Re: Distributor Cap and Wires [2 Attachments]

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 pm

I could be wrong, but that cap appears to be for a 25d or similar distributor, as used on MGA, MGB, etc. The wires insert into the holes and a grub screw is then tightened from inside the cap which pierces the wires. - Steve On 7/11/2019 12:42 PM, 'M. P.' imabystander@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] wrote:
[b]Steve: I have three new caps with screw in nuts and then I have this one. Have dad it for probably 20 years +/- A little dusty but I believe it to be new. It is a Lucas cap p/n 418861 side entry push in wires, If interested, I can go mount it to my engine and take a pic. Also have new rotor. I don't have a good answer for wire resistance but your guestimated values sound a bit low. I use Bumblebee wire and have never worried about resistance. [/b] On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 02:12:58 PM CDT, Steve S mail@mgnuts.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com wrote: Does anyone know of a source for a distributor cap to fit an XPAG distributor but with push-on connections? Also what is the acceptable resistance range for plug wires? I've been told 1-2 ohms from coil connection to plug connection. - Steve Simmons, TC8975

Frank Graham

Post by Frank Graham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:07 pm

#ygrps-yiv-306546167 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} Steve, As already noted the 418861 cap wont fit a DK4Y dizzy, you can get a similar side exit cap for the XPAG dizzy that uses the same pointed grub screws ti secure the wire. Just look up caps for Austin A40 for that type of cap which was also used on many many other Morris, Hillman, etc models. These are not 'push on' as you requested but it does eliminate the need for the little split brass washer and plastic screw on  nut to secure the wire. Frank  [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'M. P.' imabystander@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:42 PM [b]To:[/b] MG tabcgroups; Steve S [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Distributor Cap and Wires [2 Attachments]    

Steve: I have three new caps with screw in nuts and then I have this one.  Have dad it for probably 20 years +/-  A little dusty but I believe it to be new.  It is a Lucas cap p/n 418861 side entry push in wires,  If interested, I can go mount it to my engine and take a pic.  Also have new rotor.   I don't have a good answer for wire resistance but your guestimated values sound a bit low.  I use Bumblebee wire and have never worried about resistance.  
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 02:12:58 PM CDT, Steve S mail@mgnuts.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Does anyone know of a source for a distributor cap to fit an XPAG distributor but with push-on connections?  Also what is the acceptable resistance range for plug wires?  I've been told 1-2 ohms from coil connection to plug connection. - Steve Simmons, TC8975

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks, good tip. It doesn't appear that any actual push-on caps are available based on replies so far. - Steve Simmons, TC8975 On 7/11/2019 1:07 PM, Frank Graham wrote:
#ygrps-yiv-2084154839 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} Steve, As already noted the 418861 cap wont fit a DK4Y dizzy, you can get a similar side exit cap for the XPAG dizzy that uses the same pointed grub screws ti secure the wire. Just look up caps for Austin A40 for that type of cap which was also used on many many other Morris, Hillman, etc models. These are not 'push on' as you requested but it does eliminate the need for the little split brass washer and plastic screw on nut to secure the wire. Frank [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com on behalf of 'M. P.' imabystander@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:42 PM [b]To:[/b] MG tabcgroups; Steve S [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Distributor Cap and Wires [2 Attachments] Steve: I have three new caps with screw in nuts and then I have this one. Have dad it for probably 20 years +/- A little dusty but I believe it to be new. It is a Lucas cap p/n 418861 side entry push in wires, If interested, I can go mount it to my engine and take a pic. Also have new rotor. I don't have a good answer for wire resistance but your guestimated values sound a bit low. I use Bumblebee wire and have never worried about resistance. On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 02:12:58 PM CDT, Steve S mail@mgnuts.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com wrote: Does anyone know of a source for a distributor cap to fit an XPAG distributor but with push-on connections? Also what is the acceptable resistance range for plug wires? I've been told 1-2 ohms from coil connection to plug connection. - Steve Simmons, TC8975