Why car Suddenly Dead while driving

jeffrey townsend

Re: Fwd: Why car Suddenly Dead while driving

Post by jeffrey townsend » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:00 am

Hi Tweed, But I ve found over the years that fuses invariably blow for a reason.  Regards  Jeff  Sent from my iPhone
On 6 Sep 2019, at 12:10, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I had a friend call by the other day in his beautiful 1933 Austin 10 and when he went to leave it wouldn't fire.   After  buggering about for half an hour or so and coming to the conclusion the ign. switch 'must' have given up the ghost, we hot-wired it just to get the thing going so he get home.  He rang an hour later to tell me it was the 35amp main fuse that had blown!  So much for checking the simple things first.  Tweed.      On Thursday, 5 September 2019, 19:12:18 BST, Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   It was the main fuse  Sent from my iPhone On Sep 5, 2019, at 8:33 AM, phil smith mgpsmith@att.net> wrote: Check for: (after visual inspection to be sure no obvious deviations)..... 1.  Spark (spark plug connector to ground). if not, disconnect coil lead on diz cap and see if there is spark..  Diagnose diz HT vs coil problem.   -if no spark off of coil use a test light or VOM on LT side to be sure points open/close.   -if everything seems ok try a new rotor.....and check all grounds.  2.  Fuel (push plunger on bowl with ignition on and see if fuel pump runs/dumps gas out the vent tube.).  Fix as needed.   On Sep 5, 2019, at 7:38 AM, Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Turns over but will not start Sent from my iPhone Begin forwarded message: [b]From:[/b] Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca> [b]Date:[/b] September 5, 2019 at 7:31:43 AM EDT [b]To:[/b] MGTABC GROUP mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] [b]Why car Suddenly Dead while driving[/b] I am stuck on the side of a highway Sent from my iPhone

dg573@btinternet.com

Post by dg573@btinternet.com » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am

#ygrps-yiv-1698179693 p{margin:0;} Always carry a cheap multimeter in your toolbox ! Dave White
------ Original Message ------ From: "Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> To: "phil smith" mgpsmith@att.net>; "MGTABC GROUP" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, 5 Sep, 2019 At 18:06 Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Fwd: Why car Suddenly Dead while driving It was the main fuse Sent from my iPhone On Sep 5, 2019, at 8:33 AM, phil smith mgpsmith@att.net> wrote: [quote]Check for: (after visual inspection to be sure no obvious deviations).... 1. Spark (spark plug connector to ground). if not, disconnect coil lead on diz cap and see if there is spark.. Diagnose diz HT vs coil problem. -if no spark off of coil use a test light or VOM on LT side to be sure points open/close. -if everything seems ok try a new rotor.....and check all grounds. 2. Fuel (push plunger on bowl with ignition on and see if fuel pump runs/dumps gas out the vent tube.). Fix as needed. On Sep 5, 2019, at 7:38 AM, Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Turns over but will not start Sent from my iPhone Begin forwarded message: [b]From:[/b] Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca> [b]Date:[/b] September 5, 2019 at 7:31:43 AM EDT [b]To:[/b] MGTABC GROUP mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] [b]Why car Suddenly Dead while driving[/b]
I am stuck on the side of a highway Sent from my iPhone
[/quote]

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 am

True Jeff ... but a light bulb is a fuse of sorts .. and they go pop for no apparent reason. No doubt someone will delight in informing this ignoramous that there is.     As it happens,  I got a bit more info from my Austin owning friend ... and according to him the contacts in the fuse box were in his words,  'filthy and covered in sweet violets'!  Apparently when he replaced the fuse it didn't make contact ... so perhaps it had been trying for a while and finally thought sod it!  Tweed  
On Friday, 6 September 2019, 13:00:15 BST, jeffrey townsend jeff.townsend@hotmail.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Hi Tweed, But I ve found over the years that fuses invariably blow for a reason.  Regards  Jeff  Sent from my iPhone On 6 Sep 2019, at 12:10, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I had a friend call by the other day in his beautiful 1933 Austin 10 and when he went to leave it wouldn't fire.   After  buggering about for half an hour or so and coming to the conclusion the ign. switch 'must' have given up the ghost, we hot-wired it just to get the thing going so he get home.  He rang an hour later to tell me it was the 35amp main fuse that had blown!  So much for checking the simple things first.  Tweed.      On Thursday, 5 September 2019, 19:12:18 BST, Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   It was the main fuse  Sent from my iPhone On Sep 5, 2019, at 8:33 AM, phil smith mgpsmith@att.net> wrote: Check for: (after visual inspection to be sure no obvious deviations)..... 1.  Spark (spark plug connector to ground). if not, disconnect coil lead on diz cap and see if there is spark..  Diagnose diz HT vs coil problem.   -if no spark off of coil use a test light or VOM on LT side to be sure points open/close.   -if everything seems ok try a new rotor.....and check all grounds.  2.  Fuel (push plunger on bowl with ignition on and see if fuel pump runs/dumps gas out the vent tube.).  Fix as needed.   On Sep 5, 2019, at 7:38 AM, Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Turns over but will not start Sent from my iPhone Begin forwarded message: [b]From:[/b] Bruce Doran Veevers bruce@mbssales.ca> [b]Date:[/b] September 5, 2019 at 7:31:43 AM EDT [b]To:[/b] MGTABC GROUP mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] [b]Why car Suddenly Dead while driving[/b] I am stuck on the side of a highway Sent from my iPhone