cylinder out of round...

DSN_KLR650
Jud Jones

klr 250 service manual

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "aphampton628" wrote:
> Was he as "big" as the "average" KLR650 rider? Seriously, can a "big" guy ride a 250; I often wondered for myself. > > Alan
Not that big, but I'd say he was around 190. I'm over 250; I'd go with a pound a cc. I have seen bigger guys than that hustling an XR250 through the woods.

dooden

klr 250 service manual

Post by dooden » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Everything sounds about right, lighter, easier to toss around, the 650 is a workout but manageable for me. The highway part is what made me go to the 650, plus wife will climb on for a ride sometimes and could not see the 250 liking that much. I used to take my 80cc 2 stroke all kinds of places as a kid, got bigger and was riding a XL125, stuck a KZ400 Twin in there for a couple years. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jim Wright wrote: > > "Was he as "big" as the "average" KLR650 rider? Seriously, > can a "big" guy ride a 250; I often wondered for myself." > > I am 240 lbs, so bigger than average, and mine scoots admirably. > What is kinda fun is that you can ride it like you stole it and > not go to jail. > > I have taken it to an OHV park, all vertical (straight up or > straight down) trails, with no experience, and it not only hauled > me up and down with reasonable aplomb, but I lived to tell the tale > - a fact completely attributable to the little 250's manageability. > > Definitely fun - but not a bike for freeways... > > aphampton628 wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud Jones" wrote: > > > >> --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCauley wrote: > >> > >>> Speaking of the KLR250, how does it work as a dirt bike compared to the 650. I am sure it is much lighter, but how are the engine characteristics in the slow stuff? > >>> > >>> > >> The 250 is a perfectly serviceable play bike, a little heavy for its size but with a nice tractable power delivery. > >> > >> A couple of years ago, a guy brought one on our Copper Canyon trip. It was better than the 650s in the rough stuff, and cruised right along at 55 or 60 on the highway, with luggage. > >> > >> > > > > Was he as "big" as the "average" KLR650 rider? Seriously, can a "big" guy ride a 250; I often wondered for myself. > > > > Alan > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > >

Jud Jones

klr 250 service manual

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:06 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "roncriswell@..." wrote:
> > I have been considering buying the new KLX 250. Not gonna use it to > go cross country with but want something less piggy in rough stuff. > It is maybe 75 lbs lighter than a KLR. Anybody on the list have one? > The DRZ is in consideration also with more power. I wonder which has > the best suspension. The KLX has 6 speeds instead of 5 like the DRZ. > > Criswell > On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:30 AM, aphampton628 wrote: >
You might also consider the yamaha WR250R. Mark Sampson recently took one on a border ride in AZ and NM and raved about how it performed. It is a bit spendy, around $6k. I think the KLX250 is quite a bit cheaper. I have read some reports from big guys (a lot bigger than you) on that bike, and haven't heard any complaints. There is a lot of hot-rod stuff for it, not surprising, since it is derived from the 300 enduro bike.

Jud Jones

klr 250 service manual

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:06 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCauley wrote:
> > I Just wanted to know what 250 owners thought of it. Never road one. I sure wouldn't expect it to act like the 650. I thought it might be worth while to buy a used 250, strip it down, and gear it down for putting around in the timber or playing motocrosss wannabe in the pasture. The 650 can be quite a handfull in some situations. At least it is for me. My right knee has been operated on twice. I will eventually have a knee replacement but doc wants to put it off as long as possible. >
The absence of an electric start might rule it out for you. My crispy right knee leads me to a strong preference for the magic button.

roncriswell@sbcglobal.net

klr 250 service manual

Post by roncriswell@sbcglobal.net » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Why is it always the right knee (me included) ....... ahh..... too many kick start bikes .... maybe? criswell
On Apr 14, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Jud Jones wrote: > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCauley > wrote: > > > > I Just wanted to know what 250 owners thought of it. Never road > one. I sure wouldn't expect it to act like the 650. I thought it > might be worth while to buy a used 250, strip it down, and gear it > down for putting around in the timber or playing motocrosss wannabe > in the pasture. The 650 can be quite a handfull in some situations. > At least it is for me. My right knee has been operated on twice. I > will eventually have a knee replacement but doc wants to put it off > as long as possible. > > > > The absence of an electric start might rule it out for you. My > crispy right knee leads me to a strong preference for the magic > button. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

