went for a ride this am

DSN_KLR650
k650dsn@aol.com

[dsn_klr650] klr [ the perfect garage ]

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Wed May 17, 2000 10:48 pm

In a message dated 05/17/2000 6:34:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time, sabecker@... writes: << Thanks a lot Dash This is just the the type information I was looking for. If you can think of anything else it would be appreciated. Anyone else? Off list is fine too. Steve Becker KLR A13 >> I have a Western lift also. Buy the side extentions and the front wheel vise. You'll love it's usefulness. Mine rises even with the tail gate of my pickup, easy to load heavy items into the bed of a truck. Also becomes and instant work bench too. A friend of mine had a small gathering at his house. Dinner was served on his Western lift with his R100RS as the center piece. Gino

Mark McCoy

Post by Mark McCoy » Thu May 18, 2000 8:43 am

Steve: This is kind of spooky because I am narrowing down on the same process. Financially it won't be before next summer but I am already starting to scheme. One thing I have considered is alternative types of construction. I am rather intrigued by some of the metal buildings, especially http://www.miracletruss.com/ . Their system consists of these trusses that are spaced based on load requirements and spanned by simple 2x4 purloins and girts. They intentionally space them so that common insulation can be stapled between them. I would also think that an I beam could be fastened to the ridge for a hoist (like someone else mentioned). This system also frees up a lot of room because their are no wooden trusses consuming what could be loft (like someone else mentioned). I would plan on building one that would have a low ceiling over a work area that would create a loft above it. That would also make remote room for mounting the HVAC and air compressor (like others have mentioned). This would keep them out of the way and isolate the noise of the compressor a little. Combined with the hoist you could even store bikes in the loft by hoisting them up there. In some parts of the country I expect some folks could rotate between their bikes and snow machines. The Miracle Truss system also boasts of high loads for both snow and tornado winds. If you don't like aesthetics of the metal siding (mine might be rather hidden by foliage) I think you can order it without and just get whatever siding you would have put on a frame structure. Good luck if you pull this off, you lucky dog, you! Mark McCoy Steve/Amy Becker wrote:
> I'm working on plans to build myself the perfect motorcycle shop. > 18'Wx32'Dx10'H will most likely be the size. Insulated and drywalled. > [painted off-white, a red stripe about 4 foot high, and dark blue from there > to the floor] > 200AMP electrical service. Plumbed for a natural gas furnace. Plumbed air > compressor outlets [ I all ready have a Handy Industries Motorcycle > Lift].And a Air conditsher unit. Two ceiling fans. A wash up sink, a urinal. > Maybe a shower? > The floor painted or sealed.[ black and white checkered]. Way To Many > Lights! A real heavy duly work bench 21/2'x6'.A parts washer, [ a drill > press, a grinder ] have these. Heavy shelving. Refrigerator. Microwave oven. > Coffee pot. Stereo/w CD player, Phone. Intercom link to house. > One sofa and my old recliner Cabinets for motorcycle clothes, helmets parts, > camping etc.... A fire cabinet by the door. And a big firextingher. Oh yea > a place for my Evel Knievel shrine. > So what I would like to know from the list is-- what have you done , > what do you wish you had done,what would you never do again , Anything alse > I should know, do or watch out for. > Steve Becker > KLR A13 > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com: > http://click.egroups.com/1/4052/5/_/911801/_/958599985/ > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Thu May 18, 2000 12:16 pm

Thank's mark I checked the link out -and sent for catalog I will need a high celling over work area for the lift that I have. the only problem would be enough ceiling insulatoin. Gets cold here in Iowa. Steve Becker -----Original Message----- From: Mark McCoy To: Steve/Amy Becker Cc: KLR650 LIST DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Date: Thursday, May 18, 2000 6:43 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] KLR [ The perfect garage ]
>Steve: > >This is kind of spooky because I am narrowing down on the same process. >Financially it won't be before next summer but I am already starting to
scheme.
> >One thing I have considered is alternative types of construction. I am
rather
>intrigued by some of the metal buildings, especially >http://www.miracletruss.com/ . Their system consists of these trusses that
are
>spaced based on load requirements and spanned by simple 2x4 purloins and
girts.
>They intentionally space them so that common insulation can be stapled
between
>them. I would also think that an I beam could be fastened to the ridge for
a
>hoist (like someone else mentioned >Good luck if you pull this off, you lucky dog, you! >Mark McCoy >

