LED Headlights

capt_bob_777

LED Headlights

Post by capt_bob_777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:12 pm

I ordered LED headlights from Classic Dynamo out of England.  We exchanged emails and I sent them pictures of my old bulbs, sockets, etc. I have a 1949 TC with a dippable headlight switch (high/low beam).  I installed the bulbs and can only get high beam.  I checked the power output at the light sockets and I have a bit or residual voltage in low beam when high beam is selected and the same is true when I select low beam.  I disconnected the low beam wire to both sockets and can get high beam.  I did the same thing with the high beam wire and still get high beam, no low beam.  I was thinking that I needed to add a ballast resistor to both outputs under the dash, but now I am not sure. Disconnecting the power to the back of the bulb socket, one at a time,  should have given me the same results. Am I wrong?

Clive Sherriff

Re: LED Headlights

Post by Clive Sherriff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 am

I'd suggest this is a more question for Classic Dynamo themselves. Clive
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 00:12, lines4904@verizon.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I ordered LED headlights from Classic Dynamo out of England. We exchanged emails and I sent them pictures of my old bulbs, sockets, etc. I have a 1949 TC with a dippable headlight switch (high/low beam). I installed the bulbs and can only get high beam. I checked the power output at the light sockets and I have a bit or residual voltage in low beam when high beam is selected and the same is true when I select low beam. I disconnected the low beam wire to both sockets and can get high beam. I did the same thing with the high beam wire and still get high beam, no low beam. I was thinking that I needed to add a ballast resistor to both outputs under the dash, but now I am not sure. Disconnecting the power to the back of the bulb socket, one at a time, should have given me the same results. Am I wrong?

Roger Muir

Post by Roger Muir » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 am

Yes Classic Dynamo will sort you.  I suggest you need the use of blocking diodes for you bulbs to work correctly. Roger Muir Sent from my iPhone
On 11 Nov 2019, at 10:50, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I'd suggest this is a more question for Classic Dynamo themselves. Clive On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 00:12, lines4904@verizon.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   I ordered LED headlights from Classic Dynamo out of England.  We exchanged emails and I sent them pictures of my old bulbs, sockets, etc. I have a 1949 TC with a dippable headlight switch (high/low beam).  I installed the bulbs and can only get high beam.  I checked the power output at the light sockets and I have a bit or residual voltage in low beam when high beam is selected and the same is true when I select low beam.  I disconnected the low beam wire to both sockets and can get high beam.  I did the same thing with the high beam wire and still get high beam, no low beam.  I was thinking that I needed to add a ballast resistor to both outputs under the dash, but now I am not sure. Disconnecting the power to the back of the bulb socket, one at a time,  should have given me the same results. Am I wrong?

John Kallend

Post by John Kallend » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 am

Check that you have a good connection to ground/earth from the headlight. I have had some weird symptoms when I had a poor ground connection (admittedly with incandescents and not LEDs). _____________________________John Kallend - TC0845Professor EmeritusDepartment of Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace EngineeringDepartment of PhysicsIIT, Chicago
On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 5:33 AM Roger Muir rogermuir@btopenworld.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Yes Classic Dynamo will sort you. I suggest you need the use of blocking diodes for you bulbs to work correctly. Roger Muir Sent from my iPhone On 11 Nov 2019, at 10:50, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
I'd suggest this is a more question for Classic Dynamo themselves. Clive On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 00:12, lines4904@verizon.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I ordered LED headlights from Classic Dynamo out of England. We exchanged emails and I sent them pictures of my old bulbs, sockets, etc. I have a 1949 TC with a dippable headlight switch (high/low beam). I installed the bulbs and can only get high beam. I checked the power output at the light sockets and I have a bit or residual voltage in low beam when high beam is selected and the same is true when I select low beam. I disconnected the low beam wire to both sockets and can get high beam. I did the same thing with the high beam wire and still get high beam, no low beam. I was thinking that I needed to add a ballast resistor to both outputs under the dash, but now I am not sure. Disconnecting the power to the back of the bulb socket, one at a time, should have given me the same results. Am I wrong?