Steering wheel conundrum

Allan Chalmers

Steering wheel conundrum

Post by Allan Chalmers » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft.  Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft.  It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides.  Broke two bolts securing with no result.  We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub?  Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it -  New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke.  something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub?  Anyone have this problem.
Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

montgomery1947

Re: Steering wheel conundrum

Post by montgomery1947 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Attachments :I did, with a new Bluemels Brooklands wheel. The TC, when I bought it, did not have the circlip on the steering shaft, so the wheel could slide on the shaft, causing some excitement. I also broke a couple of bolts.

In the end I put the hub of the wheel in a vice and spoke to it firmly so that it became a tighter but still sliding - fit on the shaft. A high grade hardware store bolt now holds it tight and a circlip is installed.

Robin Montgomery, CT

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:08 PM [b]To:[/b] MG-TABC List mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Steering wheel conundrum

Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft.  Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft.  It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides.  Broke two bolts securing with no result.  We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub?  Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it -  New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke.  something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub?  Anyone have this problem.

Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 am

hi Allan - it could simply be wear on both parts! I believe the splines were originally copper-plated, so you could dismantle your BC and try this. Or I could sell you a new splined column top: I have these made for VW conversions, only one left for 45 of your dollars (plus postage).cheers Roger
On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft. Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft. It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides. Broke two bolts securing with no result. We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub? Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it - New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke. something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub? Anyone have this problem. Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 am

Hi Allan,   I recently had to change the steering box on my TC and the splines on the new shaft must have been machined to bottom tolerance as the hub that came off was a lot looser.  I didn't get as far as actually breaking any bolts but I think I may have, or stripped the thread, if I'd carried on tightening.   What I did was put the hub in a vice sandwiched between two pieces of hardwood and nipped it up a tad.  It didn't take much, so if you do the same, take it very easy so as not to put too much strain on the hub, or at worst crack it!  As far as wrapping something round the shaft, the only thing that might be suitable is aluminium foil ... but there would have to be considerable clearance to get the hub over it ... in which case it wouldn't be a good idea IMHO.  Regards  TweedTC 0632Cambridge UK       
On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 03:11:26 GMT, Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft.  Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft.  It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides.  Broke two bolts securing with no result.  We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub?  Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it -  New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke.  something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub?  Anyone have this problem. Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

James Sullivan

Post by James Sullivan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:04 am

Be careful if you over tighten it the hub will split on the opposite side.  If this happens the hub is pretty much junk. Don t ask how I know this. Jim Sullivan TC 5515 & 7517 Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 6, 2019, at 5:41 AM, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Hi Allan,   I recently had to change the steering box on my TC and the splines on the new shaft must have been machined to bottom tolerance as the hub that came off was a lot looser.  I didn't get as far as actually breaking any bolts but I think I may have, or stripped the thread, if I'd carried on tightening.   What I did was put the hub in a vice sandwiched between two pieces of hardwood and nipped it up a tad.  It didn't take much, so if you do the same, take it very easy so as not to put too much strain on the hub, or at worst crack it!   As far as wrapping something round the shaft, the only thing that might be suitable is aluminium foil ... but there would have to be considerable clearance to get the hub over it ... in which case it wouldn't be a good idea IMHO.  Regards  Tweed TC 0632 Cambridge UK         On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 03:11:26 GMT, Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft.  Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft.  It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides.  Broke two bolts securing with no result.  We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub?  Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it -  New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke.  something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub?  Anyone have this problem. Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Greetings Group, I'm finally getting to the end of welding up the chassis of 1704. The problem is the left rear section from the rearmost spring-mount back. Some Red Barrel/Double Diamond addled "mechanic" has been extremely 'creative' in routing wiring to the tail-lights at some time in the past; thus I have several holes of varying diameters in the longer/vertical piece of the channel iron, two of which were used to mount an irregular hexagon-shaped Bakelite junction box which doesn't appear in any TC parts list that I've ever encountered! So I was wondering how many holes SHOULD there be and where. All help much appreciated.
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 04:42, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Hi Allan, I recently had to change the steering box on my TC and the splines on the new shaft must have been machined to bottom tolerance as the hub that came off was a lot looser. I didn't get as far as actually breaking any bolts but I think I may have, or stripped the thread, if I'd carried on tightening. What I did was put the hub in a vice sandwiched between two pieces of hardwood and nipped it up a tad. It didn't take much, so if you do the same, take it very easy so as not to put too much strain on the hub, or at worst crack it! As far as wrapping something round the shaft, the only thing that might be suitable is aluminium foil ... but there would have to be considerable clearance to get the hub over it ... in which case it wouldn't be a good idea IMHO. Regards TweedTC 0632Cambridge UK On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 03:11:26 GMT, Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft. Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft. It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides. Broke two bolts securing with no result. We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub? Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it - New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke. something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub? Anyone have this problem. Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

Malcolm Scanlan

Post by Malcolm Scanlan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 am

#ygrps-yiv-1062442023 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} Good Morning David, Looking at other TC's in the Unclub there are differences depending on various luggage rack fittings and adaptions over the years. You should make a short trip down this way and take a look at mine and others south of the Fraser. Malcolm [i]When fixing something there is nothing more expensive than ignorance.[/i]

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of David Lodge emmgeeteesee@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] November 9, 2019 9:31 PM [b]To:[/b] Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk> [b]Cc:[/b] MG-TABC List mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Steering wheel conundrum    

Greetings Group, I'm finally getting to the end of welding up the chassis of 1704.  The problem is the left rear section from the rearmost spring-mount back. Some Red Barrel/Double Diamond addled "mechanic" has been extremely 'creative' in routing wiring to the tail-lights at some time in the past; thus I have several holes of varying diameters in the longer/vertical piece of the channel iron, two of which were used to mount an irregular hexagon-shaped Bakelite junction box which doesn't appear in any TC parts list that I've ever encountered! So I was wondering how many holes SHOULD there be and where. All help much appreciated. On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 04:42, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Allan,   I recently had to change the steering box on my TC and the splines on the new shaft must have been machined to bottom tolerance as the hub that came off was a lot looser.  I didn't get as far as actually breaking any bolts but I think I may have, or stripped the thread, if I'd carried on tightening.   What I did was put the hub in a vice sandwiched between two pieces of hardwood and nipped it up a tad.  It didn't take much, so if you do the same, take it very easy so as not to put too much strain on the hub, or at worst crack it!   As far as wrapping something round the shaft, the only thing that might be suitable is aluminium foil ... but there would have to be considerable clearance to get the hub over it ... in which case it wouldn't be a good idea IMHO.  Regards  Tweed TC 0632 Cambridge UK         On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 03:11:26 GMT, Allan Chalmers allanchalmers@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:  

Trying to install a wheel to the steering shaft.  Slides on fine, but the hub will not clamp onto the shaft.  It of course has the split where the bolt can pull together the two sides.  Broke two bolts securing with no result.  We're thinking, hardened aluminium of the hub?  Perhaps an 8 strength bolt would do it -  New bolt from Fromtheframeup broke.  something to either enlarge the shaft splines or the aluminium hub?  Anyone have this problem. Allan Chalmers, San Francisco

Allan Chalmers

Post by Allan Chalmers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 am

Enlarged the hole slightly and put in a 5/16 high strength, coarse thread no. 8 bolt and nut.  Tightened right up.
Allan Chalmers  TA TC