Re: MG TC8204: how to find out what happened in England, just after

Paul Gale

Post by Paul Gale » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 am

Hello to all

OOPS, the LHD TC question arises once more!

Best regards to all

Paul Gale

TC10067

Perth, Western Australia

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]bartsanders@motorwerk.nl [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, 24 October 2019 3:24 AM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] MG TC8204: how to find out what happened in England, just after being produced?

Hello to all,

We now know the history of TC8204 in the USA, at least until some point in time before 1995.

It's a "home" version, so it is unlikely to have been exported to the USA, although 1949 would suggest this. But, I guess the US market prefered export versions over home versions. The export version with LHD was already on the market for some time.

Maybe a US soldier or official took it with him? But, then, how many US soldiers were still in the UK in 1949, March or later?

So, my question to whoever is knowledgable: how can I find out what happened to TC8204 just after being produced and sold to somebody - likely in the UK. Was it registered in the UK, if so who was it?

Maybe it is possible to build the history up from there up to the point it was exported to the USA.

Thanks for any idea or poi! nter!

Bart Sanders

Charles Hill

Post by Charles Hill » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am

Bart, I'm not sure what you consider a "home" TC vs an "export" TC.?? There are a few differences but LHD was not one of them.?? No LHD TCs left the factory.?? A very few were converted to LHD by their owners, some with tragic results. As a rule of thumb, if it has a "Made in England" plate under the serial number plate, it is an export car and if there is no plate, it is a home model.?? Of course, there are bound to be exceptions and some plates have been lost over the years. Charles Hill
On 10/23/2019 2:23 PM, bartsanders@motorwerk.nl [mg-tabc] wrote:
Hello to all, We now know the history of TC8204 in the USA, at least until some point in time before 1995. It's a "home" version, so it is unlikely to have been exported to the USA, although 1949 would suggest this. But, I guess the US market prefered export versions over home versions. The export version with LHD was already on the market for some time. Maybe a US soldier or official took it with him? But, then, how many US soldiers were still in the UK in 1949, March or later? So, my question to whoever is knowledgable: how can I find out what happened to TC8204 just after being produced and sold to somebody - likely in the UK. Was it registered in the UK, if so who was it? Maybe it is possible to build the history up from there up to the point it was exported to the USA. Thanks for any idea or pointer! Bart Sanders

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 am

Just a minor correction, there were no LHD TCs made. A couple have been converted over the years using parts from other cars, but the factory never made them. Even the North American model "EXU" was right hand drive. - Steve Simmons, TC8975 On 10/23/2019 12:23 PM, bartsanders@motorwerk.nl [mg-tabc] wrote:
Hello to all, We now know the history of TC8204 in the USA, at least until some point in time before 1995. It's a "home" version, so it is unlikely to have been exported to the USA, although 1949 would suggest this. But, I guess the US market prefered export versions over home versions. The export version with LHD was already on the market for some time. Maybe a US soldier or official took it with him? But, then, how many US soldiers were still in the UK in 1949, March or later? So, my question to whoever is knowledgable: how can I find out what happened to TC8204 just after being produced and sold to somebody - likely in the UK. Was it registered in the UK, if so who was it? Maybe it is possible to build the history up from there up to the point it was exported to the USA. Thanks for any idea or pointer! Bart Sanders

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:39 am

There never was an ex-factory LHD TC Clive
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 09:02, 'Paul Gale' paulgale@tpg.com.au [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Hello to all[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

OOPS, the LHD TC question arises once more![u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Best regards to all[u][/u][u][/u]

Paul Gale[u][/u][u][/u]

TC10067[u][/u][u][/u]

Perth, Western Australia[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]bartsanders@motorwerk.nl [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, 24 October 2019 3:24 AM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] MG TC8204: how to find out what happened in England, just after being produced?[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u][u][/u]

Hello to all,[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

We now know the history of TC8204 in the USA, at least until some point in time before 1995.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

It's a "home" version, so it is unlikely to have been exported to the USA, although 1949 would suggest this. But, I guess the US market prefered export versions over home versions. The export version with LHD was already on the market for some time.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Maybe a US soldier or official took it with him? But, then, how many US soldiers were still in the UK in 1949, March or later?[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

So, my question to whoever is knowledgable: how can I find out what happened to TC8204 just after being produced and sold to somebody - likely in the UK. Was it registered in the UK, if so who was it?[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Maybe it is possible to build the history up from there up to the point it was exported to the USA.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Thanks for any idea or poi! nter![u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Bart Sanders[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u][u][/u][u][/u]