Engine machining XPAG and similiar

M. P.

Engine machining XPAG and similiar

Post by M. P. » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:13 am

Our engine is presently at the machinist and he says the jugs have been bored out to .100" OS by the previous owner and they now need to go to .120" or be sleeved and drop back to .020" hdwr.  I've heard horror stories on the .120" OS and Book Price $530.00 in new pistons and rings only to have a thin spot break through due to water passageway erosion.  The sleeves are $180.00 current book price and the jugs have to be bored out to .125" OS to accept them, then the sleeves need to be cleaned up to accept new .020" hdwr.   
Has anyone got any experience to share on this?  Good or Bad???
Thanks in advance....  
Marv Proctor

Corky & Priscilla

Re: Engine machining XPAG and similiar

Post by Corky & Priscilla » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Marv, FWIW, my engine had been bored to +.120 and my machinist sleeved it back to STD.  He also procured the sleeves.  I believe there is room in my sleeves to go at least +.030 if another re-bore is required (not likely in my lifetime, I hope).   At any rate, he did not break through the bore sides when boring for the sleeves.  He had sonic tested the bores and determined that there was room.  That of course does not preclude the possibility of an anomaly.  Your machinist should be able to do some testing and provide some guidance.   Corky    [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com">'M. P.' imabystander@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, August 30, 2019 02:13 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com">mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com">MG-TABC List [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Engine machining XPAG and similiar   Our engine is presently at the machinist and he says the jugs have been bored out to .100" OS by the previous owner and they now need to go to .120" or be sleeved and drop back to .020" hdwr.  I've heard horror stories on the .120" OS and Book Price $530.00 in new pistons and rings only to have a thin spot break through due to water passageway erosion.  The sleeves are $180.00 current book price and the jugs have to be bored out to .125" OS to accept them, then the sleeves need to be cleaned up to accept new .020" hdwr.     Has anyone got any experience to share on this?  Good or Bad???   Thanks in advance....    Marv Proctor

Jim Buell

Re: Engine machining XPAG and similiar

Post by Jim Buell » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:12 pm

When I rebuilt XPAG10562 for racing, I had my machinist over bore the block and install wet sleeves to take the engine to 1466cc (TF) spec.  That was 17 years ago that included 7years of racing and never had a bore or block problem. Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad