TB prices

Clive Sherriff

Re: TB prices

Post by Clive Sherriff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:09 am

Mike, You say that . . " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!" True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are. , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there. They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari! On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

alpine842 botha

Post by alpine842 botha » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:28 am

The price debate about MG TBs has me reflecting about the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling. I still own it today in comparison to the MG TA special currently on ebay for 69,995. MG TAs, after all, have a proper racing pedigree. Has the world of pre war MG prices gone Cream Crackers! robin, Cheshire
On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Mike, You say that . . " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!" True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are. , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there. They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari! On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 pm

The pre war TA's and TB's are of course the only T Series cars eligible for use in social and the wonderful competition and racing events in the Vintage Sports Car Club (the VSCC) , which must be worth a couple tens of thousands in itself. CliveOxford UK M mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 19:28, alpine842 botha birdforth@googlemail.com> wrote: The price debate about MG TBs has me reflecting about the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling. I still own it today in comparison to the MG TA special currently on ebay for 69,995. MG TAs, after all, have a proper racing pedigree. Has the world of pre war MG prices gone Cream Crackers! robin, Cheshire On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Mike, You say that . . " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!" True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are. , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there. They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari! On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Being a poor man, I'll just enjoy my TC while I have the chance.  Tweed
On Thursday, 14 November 2019, 20:40:47 GMT, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  The pre war TA's and TB's are of course the only T Series cars eligible for use in social and the wonderful competition and racing events in the Vintage Sports Car Club (the VSCC) , which must be worth a couple tens of thousands in itself.  CliveOxford UK M mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 19:28, alpine842 botha birdforth@googlemail.com> wrote: The price debate about MG TBs has me reflecting about the once unloved MGTA I  purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling. I still own it today in comparison to the MG TA special currently on ebay for 69,995. MG TAs, after all, have a proper racing pedigree. Has the world  of pre war MG prices gone Cream Crackers! robin, Cheshire On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   Mike, You say that  . .  " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!"     True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are.  , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there.   They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name  they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices     I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari!               On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:       A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

Mike Inglehearn

Post by Mike Inglehearn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 pm

"It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly" That could be said about many great races and rallies of the past due to modern safety regulations! 
On Thursday, 14 November 2019, 19:49:15 CET, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike, You say that  . .  " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!"     True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are.  , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there.   They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name  they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices     I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari!               On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:       A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

jeffrey townsend

Post by jeffrey townsend » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 am

Hi Mike, I have a copy of Motorsport magazine with the write up by Dennis Jenkinson  of the 1955 MM when he and Stirling Moss won the event in a Mercedes 300SLR. A truly great feat. The photos show the strain that both driver and navigator went through. It does all seem more sanitised nowadays.  Do you know if any TB s raced at Brooklands? I think the last race was in August 1939 so it is possible.  Regards  Jeff  Regards  Jeff  Sent from my iPhone On 15 Nov 2019, at 18:06, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  "It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was once Sadly" That could be said about many great races and rallies of the past due to modern safety regulations!  On Thursday, 14 November 2019, 19:49:15 CET, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com> wrote: Mike, You say that  . .  " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!"     True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are.  , But it has only got it's "status"  by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there  than to be there.   They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was once Sadly Clive - ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion. Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner. I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name  they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices     I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari!               On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:       A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:44 am

>> the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling
Well, even in the 1960's TB's held a premium , I had to pay 75 for mine ! And still have it too ! Also I have a TA now as well, They are two very different cars to drive. Clive
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 19:28, alpine842 botha birdforth@googlemail.com> wrote: The price debate about MG TBs has me reflecting about the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling. I still own it today in comparison to the MG TA special currently on ebay for 69,995. MG TAs, after all, have a proper racing pedigree. Has the world of pre war MG prices gone Cream Crackers! robin, Cheshire On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Mike, You say that . . " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!" True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are. , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there. They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari! On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

alpine842 botha

Post by alpine842 botha » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:08 am

yes mike, I have a TC as well, Different to drive than the TA. Didn't they turn out investments despite dad's advice.robin
On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 12:44 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com> wrote: >> the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling Well, even in the 1960's TB's held a premium , I had to pay 75 for mine ! And still have it too ! Also I have a TA now as well, They are two very different cars to drive. Clive On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 19:28, alpine842 botha birdforth@googlemail.com> wrote: The price debate about MG TBs has me reflecting about the once unloved MGTA I purchased in the late 1960s for 68 sterling. I still own it today in comparison to the MG TA special currently on ebay for 69,995. MG TAs, after all, have a proper racing pedigree. Has the world of pre war MG prices gone Cream Crackers! robin, Cheshire On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Mike, You say that . . " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!" True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are. , But it has only got it's "status" by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there than to be there. They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was onceSadly Clive- ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion.Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner.I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari! On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

