLR stock shift lever had a reputation as a bad player.  The weak part was the weld where the lever mounted to the shift shaft.  It would often crack and make shifting tough or it would outright break at the weld.  The fix for many was to replace it before it broke.  Some would fix the weld and never have a problem again.   My thought is the stock shift lever is easy to fix with a couple of small welds.  I think it might be better to have a shift lever that bends instead of having a stronger shift lever that might not bend and instead cause the shifter shaft to bend.  One other mod to the stock shift lever is to add part of a large flat washer to the engine side of the toe end.  That spreads the load if the lever is ever bent into the engine.  Many aftermarket shift levers have a piece that does that.   A guy could also change the length of the stock lever pretty easily if that is needed to allow a large foot/boot to use the shifter.   Best, Jeff Saline The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . . . . ____________________________________________________________ [b]Never Eat This Carb[/b] Literally Never! 1 Easy Tip to Increase Fat Burning, Lower Blood Sugar FixYourBloodSugar.com

Fred Hink

shift lever

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I sell three different shift levers for the KLR.  The IMS was the first aftermarket shift lever that I knew about a long time ago.  It was better than the stock shift lever because the shape of the metal used allowed for some give and didn t transfer any bending to the weld at the attaching point on the shift lever like the OEM shift lever does.  The stock shift lever is made from much thinner material and is shaped in a U where all aftermarket shift levers for the KLR are more flat.  The difference between the different shift levers are mostly in the thickness and width of the bar stock.  The IMS uses a thinner but wider bar where the Moose (McDonald s mfg) is slightly thicker but not as wide.  McDonald s makes them for most everyone but IMS and MSR.  The MSR seems to be made from one piece (no welds) and is much more rounded than the others.  The MSR is only available in the stock length where the IMS is only offered in a longer (3/4 ) length and the Moose is offered in both longer and stock lengths.  I don t stock the IMS shift lever much anymore since they have become more difficult to find.  I sell mostly the Moose shift lever and I believe it is the strongest of the lot.  I have never heard of any shift shafts being bent because of a shift lever being too strong.  I would suspect the stock shift lever would be stiffer since it is U shaped and could be more prone to bending a shift shaft up until the weld breaks.  The flat bar stock type of shift lever would bend sideways easier in a crash and is more easily straightened in case it gets bent.   I believe all aftermarket shift levers are better than the OEM shift lever and the after market levers are at least $10 cheaper.   Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] salinej1@... [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:14 PM [b]To:[/b] onephreeone@... [b]Cc:[/b] DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] shift lever    

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:58:20 -0800 (PST) chris kelly writes:   I broke the lever on my 2005 KLR650.  I need new one, has anyone used the longer "stronger" ones that Fred sells ? Did you feel it was worth extra money over OEM shift lever Chris   you may think you can, & you make think you can't... and you're right!! <><><><><><> <><><><><><>   Chris,   I don't know about the shift lever Fred sells but I bet it is good.  I put an aftermarket shift lever on my KLR in 2004 and I think it was from Dual Star which I understand is finally out of business.  I did that on advice from this list but have other thoughts now that I have a couple of miles on my KLR.   The Gen I KLR stock shift lever had a reputation as a bad player.  The weak part was the weld where the lever mounted to the shift shaft.  It would often crack and make shifting tough or it would outright break at the weld.  The fix for many was to replace it before it broke.  Some would fix the weld and never have a problem again.   My thought is the stock shift lever is easy to fix with a couple of small welds.  I think it might be better to have a shift lever that bends instead of having a stronger shift lever that might not bend and instead cause the shifter shaft to bend.  One other mod to the stock shift lever is to add part of a large flat washer to the engine side of the toe end.  That spreads the load if the lever is ever bent into the engine.  Many aftermarket shift levers have a piece that does that.   A guy could also change the length of the stock lever pretty easily if that is needed to allow a large foot/boot to use the shifter.   Best, Jeff Saline The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . . . . ____________________________________________________________ [b]Never Eat This Carb[/b] Literally Never! 1 Easy Tip to Increase Fat Burning, Lower Blood Sugar FixYourBloodSugar.com

