TC gear ratios

Clive Sherriff

Re: TC gear ratios

Post by Clive Sherriff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 am

Hi Tweed,Sometimes we are not aware of the " not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars " that we have as original equipment, I recall discovering heated seats in the TB one particularly cold winter's day in Devon, when the silencer split at trhe top, the exhaust gases burnt through the floorboards, and the drivers seat cusion ignited as I trundeled along at 60 mph ! They really did think of everything at Abingdon in those days. Clive(Cold) Oxford, UKm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] We each get our jollies in different ways and, unless it's illegal, who's to say what is right or wrong. The changes I have made to 'my' car can be reversed by the next custodian if they feel they really cannot live with them. I am happy with the changes to 0632 and get great enjoyment from driving it anywhere ... be it on country lanes or trunk roads. I would be 'cheating at solitaire' if I was trying to convince myself. Yes, you have to be aware at all times the vehicle was designed 70 odd years ago and is not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars, ie 'lane changing', 'auto braking', 'auto lights', 'change gear now lights', buzzers telling you how far away something is' and the now some even park themselves for heavens sake! Mind you with some peoples idea of parking that is a good thing! Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy. It all comes down to why we have them and how we use them .. and as I said there is no right, no wrong .. so best enjoy them in the way that suits you. If it wasn't for Cecil Kimber taking a bull nose Morris and making specials we wouldn't have any MG's at all. If he is looking down, I'd like to think he's not getting too bent out of shape because some of his cars were still going through changes. Life is too short to take too seriously. Tweed. . From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios Just don t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.

Wim Jetten

AW: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Post by Wim Jetten » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 am

Mine has the automatic lane changing option.

Wim

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We each get our jollies in different ways and, unless it's illegal, who's to say what is right or wrong.  The changes I have made to 'my' car can be reversed by the next custodian if they feel they really cannot live with them.   

I am happy with the changes to 0632 and get great enjoyment from driving it anywhere ... be it on country lanes or trunk roads.  I would be 'cheating at solitaire' if I was trying to convince myself.          

Yes, you have to be aware at all times the vehicle was designed 70 odd years ago and is not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars, ie  'lane changing', 'auto braking', 'auto lights', 'change gear now lights', buzzers telling you how far away something is' and the now some even park themselves for heavens sake!   Mind you with some peoples idea of parking that is a good thing!  

Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy.     

It all comes down to why we have them and how we use them .. and as I said there is no right, no wrong .. so best enjoy them in the way that suits you.  If it wasn't for Cecil Kimber taking a bull nose Morris and making specials we wouldn't have any MG's at all.  If he is looking down, I'd like to think he's not getting too bent out of shape because some of his cars were still going through changes.   Life is too short to take too seriously.  

Tweed.       

From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Just don t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.

tc5308_tc5624

Post by tc5308_tc5624 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:07 am

Liar, Liar, Pants on fire!  Oh, wait - i suppose your smoking trousers are evidence of the truth! Bob Stein In a message dated 2/4/2019 6:23:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com writes:
    Hi Tweed, Sometimes we are not aware of the "  not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars " that we have as original equipment, I recall discovering heated seats in the TB one particularly cold winter's day in Devon, when the silencer split at trhe top, the exhaust gases burnt through the floorboards, and the drivers seat cusion ignited as I trundeled along at 60 mph !   They really did think of everything at Abingdon in those days. Clive (Cold) Oxford, UK m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]     We each get our jollies in different ways and, unless it's illegal, who's to say what is right or wrong.  The changes I have made to 'my' car can be reversed by the next custodian if they feel they really cannot live with them.   I am happy with the changes to 0632 and get great enjoyment from driving it anywhere ... be it on country lanes or trunk roads.  I would be 'cheating at solitaire' if I was trying to convince myself.               Yes, you have to be aware at all times the vehicle was designed 70 odd years ago and is not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars, ie  'lane changing', 'auto braking', 'auto lights', 'change gear now lights', buzzers telling you how far away something is' and the now some even park themselves for heavens sake!   Mind you with some peoples idea of parking that is a good thing! Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy.     It all comes down to why we have them and how we use them .. and as I said there is no right, no wrong .. so best enjoy them in the way that suits you.  If it wasn't for Cecil Kimber taking a bull nose Morris and making specials we wouldn't have any MG's at all.  If he is looking down, I'd like to think he's not getting too bent out of shape because some of his cars were still going through changes.   Life is too short to take too seriously. Tweed.         .   From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios   Just don’t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.

Rick

Re: AW: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Post by Rick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 am

Thats funny!  Mine has that option too, who would have thought all those years ago how far ahead MG were with technology.

