cylinder out of round...

DSN_KLR650
fmhilton

cylinder out of round...

Post by fmhilton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Trying to stay with the oil usage issue, my 08 has almost 10K and I sure it has been using some oil, how much I don't know at this time.. I brought this up to my dealers warranty person in conversation. He contacted Kaw warranty regional person and they have already assigned a case number to my bike. I had planned and they suggested that I keep a log of mileage ran and the amounts of oil added and also keep up with the dates. I normally don't use the Kaw oil but I purchased their 10W40 premium oil and changed oil and started the log. They asked if I could possibly do a summary when I add oil (ie) mostly town driving between 3.5 RPM and 4.5 or 50% highway at 5K RPM to 5.5K or 200 mile run all highway 5K RPM and above. The regional manager did say that they would want to do a compression check as well as a leak down before starting to replace any major parts, which is OK with me. I know that Don had mentioned his dealer oversized his jugs and pistons. He has not gotten his bike back as of Tuesday. Mike H.
----- Original Message ----- From: Bill Watson To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:44 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Cylinder out of round... Hi Jeff, I know that turned into an octane discussion for the most part but I wanted to address one thing about the piston that you found to be oval-shaped and thought that might be a wear thing. Everything I've ever learned about pistons are that they're slightly oval (and for that matter, barrel-shaped when viewed from the side) when at room temperature, so that during operation, they're round. It used to be an issue with steel inserts in the piston having different rates of thermal expansion around the pin area than the alumimum... not sure what drives that today. The barrel thing... well, the piston top is much hotter than the skirts so that's still in place as well. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]