TC8204: Question on ballbearings in front hubs

cjbartsanderscj

TC8204: Question on ballbearings in front hubs

Post by cjbartsanderscj » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 am

Hello all,
While inspecting the two front hubs and axle stubs (left one OK, right one still to check with Dye & Developer crack test) I found following difference.
The left side (do Brits call this "near side"?) I found one ball bearing stamped 6205. While on the right side ("off side"?) I found 6205C3.
You may know that C3 points to a bearing class with a bigger play of the balls within the bearing. The C3 types are e.g. often used in gearboxes.
I can not find any reference to C3 in my documentation. Who knows which bearing should be installed on both sides:  6205 C3 class or plain 6205 ?
Regards!
Bart

Roger Furneaux

Re: TC8204: Question on ballbearings in front hubs

Post by Roger Furneaux » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 am

hi Bart - bearings which don't have C3 on them, are probably C3 - high tolerance bearings usually cost a lot more! But you could change to taper-rollers, which handle the axial & radial thrust much better than balls. They need setting up with shims, but BBs often need them as well due to wear in the hubs and/or spacers. Rgds Roger
On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:06 AM bartsanders@motorwerk.nl [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Hello all, While inspecting the two front hubs and axle stubs (left one OK, right one still to check with Dye & Developer crack test) I found following difference. The left side (do Brits call this "near side"?) I found one ball bearing stamped 6205. While on the right side ("off side"?) I found 6205C3. You may know that C3 points to a bearing class with a bigger play of the balls within the bearing. The C3 types are e.g. often used in gearboxes. I can not find any reference to C3 in my documentation. Who knows which bearing should be installed on both sides: 6205 C3 class or plain 6205 ? Regards! Bart