Lucas 40048AF distributor

jaytee.foster

Lucas 40048AF distributor

Post by jaytee.foster » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 am

According to the Lucas parts catalog the Lucas 40048AF distributor was fitted to the MG TC from 1946 to 1949.  If anyone has this distributor could you measure from the base of the distributor body (where the distributor sits on the clamp) to the centerline of the driving gear?  I would very much appreciate receiving that information. Tim

Gene Gillam

Re: Lucas 40048AF distributor

Post by Gene Gillam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 am

Tim, This may have the info you re looking for (tks Bob Grunau):  http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/distributor.htm Gene GillamSaucier, MS Sent from my iPad
On Aug 30, 2019, at 6:19 AM, tburchfi@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  According to the Lucas parts catalog the Lucas 40048AF distributor was fitted to the MG TC from 1946 to 1949.  If anyone has this distributor could you measure from the base of the distributor body (where the distributor sits on the clamp) to the centerline of the driving gear?  I would very much appreciate receiving that information. Tim

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:42 am

There is no difference that I am aware of between the body of one versus the other. DKY4A distributors all use the same body and are therefore all interchangeable. The only difference would be the stock advance curve. - Steve Simmons, TC8975 On 8/30/2019 4:19 AM, tburchfi@gmail.com [mg-tabc] wrote:
According to the Lucas parts catalog the Lucas 40048AF distributor was fitted to the MG TC from 1946 to 1949. If anyone has this distributor could you measure from the base of the distributor body (where the distributor sits on the clamp) to the centerline of the driving gear? I would very much appreciate receiving that information. Tim

Peter Cole

Post by Peter Cole » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 am

Tim, I beg to differ with Steve. DKY4A was a generic code and there were many variants that differ in detail. I believe the summary by Bob Grunau referred to by Gene is correct. The version of the DKY4A that is correct for the TC/TD has a dimension of 2-1/2 from the top of the shaft (where it disappears into the mazak casing) to the centre line of the gear teeth. It must be used with either a micro adjuster or spacer in order to reduce its effective length to 2 3/8 inches. I also believe the #40048 version was superseded by #40162, (possibly after the end of TC/TD production) but the dimensions remained the same. Regards Peter Cole.
On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 12:23, tburchfi@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] According to the Lucas parts catalog the Lucas 40048AF distributor was fitted to the MG TC from 1946 to 1949. If anyone has this distributor could you measure from the base of the distributor body (where the distributor sits on the clamp) to the centerline of the driving gear? I would very much appreciate receiving that information. Tim

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

I guess I should have noted that I was referring to all of the DKY4A that were used on XPAG engines. I don't know what variants other makes may have used. If there were dimensional differences between the various DKY4A used in TC/TD, I'm not aware of them. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny. Bob's article is the most detailed and complete that I've seen. - Steve Simmons, TC8975 On 8/30/2019 10:30 AM, Peter Cole pcoleuk@gmail.com [mg-tabc] wrote:
Tim, I beg to differ with Steve. DKY4A was a generic code and there were many variants that differ in detail. I believe the summary by Bob Grunau referred to by Gene is correct. The version of the DKY4A that is correct for the TC/TD has a dimension of 2-1/2 from the top of the shaft (where it disappears into the mazak casing) to the centre line of the gear teeth. It must be used with either a micro adjuster or spacer in order to reduce its effective length to 2 3/8 inches. I also believe the #40048 version was superseded by #40162, (possibly after the end of TC/TD production) but the dimensions remained the same. Regards Peter Cole. On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 12:23, tburchfi@gmail.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: According to the Lucas parts catalog the Lucas 40048AF distributor was fitted to the MG TC from 1946 to 1949. If anyone has this distributor could you measure from the base of the distributor body (where the distributor sits on the clamp) to the centerline of the driving gear? I would very much appreciate receiving that information. Tim