Cam sprocket question

Gene Gillam

Cam sprocket question

Post by Gene Gillam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:15 pm

In the far back reaches of my mind I seem to remember that part 72 (oil thrower) is actually supposed to be turned around and not installed as shown.  It makes sense to me since if installed this way it gets crushed and actually doesn t do a damn thing.
Thanks in advance
Gene Gillam
Saucier, MS
If the picture doesn t show up it was taken from the internal engine picture in the MOSS catalog.
[img]cid:4732CE7D-2055-4262-809F-0EF63237CA8C[/img]

Gene Gillam

Re: Cam sprocket question

Post by Gene Gillam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Found this:  https://www.mgexp.com/forum/t-series-and-prewar-forum.46/my-xpag-rebuild-progress.3765207/page-3 Read down through it...this is the same adjustable cam gear I have and you can see why I question the direction of the piece. Gene Gillam Sent from my iPad
On Jul 23, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Robert FzMG robfzmg@outlook.com> wrote:
Oops.   I just went to check on the motor I have out of the TA Special (installing rear lip oil seal).  Bob s right.   And my memory is worse than I thought :) Robert Begin forwarded message: From: "'Bob Grunau' grunau.garage@sympatico.ca [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Cam sprocket question Date: July 23, 2019 at 5:24:26 PM PDT To: "'Gene Gillam'" anngene@bellsouth.net>, mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Reply-To: grunau.garage@sympatico.ca> Gene,

NO, correctly installed as shown. It flings the oil from the front cam bearing back into the face of the cam gear where is is flung outwards to the groove in the gear teeth area and then through holes to lubricate the timing chain,

Bob

Bob Grunau

150 Pinewood Trail,

Mississauga, Ontario

Canada, L5G-2L1

905-274-4136

From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gene Gillam anngene@bellsouth.net [mg-tabc] Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:16 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] Cam sprocket question [1 Attachment]

In the far back reaches of my mind I seem to remember that part 72 (oil thrower) is actually supposed to be turned around and not installed as shown.  It makes sense to me since if installed this way it gets crushed and actually doesn t do a damn thing.

Thanks in advance

Gene Gillam

Saucier, MS

If the picture doesn t show up it was taken from the internal engine picture in the MOSS catalog.

[img]cid:image001.png@01D54194.9FB98B00[/img]