klr 250 service manual

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 pm

On 4/14/09 9:30 PM, "roncriswell@..." wrote:
> Why is it always the right knee (me included) ....... ahh..... too many kick > start bikes .... maybe? > > >> >> >>
Too many big singles. I softened mine up on a DBD34 Gold Star, and then an SR500, but it was racquetball that finished it off. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

revmaaatin

klr 250 service manual

Post by revmaaatin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jud Jones wrote:
> > > > > On 4/14/09 9:30 PM, "roncriswell@..." > wrote: > > > Why is it always the right knee (me included) ....... ahh..... too many kick > > start bikes .... maybe? > > > > > >> > >> > >> > Too many big singles. I softened mine up on a DBD34 Gold Star, and then an > SR500, but it was racquetball that finished it off. >
One anonymous barb suggested that his was a college football injury. From that, he received mountains of sympathy. Until, it was discovered, His football injury? : tripped/injured on a beer bottle on the way to the football game. revmaaatin.

Rick McCauley

klr 250 service manual

Post by Rick McCauley » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 am

Good point. "crsipy right knee" I like that. (the description, not the bad knee) Rick A11
--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Jud Jones wrote: From: Jud Jones Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: KLR 250 service manual To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 7:06 PM --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogro ups.com, Rick McCauley wrote: > > I Just wanted to know what 250 owners thought of it. Never road one. I sure wouldn't expect it to act like the 650. I thought it might be worth while to buy a used 250, strip it down, and gear it down for putting around in the timber or playing motocrosss wannabe in the pasture. The 650 can be quite a handfull in some situations. At least it is for me. My right knee has been operated on twice. I will eventually have a knee replacement but doc wants to put it off as long as possible. > The absence of an electric start might rule it out for you. My crispy right knee leads me to a strong preference for the magic button. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rick McCauley

klr 250 service manual

Post by Rick McCauley » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 am

That's like falling on a stick in the woods, and calling it a war wound :- ) Rick A17
--- On Tue, 4/14/09, revmaaatin wrote: From: revmaaatin Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: KLR 250 service manual To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 10:59 PM --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogro ups.com, Jud Jones wrote: > > > > > On 4/14/09 9:30 PM, "roncriswell@ ..." > wrote: > > > Why is it always the right knee (me included) ....... ahh..... too many kick > > start bikes .... maybe? > > > > > >> > >> > >> > Too many big singles. I softened mine up on a DBD34 Gold Star, and then an > SR500, but it was racquetball that finished it off. > One anonymous barb suggested that his was a college football injury. From that, he received mountains of sympathy. Until, it was discovered, His football injury? : tripped/injured on a beer bottle on the way to the football game. revmaaatin. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bill Watson

klr 250 service manual

Post by Bill Watson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Ron Criswell wrote: ---------------- I have been considering buying the new KLX 250. Not gonna use it to go cross country with but want something less piggy in rough stuff. It is maybe 75 lbs lighter than a KLR. Anybody on the list have one? The DRZ is in consideration also with more power. I wonder which has the best suspension. The KLX has 6 speeds instead of 5 like the DRZ. -------------------- Ron, I have one. Make that 120 pounds lighter! It's a hoot and makes me feel like I'm 17 again when riding it. If the speeds are below 50, it's a blast and I wonder why I don't ride it everywhere instead of the KLR. Then I ride over 50 mph on the KLR for miles on end and have no real desire to ride the KLX. So it does come down to how it will be used. Great play bike. Electric start works great. We're headed to Moab this year so I'll bring the KLX instead of the KLR. Haven't spent a lot of dirt time on the KLX yet but is there any way it's worse than the KLR? No way. It is not as powerful as I would have guessed (based on memories of how fast a 250 felt when I was 9) but I know that can be improved if you want to. (I'm OK with it 'as-is'). Seat is hard and not a pleasure, so hopefully you're dirt riding enough to require standing every so often. 6 speeds are great, close-ratio too, the KLR could certainly use more gears to crutch what we all try to fix with big or small front sprockets. The KLX gearing seems to cover the full range of riding nicely. Cooling system is 'better' in the sense that it has twin radiators that have as much surface area as the 650 which clearly produces more heat. Based on my testing so far, the 250 has about 40 degrees more cooling margin than a stock 650. It's not easy to get the bike to overheat. They seem to sell at a fraction of the rate that 650s do so they might sit in someone's driveway for a while and they want it gone. I picked up a spotless 2009 with 2,000 miles for $2,600! What a deal. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]