TC BONNET BUFFER BRACKETS

tud1.t21@btinternet.com

TC BONNET BUFFER BRACKETS

Post by tud1.t21@btinternet.com » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 am

Hi Listers, I am refurbishing my four TC Bonnet Buffer Brackets. The rubber has perished after seventy years service, but when I took the old rubbers off the paint underneath was body colour, not black as we are led to believe that all bracketry etc was painted that colour. It clearly wasn't primer. My question therefore is, were these buffer brackets and possibly the bonnet catch brackets also painted body colour? Kind regards, Mike Bate. TC10200 - Autumnal Cornwall, UK.

motionwear

Re: TC BONNET BUFFER BRACKETS

Post by motionwear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 am

Interesting find on the buffer brackets, Mike.  I've not found a single photo in my library of factory TC production and publicity photos that shows the bracket, so no clues there. From a production standpoint it seems illogical for them to be painted body color (black excepted).  What would the production sequence be?  Part stamped out, sent to paint shop for painting, then to the place where the rubber would be attached?   Spec 259 doesn't provide clues.  Sheet 19(1) Wings & Stays lists part 81815-Z Bonnet Buffer,  material 112 & Rbr (112 is a steel, rbr = rubber), with no note on finish.  The Bonnet Fastener Bracket, pert 81781-Z (Page 16(1) Bonnet) is made of 113 material (another steel spec), with no note on finish.  MG would carefully paint chassis to match body color for show cars, but it's likely TC10200 wouldn't have had this, as it was so late in production. Tom Wilson TC0273, TC0279, TC2040

Michael Bate

Post by Michael Bate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 am

Hi Tom, What you say makes logical sense. Although there is evidence that both chassis rear ends were painted red body colour as were the brake drums. I am uncertain though that TC10200 was a show car given that the TD would have been in production less than two weeks later at the begining of December 1949. I will be painting all buffers and fasteners black. Looks to be a safer bet. Thanks fot your interest and regards, Mike Bate - TC10200 - Cornwall UK. On 09/10/2019 16:23, MGTCTom@gmail.com [mg-tabc] wrote:
Interesting find on the buffer brackets, Mike. I've not found a single photo in my library of factory TC production and publicity photos that shows the bracket, so no clues there. From a production standpoint it seems illogical for them to be painted body color (black excepted). What would the production sequence be? Part stamped out, sent to paint shop for painting, then to the place where the rubber would be attached? Spec 259 doesn't provide clues. Sheet 19(1) Wings & Stays lists part 81815-Z Bonnet Buffer, material 112 & Rbr (112 is a steel, rbr = rubber), with no note on finish. The Bonnet Fastener Bracket, pert 81781-Z (Page 16(1) Bonnet) is made of 113 material (another steel spec), with no note on finish. MG would carefully paint chassis to match body color for show cars, but it's likely TC10200 wouldn't have had this, as it was so late in production. Tom Wilson TC0273, TC0279, TC2040

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am

Mike,

Mine is chassis number 10178, just 22 cars before yours and all the body brackets were (and still are) body paint black. I assume from this that they were painted at the same time as the body with the same paint. The black cellulose is different to the chassis paint. My car only spent 19 years on the road and had never been painted. It was laid up in 1968 because the owner thought it had broken a half shaft and meant to fix it next year which of course never came. When I took the wheel off I found the 6 hub nuts had come off and the nuts and washers were still embedded in EP140 inside the wheel hub!

[b][u]Norman Verona aka "Email Norman"[/u][/b]

11 Cherry close, Royston, S71 4LZ

Mob: 0741 9905 741

Web: www.frenchblat.com

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Michael Bate mailbox@tudorstudios.co.uk [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 10 October 2019 11:19 [b]To:[/b] MGTCTom@gmail.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Re: TC BONNET BUFFER BRACKETS

Hi Tom, What you say makes logical sense. Although there is evidence that both chassis rear ends were painted red body colour as were the brake drums. I am uncertain though that TC10200 was a show car given that the TD would have been in production less than two weeks later at the begining of December 1949. I will be painting all buffers and fasteners black. Looks to be a safer bet. Thanks fot your interest and regards, Mike Bate - TC10200 - Cornwall UK.
On 09/10/2019 16:23, MGTCTom@gmail.com [mg-tabc] wrote:

Interesting find on the buffer brackets, Mike.  I've not found a single photo in my library of factory TC production and publicity photos that shows the bracket, so no clues there. From a production standpoint it seems illogical for them to be painted body color (black excepted).  What would the production sequence be?  Part stamped out, sent to paint shop for painting, then to the place where the rubber would be attached?   Spec 259 doesn't provide clues.  Sheet 19(1) Wings & Stays lists part 81815-Z Bonnet Buffer,  material 112 & Rbr (112 is a steel, rbr = rubber), with no note on finish.  The Bonnet Fastener Bracket, pert 81781-Z (Page 16(1) Bonnet) is made of 113 material (another steel spec), with no note on finish.  MG would carefully paint chassis to match body color for show cars, but it's likely TC10200 wouldn't have had this, as it was so late in production. Tom Wilson TC0273, TC0279, TC2040

Karl Vacek

Post by Karl Vacek » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Inasmuch as the rubber would probably  be vulcanized to the steel, which needs to be done to unpainted steel, it seems most likely that the steel was stamped, the parts sent out for rubber installation, and then either painted overall first or else installed as is, to be painted with the body.

Karl

TC 6370

"Veni, Vidi, Volo in Domum Redire."  (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)