Jeff Khoury

shift lever

Post by Jeff Khoury » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 pm

I have the Moose extended lever in conjunction with the $15.00 Chinese metal pegs. The setup works well and it has taken a few hits and has caught on foliage several times. It has held up perfectly. It stays tight, doesn't rub the case and fits my boots and feet just right with the metal pegs. I endorse it. -Jeff Khoury
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Hink" To: onephreeone@..., "Jeff Saline" Cc: "DSN klr650" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:36:32 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] shift lever I sell three different shift levers for the KLR. The IMS was the first aftermarket shift lever that I knew about a long time ago. It was better than the stock shift lever because the shape of the metal used allowed for some give and didn t transfer any bending to the weld at the attaching point on the shift lever like the OEM shift lever does. The stock shift lever is made from much thinner material and is shaped in a U where all aftermarket shift levers for the KLR are more flat. The difference between the different shift levers are mostly in the thickness and width of the bar stock. The IMS uses a thinner but wider bar where the Moose (McDonald s mfg) is slightly thicker but not as wide. McDonald s makes them for most everyone but IMS and MSR. The MSR seems to be made from one piece (no welds) and is much more rounded than the others. The MSR is only available in the stock length where the IMS is only offered in a longer (3/4 ) length and the Moose is offered in both longer and stock lengths. I don t stock the IMS shift lever much anymore since they have become more difficult to find. I sell mostly the Moose shift lever and I believe it is the strongest of the lot. I have never heard of any shift shafts being bent because of a shift lever being too strong. I would suspect the stock shift lever would be stiffer since it is U shaped and could be more prone to bending a shift shaft up until the weld breaks. The flat bar stock type of shift lever would bend sideways easier in a crash and is more easily straightened in case it gets bent. I believe all aftermarket shift levers are better than the OEM shift lever and the after market levers are at least $10 cheaper. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: Jeff Saline Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:14 PM To: onephreeone@... Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] shift lever On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:58:20 -0800 (PST) chris kelly < onephreeone@... > writes: I broke the lever on my 2005 KLR650. I need new one, has anyone used the longer "stronger" ones that Fred sells ? Did you feel it was worth extra money over OEM shift lever Chris you may think you can, & you make think you can't... and you're right!! <><><><><><> <><><><><><> Chris, I don't know about the shift lever Fred sells but I bet it is good. I put an aftermarket shift lever on my KLR in 2004 and I think it was from Dual Star which I understand is finally out of business. I did that on advice from this list but have other thoughts now that I have a couple of miles on my KLR. The Gen I KLR stock shift lever had a reputation as a bad player. The weak part was the weld where the lever mounted to the shift shaft. It would often crack and make shifting tough or it would outright break at the weld. The fix for many was to replace it before it broke. Some would fix the weld and never have a problem again. My thought is the stock shift lever is easy to fix with a couple of small welds. I think it might be better to have a shift lever that bends instead of having a stronger shift lever that might not bend and instead cause the shifter shaft to bend. One other mod to the stock shift lever is to add part of a large flat washer to the engine side of the toe end. That spreads the load if the lever is ever bent into the engine. Many aftermarket shift levers have a piece that does that. A guy could also change the length of the stock lever pretty easily if that is needed to allow a large foot/boot to use the shifter. Best, Jeff Saline The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . . . . ____________________________________________________________ Never Eat This Carb Literally Never! 1 Easy Tip to Increase Fat Burning, Lower Blood Sugar FixYourBloodSugar.com

achesley43@ymail.com

shift lever

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 am

I've had a Motion Pro I'm pretty sure came from Fred about 14 years ago. That's a long time for my mind to remember anything . LOL! But, after quite a few downs and many abuses, still hanging in there.  Andy in Jennings, La. Still kicking with his '00 KLR and '07 Bandit 1250S. 

Fred Hink

shift lever

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am

Andy,   If you bought this lever from me a while ago, it most likely was either an IMS or Moose/MSR (made by McDonalds mfg)  To tell the difference, the IMS is a dark gray with an IMS sticker (sometimes) on it and the others were black without stickers.   Motion Pro only makes clutch and front brake levers, no shift levers.   Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] achesley43@... [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:10 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] RE: shift lever    

I've had a Motion Pro I'm pretty sure came from Fred about 14 years ago. That's a long time for my mind to remember anything . LOL! But, after quite a few downs and many abuses, still hanging in there. Andy in Jennings, La. Still kicking with his '00 KLR and '07 Bandit 1250S.

Buddy Eckles

zippo hand warmers, & camping? (nklr)

Post by Buddy Eckles » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Hey Y'ALL
(NOTE: When I talk about backpacking/camping, topics, I AM TALKING KLR, kind of, because I like many others, take Camping, ETC. gear ON THE KLR when we travel.)
For those that have had them, share WISDOM, For those that have not....GAIN WISDOM
Other then as HANDWARMERS, What have you successfully used your hand warmer for?
I used them as a teen (40+yrs ago) ICE fishing etc) and just picked one up, thinking MAYBE.
Put it INSIDE my coat (chest pocket) thinking, keep the core warm you help the WHOLE BODY including hands.
Inside my sleeping bag as a PRE-heater, so my body does not get drained of heat warming the bag.
Hang (or near sit near by, ETC.) in a safe area in the tent in COLDER temps to help  take the chill off. 
(I KNOW, a simple WAX CANDLE lantern does well, and reduces moisture)
4. ?????????
Then there is always, sticking it a bag with Brandy, to warm it for a ........"HOT TODDY". LOL