On February 4, 2019 at 6:18 AM "'Wim Jetten' jetten@bluewin.ch [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:     Mine has the automatic lane changing option.

Wim

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We each get our jollies in different ways and, unless it's illegal, who's to say what is right or wrong.  The changes I have made to 'my' car can be reversed by the next custodian if they feel they really cannot live with them.   

I am happy with the changes to 0632 and get great enjoyment from driving it anywhere ... be it on country lanes or trunk roads.  I would be 'cheating at solitaire' if I was trying to convince myself.          

Yes, you have to be aware at all times the vehicle was designed 70 odd years ago and is not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars, ie  'lane changing', 'auto braking', 'auto lights', 'change gear now lights', buzzers telling you how far away something is' and the now some even park themselves for heavens sake!   Mind you with some peoples idea of parking that is a good thing!  

Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy.     

It all comes down to why we have them and how we use them .. and as I said there is no right, no wrong .. so best enjoy them in the way that suits you.  If it wasn't for Cecil Kimber taking a bull nose Morris and making specials we wouldn't have any MG's at all.  If he is looking down, I'd like to think he's not getting too bent out of shape because some of his cars were still going through changes.   Life is too short to take too seriously.  

Tweed.       

From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Just don’t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.

phil smith

Re: AW: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Post by phil smith » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:39 am

At least in CT, I've found the TC has a useful cruise control for Interstate highway driving.  It's activated by simply putting one's right foot all the way to the floor and holding it there.  It keeps up well enough to stay in the right lane. 
On Monday, February 4, 2019, 10:29:43 AM EST, Rick rbfisk@comcast.net [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Thats funny!  Mine has that option too, who would have thought all those years ago how far ahead MG were with technology.

On February 4, 2019 at 6:18 AM "'Wim Jetten' jetten@bluewin.ch [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:     Mine has the automatic lane changing option.

Wim

Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy. ! 0;   

Tweed.       

From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios

Just don t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 am

:))) ... Nothing is new Clive, those early heated seats were a bit 'temperamental'!   Your story reminds me ... I frightened the life out of some poor chap years ago when the silencer split open on a TR4 I had at time. He just happened to be walking past at the point of reverberation!  He seemed to take off vertically .. like our cat when it touched the electric wire round the pond :)   Why is it when something like that happens we cannot help but laugh like drains :)  It wasn't funny really as he could have had a heart attack ... but being young and foolish we were in kinks!     Not quite as dramatic as your ordeal, but I would imagine it still involved the replacement of trousers!!  Tweed.         
On Monday, 4 February 2019, 11:11:52 GMT, CLIVE SHERRIFF csherriff99@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tweed,Sometimes we are not aware of the "  not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars " that we have as original equipment, I recall discovering heated seats in the TB one particularly cold winter's day in Devon, when the silencer split at trhe top, the exhaust gases burnt through the floorboards, and the drivers seat cusion ignited as I trundeled along at 60 mph !   They really did think of everything at Abingdon in those days. Clive(Cold) Oxford, UKm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Tweed lizandtweed@yahoo.co.uk [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]   We each get our jollies in different ways and, unless it's illegal, who's to say what is right or wrong.  The changes I have made to 'my' car can be reversed by the next custodian if they feel they really cannot live with them.    I am happy with the changes to 0632 and get great enjoyment from driving it anywhere ... be it on country lanes or trunk roads.  I would be 'cheating at solitaire' if I was trying to convince myself.                 Yes, you have to be aware at all times the vehicle was designed 70 odd years ago and is not full of the woossy driving aids of modern cars, ie  'lane changing', 'auto braking', 'auto lights', 'change gear now lights', buzzers telling you how far away something is' and the now some even park themselves for heavens sake!   Mind you with some peoples idea of parking that is a good thing!  Although the design is pre-war, I think it's fair to say most of the T types we see on the road will have been the subject of major work or total rebuilds and will have benefitted in some way from the advances made in technology and metallurgy.      It all comes down to why we have them and how we use them .. and as I said there is no right, no wrong .. so best enjoy them in the way that suits you.  If it wasn't for Cecil Kimber taking a bull nose Morris and making specials we wouldn't have any MG's at all.  If he is looking down, I'd like to think he's not getting too bent out of shape because some of his cars were still going through changes.   Life is too short to take too seriously.   Tweed.           .    From: "twilson@indy.rr.com [mg-tabc]" mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2019, 2:33 [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: TC gear ratios   Just don t upshift as early in the RPM range and you will eliminate the feeling of sluggishness.