Re: Slow running control

Graham

Slow running control

Post by Graham » Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 am

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\PG Offline 4\Attachments\\image.jpeg]image.jpeg[/url]
Further to my previous message, I attach a photo of the setup.

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 am

Graham,
It's hard to tell how it's hooked up in your photo can you compare it to this:  http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/slow_running_control.htm
Gene GillamSaucier, MS

On May 16, 2013, at 2:38 AM, Graham wrote:

I have at long last, after 40 years' ownership, got round to fitting the correct slow running control, which helps fill another empty hole in the dash.
I will need to put a collar for the carb spindle to prevent the slow running lever from moving away from its correct positioning on the spindle. Hopefully, Burlen will have something suitable.

I have a concern though, about the strength of the hairpin spring which provides tension in the cable, and returns it to the closed position. It is not enough to fully return it, and I have had to add a long coil spring anchored down on the steering column tube, which is untidy and should be un necessary.
The hairpin spring also seems to be at risk of falling off, as it is only hooked around the cable anchorage at the end of the lever, plus through the hole in the top bracket.
The cable and spring were new from Doug Pelton, and quality is excellent, but has anyone else been in this situation, and is there a stronger version of this hairpin spring available?

Graham
Buckingham, where it is autumn again already.
TC3107

Sent from my iPad

Doug Pelton

Post by Doug Pelton » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 am

Attachments :Hi Graham,  The purpose of the spring is to assist but it is not the primary source of force to return the slow run lever to  neutral position.  This is done in conjunction with the cable itself.  Do you have the rear clip or is the cable slipping ?  To operate the slow run lever, you screw the knob and this in turn extends or retracts the inner cable.  However, to work properly the outer cable position must be fixed.  This is accomplished with the cable clip on the rear carb that holds the outer casing in a fixed position.  Is the end of the outer cable casing butted against the metal tab on the front carb?  Here are some photos to help illustrate.  [img]cid:image005.jpg@01CE5203.F25920F0[/img]      [img]cid:image006.jpg@01CE5203.F25920F0[/img]  Hope this helps.    Doug PeltonFROM THE FRAME UP, LLCwww.FromTheFrameUp.com480-588-8185  Please note:  For fastest service for orders, email to:  order@FromTheFrameUp.com  From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Graham
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:38 AM
To: MG TC
Subject: [mg-tabc] Slow running control   
I have at long last, after 40 years' ownership, got round to fitting the correct slow running control, which helps fill another empty hole in the dash.
I will need to put a collar for the carb spindle to prevent the slow running lever from moving away from its correct positioning on the spindle. Hopefully, Burlen will have something suitable.

I have a concern though, about the strength of the hairpin spring which provides tension in the cable, and returns it to the closed position. It is not enough to fully return it, and I have had to add a long coil spring anchored down on the steering column tube, which is untidy and should be un necessary.
The hairpin spring also seems to be at risk of falling off, as it is only hooked around the cable anchorage at the end of the lever, plus through the hole in the top bracket.
The cable and spring were new from Doug Pelton, and quality is excellent, but has anyone else been in this situation, and is there a stronger version of this hairpin spring available?

Graham
Buckingham, where it is autumn again already.
TC3107

Sent from my iPad