5 speed conversion

Clive Sherriff

Re: 5 speed conversion

Post by Clive Sherriff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

Bud, You have seen the light....... That's a much better approach ! Clive ===========================
----- Original Message ----- From: Bud Silvers To: 'Bud Silvers' ; 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 3:41 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues.... Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bjorn Klingenberg

Post by Bjorn Klingenberg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am

Murray and others, Interesting comment about inspections and safety in Australia versus Europe. In the land of the free a TC doesn't even have to be safe. As long as it is registered as a historic vehicle and not used for regular transportation it's free to roam. It's up to the owner to be safe. Bjorn TC 7773 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

BUD SILVERS

Post by BUD SILVERS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am

Cliff; Your comments are interesting and certainly worthy of note, however as you suggest they have no relevance to me or to my car. I have retained my stock steering and have encouraged others to whom I have sold kits to do the same. In addition to that the steering box used is indeed of the same era as the TC. The same box is used on the VW Beetle from 1946 to the 1977. The ones that I sell with kits are new manufacture, but old design. In any case if one retains the original parts it should not be a problem. I agree with Murray, why would any government interfere with something that improves the safety of the car and replaces a known weakness. If you would like to see a bent TC sector shaft take a look at the following link, then scroll to the bottom of the page: http://www.usaviator.net/automotive/MGTECH/VWsteering.htm How long do you suppose the pictured sector shaft would last before it breaks? Would you like to have it on your car? NOT ME! Lets please not open the VW steering debate again, or at least not on the list. I am sure that everyone is tired of hearing it. If you have comments or disagreements with me then let's have it off list. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... -----Original Message----- From: Clifford Knight [mailto:clifford.f.knight@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 11:12 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion I beg to suggest that it isn't just the OP who would object to this type of conversion. FIVA require that historic cars have original steering, gearbox, engine etc before they grant a certificate. If non original parts or modifications are fitted then they should be of the same period and are noted on the certificate. So what! you may say. Well without a FIVA certificate many countries will not even allow an old car to be imported or used on public roads. Also a FIVA cert is a requirement for European Classic Rallies and most old car events. Thus in my country, Greece, a VW steering or a 5 speed gearbox would have the reverse effect to the one you envisage and the car could NEVER be used on the road and would have to be be relegated to a museum. I personally have no axe to grind regarding mods to our cars but do be aware that if you or any subsequent owner intends to export and use them on public roads in Europe or Asia, do check the local requirements. I have no idea whether FIVA is widely accepted in USA. If you are interested in FIVA see: http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm Enjoy them whilst you can Cliff
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bud Silvers mgtc@usaviator.net> wrote: > > > Good morning all; > > Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some > idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't > think > that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am > interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly > better > alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate > overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is > that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative > transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It > would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. > > To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW > steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering > boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's > out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more > pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative > transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC > transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, > but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and > reliability. > > In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide > to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] > Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM > To: MG T-ABC GROUP > Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion > > Hello all; > > I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At > this point I am asking a few general questions. > > 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion > with success? > > 2. What about gear ratios? > > 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? > > 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? > > 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the > transmission? > > 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? > > I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, > but would like to still make a small profit. > > Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would > offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. > > How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? > > The adventure continues.... > > Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have > any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I > need it yesterday! > > Thanks! > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links

Sally Carroll

5 speed conversion

Post by Sally Carroll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Dear Bud and others: The conversion machined and available from Skyhook Engineering was offering a TD/TF/Y setup when we obtained ours for the TF. His intention was to also do TC . .and since we are talking about the XPAG engines . . . It was not cheap but beautifully executed with very good installation instructions complete with Transmission cover, drive shaft, clutch and pressure plate, shift lever, mountings and speedo cable. . all pertinent nuts bolts and dust boot. .and bushings and Pilot tool.. and drawings. We have to be careful to NOT use 1st on take off if on gravel surface. .it spits . .It comes crated and the return of the special crate came with a rebate against total cost.. There are others doing the job, (Steve used Datsun 210 tranny . .there are Ford and VW versions out there) but without my number 1 mechanic. .I'm not in the market for big installations.) Steve Neal NEMGTR #10943 Skyhook engineering 1024 Mere Point Rd. Brunswick ME 04011 1-207-729-4489 Daytime normal business hours! Sally Carroll, Russell Ohio TC 6466 TF 7227 YB 0610 MGA 70355 MGBGT 246221 Morris Pickup 80622 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Clifford Knight

Post by Clifford Knight » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:59 pm