Mike Inglehearn

Post by Mike Inglehearn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 am

Hi JeffYes with the emphasis of safety these days all racing is different, serious accidents in F1 are rare events these days and even rarer for a driver to sustain serious injury. As I understand it the original MM was an out and out race on ordinary roads and was banned after the 1957 in which a driver was killed in one crash and in another the driver and navigator were killed along with 9 spectators including five children. Remaining on on ordinary roads the MM is now a regularity event in which speed limits are set within the legal limit but timings can be down to fractions of a second. The original MM had works teams with proven or distinguished drivers, but the individual entries had to be wealthy to enter, much more so than todays entries!As I have said I think any competition history especially in well known events will add value to a car, the importance and the amount  some one is prepared to pay will vary depending on the individual.RegardsMike

On Friday, 15 November 2019, 10:35:16 CET, jeffrey townsend jeff.townsend@hotmail.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Hi Mike, I have a copy of Motorsport magazine with the write up by Dennis Jenkinson  of the 1955 MM when he and Stirling Moss won the event in a Mercedes 300SLR. A truly great feat. The photos show the strain that both driver and navigator went through. It does all seem more sanitised nowadays.  Do you know if any TB s raced at Brooklands? I think the last race was in August 1939 so it is possible.  Regards  Jeff  Regards  Jeff  Sent from my iPhone On 15 Nov 2019, at 18:06, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   "It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was once Sadly" That could be said about many great races and rallies of the past due to modern safety regulations!  On Thursday, 14 November 2019, 19:49:15 CET, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com> wrote: Mike, You say that  . .  " I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"!"     True I suppose, depending on who you think "the many " are.  , But it has only got it's "status"  by the "Celebrities" it can afford to attract, and the monied owners more keen to be seen there  than to be there.   They tend to disappear very quickly after the photoshoots when it rains ! It's little more than a picnic outing compared with what the original Mille Miglia was once Sadly Clive - ------------------. On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 06:41, Mike Inglehearn mingle54@btinternet.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   The TB never competed in the Mille Miglia, but qualifies because though it did not race one was entered on at least one occasion. Whilst the car may not be a specific "historic car", it does have a history of racing in "historic races", and no matter how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the value as does a distinguished owner. I think many would not consider the Mille Miglia to be merely a "revival"! On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 11:00:07 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   If the TB had competed in the Mille Miglia in period, 1939, 40, ... I d agree it is an historic car with a greater value than a standard one but it did not. It competed only in what I d call Revivals, I don t know how what great name  they call them with but, in my humble opinion, it only means the owner is rich. This said, it is probably better to buy a car from a rich owner than from an impecunious one! [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, November 11, 2019 9:56 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com ; jeanvignau@orange.fr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TB prices     I don't think the price was a reflection of TB prices more to do with the history. The car had been owned by a renowned racing driver who competed in it in the Mille Miglia three times, the Targa Florio and the Gran Premio Nuvolari!               On Monday, 11 November 2019, 17:40:31 CET, 'Jean Vignau' jeanvignau@orange.fr [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:       A TB was auctionned, on the25th of september 2019, 108,724 by Padova Finarte, so there were at least 2 would be bidders. It was within its estimated value of, if I remember well, 85/115,000 . You can see it on their website, finarte.it and then automobili da collezionz-Finarte. It was very clean looking, said to be prepared for events such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio (or Pebble Beach)! The only pre-war 4-cylinders MGs eligible for such events are the PB and TB. The radiator grille should not be black, the seats are non original, nor are the headlights, fog light or air filters. The engine looks standard. A new trend ? Any other example ? The end of TBs being paid less than the TA specials called Q-types ?

miska17@yahoo.com

TB prices

Post by miska17@yahoo.com » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Hello everybody! Going back to the discussion I would like to share with the group my own experience with this model which I purchased in 2013 only because it was MM eligible. I had done the revival version on many occasions, driving Healey Silverstone, Lancia B20, Fiat Coppa D oro, with decent performances ranging from 11th to 40 overall. The event on board of a 1.250 cc car is by no means a picnic outing. For instance I drove the four stages of the 2016 MM under heavy rain most of the part at top or almost top speed most of the time so as to reach the imposed stage times. It was wonderful .... a fascinating all out 1.600 km race, I just loved it. Same applies to the many times I did the Nuvolari, the Mitteleuropean race in Trieste, etc. The TB is a formidable contender, more than welcome by organizers of these events and at a fair price, it drives smoothly, requires constant attention to steering and brakes, a pleasure to drive .... And all is done at its maximum speed potential. Is there a better scenario? I also did a few long distance road trips (circa 2.000 km each) through small roads in France and Spain, delightful experiences which I do definitely recommend. Kind regards to all group members, Miguel