Differential Oil

juergenosmer

Differential Oil

Post by juergenosmer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:37 am

Hello my name is Juergen and I m new in this group. I m also new in Mg Tc . What kind of Oil should I use for the rear axle? Thanks for assistance. Juergen

E.Worpe

Re: Differential Oil

Post by E.Worpe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:34 am

Hi Juergen, The original specification was for "Hi-Press 140". This then became known as "EP 140", where EP stands for Extreme Pressure. Crown wheels and pinions experience very high tooth contact forces, and need an oil with additives that prevent the oil breaking down under extreme pressure. EP oils suitable for our spiral bevel type gears have a G4 code. Hypoid type gears, which are exposed to even greater stresses, need a G5 spec. oil, however these are often called EP oils also. Some multigrade, possibly synthetic, oils are now available with an EP 75W-140, G4 specification. These should be suitable for both gearbox and backaxle, although confirmation of this should be left to others with greater knowledge. Regards, Eric. -----Original Message----- Hello What kind of Oil should I use for the rear axle? Thanks for assistance. Juergen [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:45 am

Hi Juergen, Where are you? What is the SN of your car? Fred TC1353 Scotts Valley, CA. USA -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of juergenosmer Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 1:36 AM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] Differential Oil Hello my name is Juergen and I m new in this group. I m also new in Mg Tc . What kind of Oil should I use for the rear axle? Thanks for assistance. Juergen Yahoo! Groups Links

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:26 am

hello Juergen, welcome to the list. We do not have many members in Germany, but of course there are a lot of TC owners in the MGCC Deutschland for you to contact. As Eric has said, only use EP140, but a good tip is to go to an agricultural supplier: a lot of tractor transmissions use it, and AgriCastrol EP140 is exactly the same, but a lot cheaper than oil sold by car dealers. The multigrade oil Eric mentions has had no reports, good or bad, from M.G. owners, but of course will be much more expensive! ocTagonally TCRoger, Devon, Olde England Juergen Osmer asked:
>my name is Juergen and I m new in this group. I m also new in Mg Tc . >What kind of Oil should I use for the rear axle?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

banjomey2@aol.com

Differential Oil

Post by banjomey2@aol.com » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:50 am

Hi J rgen, go www.oldtimeroel.de (it's Miller-Oils in Germany). They have everything you need for your TC for moderate prices, oli for engine, gearbox, diff, any kind of grease etc. You'll find their phone-no. on the website too and will give you excellent personal advice via phone. If you're a member of a club or have a Deuvet-card you'll get an extra rebate. Happy motoring with your new TC. Rgds, Peter "Banjo" Meyer TC 9027, 1949 Morgan +4, 1965 TR 3A, 1959 Rilye TT Sprite Special, 1935 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dick Little

Differential Oil

Post by Dick Little » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 am

I used a Redline diff oil and immediately the pinion shaft seal began to leak a lot. The TA did not leak with regular diff oil.
Before I get into pulling everything apart, I shall try a conventional rear end oil at 140 weight.
Do any members have any similar experience and, if so, can one get away with a bit heavier diff oil?
The car is an old ARCA car so it was heavily raced in the 30's.
Thank you, all.
Dick Little
TA 1326

phil smith

Post by phil smith » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I am baffled by these discussions - aren't viscosity ratings standardized for temperatures (i.e. a 90/140 hypoid oil is "90" at a spec temp and "140" at another, with both temps meeting some sort of ?SAE standard)?  If that's true, why should brand name make a difference in how the equipment feels / leaks/doesn't leak?  Resistance to breakdown from heat/contamination and freedom from and resistance to varnishing I understand might differ since different suppliers have different additive properties.  But the way the machine feels to the hand is a matter of viscosity....or so I would think.  I'm willing to be scientifically enlightened (no Slick 50 stories, please).  ----pps
On Thursday, July 11, 2019, 2:22:31 PM EDT, dick little vze4xyru@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I used a Redline diff oil and immediately the pinion shaft seal began to leak a lot. The TA did not leak with regular diff oil. Before I get into pulling everything apart, I shall try a conventional rear end oil at 140 weight. Do any members have any similar experience and, if so, can one get away with a bit heavier diff oil?The car is an old ARCA car so it was heavily raced in the 30's. Thank you, all.Dick LittleTA 1326

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm

What difference it makes is due to the various additives that various makers put in the oil. A rebuilt XPAG for example may never bed in with some modern oils. I've had rebuilt XPAGs come in chucking out blue smoke, and having low compression after 1000's of miles where a wacky modern additive or synthetic oil ( of the right nominal grade) has been used. Draining, flushing, and filling with a straight SAE30 classic oil bedded everything correctly in within a few hundred miles. Once everything IS bedded in, then I would think that these modern oils might well extend the life of any engine. Much the same applies to older gearboxes and I'd NOT use modern additive filled oils here, for example you would likely find the synchro performance badly affected as it's too slippery. in a few cases where the change was poor I have found modern synchro oils used, and going back to a normal EP90 or EP140 has cured the problem instantly. All Best, CliveOxford, UK [img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif&t=1563492172&sig=4GkiWr1_2dd_IGxV0VnB1A--~E[/img] Virus-free. www.avast.com
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 20:08, phil smith mgpsmith@att.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I am baffled by these discussions - aren't viscosity ratings standardized for temperatures (i.e. a 90/140 hypoid oil is "90" at a spec temp and "140" at another, with both temps meeting some sort of ?SAE standard)? If that's true, why should brand name make a difference in how the equipment feels / leaks/doesn't leak? Resistance to breakdown from heat/contamination and freedom from and resistance to varnishing I understand might differ since different suppliers have different additive properties. But the way the machine feels to the hand is a matter of viscosity....or so I would think. I'm willing to be scientifically enlightened (no Slick 50 stories, please). ----pps On Thursday, July 11, 2019, 2:22:31 PM EDT, dick little vze4xyru@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I used a Redline diff oil and immediately the pinion shaft seal began to leak a lot. The TA did not leak with regular diff oil. Before I get into pulling everything apart, I shall try a conventional rear end oil at 140 weight. Do any members have any similar experience and, if so, can one get away with a bit heavier diff oil?The car is an old ARCA car so it was heavily raced in the 30's. Thank you, all.Dick LittleTA 1326
[img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif&t=1563492172&sig=4GkiWr1_2dd_IGxV0VnB1A--~E[/img] Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:15 pm

I use Miller s 140 gearoil in the differential.  Available at Moss.  Penrite mild EP in the gearbox.  Available at Restoration supply. Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:21 AM, dick little vze4xyru@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I used a Redline diff oil and immediately the pinion shaft seal began to leak a lot. The TA did not leak with regular diff oil. Before I get into pulling everything apart, I shall try a conventional rear end oil at 140 weight. Do any members have any similar experience and, if so, can one get away with a bit heavier diff oil?The car is an old ARCA car so it was heavily raced in the 30's. Thank you, all.Dick LittleTA 1326

Dick Little

Differential Oil

Post by Dick Little » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Thank you to those who responded with their experience and choice when I asked about differential oil and Red Line special lube..
I think it is 140 for me; nothing special