Welcome new member Roland Crisp

Duncan

Re: Welcome new member Roland Crisp

Post by Duncan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

All,The Tompkins kit only deals with one of two required adjustments on the BC box.  Not adjusting out excessive end play is one way to end up with wandering steering.  Tomkins kit only does top plate adjustment, and does nothing for end play adjustment.  Both of these adjustments are critical for safety and satisfactory steering.  The Jim Buell article covers the entire front end and includes "BOTH" BC box adjustments.http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/Buell-TC-Frontend-3rd-ed.pdf Duncan TC9866
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:24:19 AM PDT, Stephen D Stierman morgan7709@sbcglobal.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Roland, There is another issue I discovered in tinkering with TC2911. New king pins, adjusted Tompkins kit, etc. etc. there is always a bit of free play in the box but it should not be excessive and there is not much you can do about it. I noticed in the specifications of the TA, and TB, the toe in is set at 1/2", the TC is 1/4" I believe. On a whim, I set the toe to 1/2" and the car was transformed. I no longer had to constantly adjust the wheel to keep it in a straight line and the steering was much more responsive to turn in. With 1/2" the car does track straight and even though you still have a bit of free play, you constantly do not have to correct to keep it in a straight line. Steve TC2911 On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 11:19:57 AM EDT, Roland Crisp rolycrisp@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Thanks to one and all for such a kind welcome, I'm sorting out through the steering components and shall report back. It does have a Tompkins steering kit fitted, so I'll pay attention to that as well, Cheers, Roland On Wednesday, 10 July 2019, 03:38:06 BST, twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Another "Welcome!" from the USA!  You will find once your TC is dialed in it will be a joy to drive, with nimble  steering and handling - mine are rock solid straight even at 70 mph. Advice you're received on this forum is pretty sound so far. I'll add a general sequence of items to pay attention to.  Details on specs and "how to" is available from prior recommended sources.
    [*]Springs - and the bushing mount points - all need to be in good shape.  Good rubber, proper amount of 'spring' (even with no sagging), all bolts/nuts properly tightened.[*]Caster, Camber, and toe-in all need to be correct.  Axle not bent, correctly installed with toe in set.[*]King pins and wheel bearings in good condition with no undue play (none at all is best).[*]Tie rod and drag link ends properly assembled, with no wear on the balls or cups; no broken springs.[*]Steering box - no wear on critical components (all are critical, really).[*]Steering wheel (and column) properly tightened so there is no play there.
With "frightening steering" it's probably best to address all these things, following a sequence.  Should you need some professional help (always good), ask Clive; as he's in Oxfordshire  I'm sure he'll have a recommendation. Andy King is an excellent choice, but he's a ways up north for you. Next time I'm in the UK I'll see if I can get in touch when I'm up to Abingdon and we could get together to say hello. Cheers, Tom WIlson Zionsville IN USA TC0273 TC0279 TC2040 VA1508  BGT LE50-09 plus 11 MMMs

Roland Crisp

Re: Welcome new member Roland Crisp

Post by Roland Crisp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Steve, That's interesting about the toe-in. My TC was toe-out and a pal set to toe-in with a gizmo with which each wheel was rolled over. The steering was much improved and then I had it set "accurately"in degrees at a garage (they said the was toe-in was too much), however I'm sure it isn't as stable now, so it seems that it may need more toe-in? Roland TC5951
On Wednesday, 10 July 2019, 19:05:02 BST, Duncan morelists@yahoo.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  All,The Tompkins kit only deals with one of two required adjustments on the BC box.  Not adjusting out excessive end play is one way to end up with wandering steering.  Tomkins kit only does top plate adjustment, and does nothing for end play adjustment.  Both of these adjustments are critical for safety and satisfactory steering.  The Jim Buell article covers the entire front end and includes "BOTH" BC box adjustments.http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/Buell-TC-Frontend-3rd-ed.pdf Duncan TC9866 On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:24:19 AM PDT, Stephen D Stierman morgan7709@sbcglobal.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Roland, There is another issue I discovered in tinkering with TC2911. New king pins, adjusted Tompkins kit, etc. etc. there is always a bit of free play in the box but it should not be excessive and there is not much you can do about it. I noticed in the specifications of the TA, and TB, the toe in is set at 1/2", the TC is 1/4" I believe. On a whim, I set the toe to 1/2" and the car was transformed. I no longer had to constantly adjust the wheel to keep it in a straight line and the steering was much more responsive to turn in. With 1/2" the car does track straight and even though you still have a bit of free play, you constantly do not have to correct to keep it in a straight line. Steve TC2911 On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 11:19:57 AM EDT, Roland Crisp rolycrisp@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Thanks to one and all for such a kind welcome, I'm sorting out through the steering components and shall report back. It does have a Tompkins steering kit fitted, so I'll pay attention to that as well, Cheers, Roland On Wednesday, 10 July 2019, 03:38:06 BST, twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Another "Welcome!" from the USA!  You will find once your TC is dialed in it will be a joy to drive, with nimble  steering and handling - mine are rock solid straight even at 70 mph. Advice you're received on this forum is pretty sound so far. I'll add a general sequence of items to pay attention to.  Details on specs and "how to" is available from prior recommended sources.
    [*]Springs - and the bushing mount points - all need to be in good shape.  Good rubber, proper amount of 'spring' (even with no sagging), all bolts/nuts properly tightened.[*]Caster, Camber, and toe-in all need to be correct.  Axle not bent, correctly installed with toe in set.[*]King pins and wheel bearings in good condition with no undue play (none at all is best).[*]Tie rod and drag link ends properly assembled, with no wear on the balls or cups; no broken springs.[*]Steering box - no wear on critical components (all are critical, really).[*]Steering wheel (and column) properly tightened so there is no play there.
With "frightening steering" it's probably best to address all these things, following a sequence.  Should you need some professional help (always good), ask Clive; as he's in Oxfordshire  I'm sure he'll have a recommendation. Andy King is an excellent choice, but he's a ways up north for you. Next time I'm in the UK I'll see if I can get in touch when I'm up to Abingdon and we could get together to say hello. Cheers, Tom WIlson Zionsville IN USA TC0273 TC0279 TC2040 VA1508  BGT LE50-09 plus 11 MMMs