Headlight shell

Dean Jensen

Re: Headlight shell

Post by Dean Jensen » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:16 am

Lee Seems that I only got only part of the email that was send, about the steel headlight shells, about the number being stamped in the bottom, this is the same case as mine, were they on the car when you got it, and do you think they have always been on the car. If yes, this would tend to indicate to me that maybe, which is a big maybe, mine are the ones that belong on my car, as I think you have a TA Tickford, which would have been made about the same time as my TA Cheers Dean

John G. Bulcken IV

Post by John G. Bulcken IV » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:25 am

Lamp shells are usually dated. You will find this on the bottom where the rim fits. Unfortunately this can be buffed off by replating. On my TB MB 140s they read 5 39 near where the clip attaches. Early TCs had the dates too and were also MB 140s but with a slightly different script on the steel bases. Not sure if this continued through 1949. hope this helps. JGBIV
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Jensen" djensen@accessus.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 9:15 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Headlight shell > > > Lee > Seems that I only got only part of the email that was send, about the > steel headlight shells, about the number being stamped in the bottom, > this is the same case as mine, were they on the car when you got it, and > do you think they have always been on the car. If yes, this would tend > to indicate to me that maybe, which is a big maybe, mine are the ones > that belong on my car, as I think you have a TA Tickford, which would > have been made about the same time as my TA > > Cheers Dean > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

John G. Bulcken IV

Fw: [mg-tabc] Headlight shell

Post by John G. Bulcken IV » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:33 am

I belive that as you said, prewar cars had screws and postwar cars were fitted with clip retainers for the rims.
Regards
Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC
True for all except TB, again the change from grub screw to clip is listed in the factory parts book along with the TB lamp, lense and rim change. The coffee table books are wrong on this one. Just trying to set the record straight.
Kind regards,
John
VA TB

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:22 pm

The lens and rim described below is the correct one for the TB. Additionally, there is a "Continental" lens that has some fluting on it, but is flat as well. The rim is peculiar to the TB in the T cars, but I don't know if it fits anything else. Best, Ray Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Headlight shell Bob and all, The TA had Lucas LBD 140 EDS lamps which had the rims with a grub screw and the fairly flat horse shoe lenses. These were brass and had the solenoid dipping set up. The TB however did NOT have the same lamps or lenses as the TA and this is clearly stated in the TA / TB parts book. The TB had a different wiring harness and was not set up for a dipping solenoid and did not have one.The TB had MB 140 lamps with the KOR medallion countersunk unlike the TA where this is proud. The TB lamps have a 39 date inside at the bottom under the rim. They use the catch like a TC only it is slightly smaller pre war as is the hole in the rim. The rims have a pronounced turned in lip like those used for the Jaguar tripod set up. The TB lenses are the Lucas "difusa" type which is flat frosted glass...part #13/4 like on a J2. The best shot of this is in MG by McComb on page 147...TB reg.# CJB 59

John G. Bulcken IV

Post by John G. Bulcken IV » Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:56 pm

It (the rim) is similar to the type used for those semi sealed Jag. type tripod units that many folks put on TCs which is why these are so hard to find if they have gone missing as is often the case. The hole at the bottom and the retaining clips are smaller than the post war type though. CHEERS, Johnny
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray" spook01@comcast.net> To: "John G. Bulcken IV" cbrenner01@snet.net>; cgrunau@pathcom.com>; "Dean Jensen" djensen@accessus.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 7:19 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Headlight shell > The lens and rim described below is the correct one for the TB. > Additionally, there is a "Continental" lens that has some fluting on it, > but is flat as well. > The rim is peculiar to the TB in the T cars, but I don't know if it fits > anything else. > Best, > Ray > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Headlight shell > > > Bob and all, > The TA had Lucas LBD 140 EDS lamps which had the rims with a grub screw > and the fairly flat horse shoe lenses. These were brass and had the solenoid > dipping set up. The TB however did NOT have the same lamps or lenses as the > TA and this is clearly stated in the TA / TB parts book. The TB had a > different wiring harness and was not set up for a dipping solenoid and did > not have one.The TB had MB 140 lamps with the KOR medallion countersunk > unlike the TA where this is proud. The TB lamps have a 39 date inside at the > bottom under the rim. They use the catch like a TC only it is slightly > smaller pre war as is the hole in the rim. The rims have a pronounced turned > in lip like those used for the Jaguar tripod set up. The TB lenses are the > Lucas "difusa" type which is flat frosted glass...part #13/4 like on a J2. > The best shot of this is in MG by McComb on page 147...TB reg.# CJB 59 >

Dave & Diana Dwyer

Post by Dave & Diana Dwyer » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:19 am

Lucas made shells in steel with painted finish for commercial vehicles (and possible the cheapest cars too). Some time in the past a PO found some undamaged steel shells and had them chromed. Regards Dave Dwyer J2, TA, TC