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Thu May 18, 2000 1:01 pm

>A friend of mine had a small gathering at his house. Dinner was served on >his Western lift with his R100RS as the center piece. > >Gino >
Really that seems like the best use for a BMW that I've heard of yet! Steve Becker KLR A13

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Thu May 18, 2000 1:14 pm

I not sure I understand what Positive pressure is. Is this fans sucking air out up high/with air coming in below Steve Becker KLR A13 My experience with ceiling fans in shops is bad, so I recommend
>against. Instead you want a positive pressure shop, central input and >outputs on the ends up high.
You need a fume hood, easily
>incorporated into the posi pressure output. Around the fume hood you'll >need a couple of shower curtains to keep things contained and pointed in >the right direction
Dash

Sarah Barwig

Post by Sarah Barwig » Thu May 18, 2000 1:17 pm

Steve/Amy Becker wrote:
> I not sure I understand what Positive pressure is. Is this fans sucking > air out up high/with air coming in below > Steve Becker > KLR A13
Positive pressure means air is forced in by fans so that it finds its own way out of vents provided. The fans need to force it in, not suck it out. And get y'alls minds out of the gutter! Sarah

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Thu May 18, 2000 1:34 pm

-----Original Message----- From: Sarah Barwig To: Steve/Amy Becker Cc: KLR650 LIST DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Date: Thursday, May 18, 2000 11:17 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] KLR [ The perfect garage ]
>Steve/Amy Becker wrote: > >> I not sure I understand what Positive pressure is. Is this fans sucking >> air out up high/with air coming in below >> Steve Becker >> KLR A13 > >Positive pressure means air is forced in by fans so that it finds its own >way out of vents provided. The fans need to force it in, not suck it out. > >And get y'alls minds out of the gutter! > >Sarah
thank you Sarah You have become quite the role model a round my house. I showed your site to my 16 year old girl. She's saving for a dirt bike now. She said your cool.

Steve/Amy Becker

Post by Steve/Amy Becker » Thu May 18, 2000 1:38 pm

-----Original Message----- From: Mark McCoy To: Steve/Amy Becker Date: Thursday, May 18, 2000 10:36 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] KLR [ The perfect garage ]
>Steve/Amy Becker wrote: > >> Thank's mark I checked the link out -and sent for catalog >> I will need a high celling over work area for the lift that I have. >> the only problem would be enough ceiling insulatoin. Gets cold here in
Iowa.
> >Maybe you could specify using 2x6 for the roof instead of 2x4 and have a
more
>insulation. Or you could build in a ceiling and have all of that open room
up
>top in the loft for storage. > >MMc
Thats true guess I'll know more after I get the catalog. By the way do they have prices in the catalog. Steve Becker

Arne Larsen

Post by Arne Larsen » Thu May 18, 2000 2:40 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: Steve/Amy Becker To: KLR650 LIST DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 7:44 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] KLR [ The perfect garage ] > Thanks a lot Dash This is just the the type information I was looking > for. If you can think of anything else it would be appreciated. Anyone > else? Off list is fine too. > Steve Becker Steve, Big-ass lock on the door and make sure your insurance covers a loss this big. Might need a seperate rider. Otherwise... "Go Dash, Go!!!" Cheers, Arne - taking notes... =^)

Arne Larsen

Post by Arne Larsen » Thu May 18, 2000 2:40 pm

Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] KLR [ The perfect garage ]
> > I'm working on plans to build myself the perfect motorcycle shop. > > 18'Wx32'Dx10'H will most likely be the size. Insulated and drywalled. > > [painted off-white, a red stripe about 4 foot high, and dark blue from
there
> > to the floor]
One thing I didn't think of Steve is that you might want to consider a second story. Maybe something with a vaulted ceiling and dormers. Great storage area and a better place for that futon. =^) But then, to avoid posts in the floor you'd have to go with an engineered joist to span the 18' width you want to cover. No big thing... just costs a little more - that's all. Cheers, Arne