You miss the point completely Murray. FIVA is a body set up by old car clubs around the WORLD to PROTECT users of old cars from interference by governments by ensuring legislation DOES NOT prevent their use. If you wish to make your MG conform to current legislation you can - headlights at correct height, emisions that meet the CO requirements etc - impact integrity - but you are then on your own and it would no longer be a historic vehicle. FIVA is there to ensure we can use our historic cars as they were intended. Cliff
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Murray Arundell arundell@ghs.com.au>wrote: > Another reason NOT to live in Europe. I don't know why you people put up > with such interference by government in something they've no right to be > involved in. So long as the car is safe and passes safety regulations it's > no one's business what steering, gearbox etc it has. Next they'll be telling > you it can't be painted in two pack paint and dictate what colour it must > be!!!!! > > Murray Arundell > Glad to be in Aus > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On 23/03/2010, at 3:12, Clifford Knight clifford.f.knight@gmail.com> > wrote: > > I beg to suggest that it isn't just the OP who would object to this type >> of >> conversion. FIVA require that historic cars have original steering, >> gearbox, >> engine etc before they grant a certificate. If non original parts or >> modifications are fitted then they should be of the same period and are >> noted on the certificate. >> >> So what! you may say. Well without a FIVA certificate many countries will >> not even allow an old car to be imported or used on public roads. Also a >> FIVA cert is a requirement for European Classic Rallies and most old car >> events. Thus in my country, Greece, a VW steering or a 5 speed gearbox >> would >> have the reverse effect to the one you envisage and the car could NEVER be >> used on the road and would have to be be relegated to a museum. >> >> I personally have no axe to grind regarding mods to our cars but do be >> aware >> that if you or any subsequent owner intends to export and use them on >> public >> roads in Europe or Asia, do check the local requirements. I have no idea >> whether FIVA is widely accepted in USA. If you are interested in FIVA see: >> http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm >> >> Enjoy them whilst you can >> Cliff >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bud Silvers mgtc@usaviator.net> wrote: >> >> >>> >>> Good morning all; >>> >>> Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have >>> some >>> idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't >>> think >>> that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I >>> am >>> interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly >>> better >>> alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate >>> overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this >>> is >>> that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An >>> alternative >>> transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. >>> It >>> would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. >>> >>> To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW >>> steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering >>> boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 >>> TC's >>> out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more >>> pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative >>> transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC >>> transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most >>> believe, >>> but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience >>> and >>> reliability. >>> >>> In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I >>> decide >>> to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. >>> >>> Have a great day. >>> >>> Bud Silvers >>> >>> TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... >>> >>> From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] >>> >>> Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM >>> To: MG T-ABC GROUP >>> Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion >>> >>> Hello all; >>> >>> I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. >>> At >>> this point I am asking a few general questions. >>> >>> 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion >>> with success? >>> >>> 2. What about gear ratios? >>> >>> 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? >>> >>> 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? >>> >>> 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the >>> transmission? >>> >>> 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? >>> >>> I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss >>> does, >>> but would like to still make a small profit. >>> >>> Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would >>> offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. >>> >>> How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? >>> >>> The adventure continues.... >>> >>> Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone >>> have >>> any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I >>> need it yesterday! >>> >>> Thanks! >>> >>> Have a great day. >>> >>> Bud Silvers >>> >>> TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... >>> >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >>> >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

murray arundell

Post by murray arundell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm

To the contrary I understand the point very well. The FIVA is more interested in the elite end of the classic car world. Frankly its been my experience with the FIVA that all they are not interested in keeping affordable classic cars on the road. Instead they are more focused towards the millionaire classic car rally/race brigade. There is a very strong case for keeping competing cars in Classic Competition original or at least "of the period" but there is no case whatsover for penalising the owner of say a TC who has fitted a VW/ Datsun steering box to a car that is going to be used only for touring and not competition. By mandating that a car must be 100% original to be used on the roads will only force classic cars, particularly those at the lower end of the economic scale value wise off the road. Say you've found a barn find TC minus a gearbox, what are you going to do? TC boxes are not exactly thin on the ground and when they can be found they are very expensive. So do we simply scrap the car? This is where CAMS and FIVA have lost sight of the very reason for their existence. Their charter should be to protect, preserve and promote classic car use. Not to legislate it out of existence by forcing cars off the road for want of a simple gearbox change. Changing a gearbox and/or steering does not make a car "modern". It simply makes it useable. Murray Arundell Brisbane, Aus
On 23/03/2010, at 5:59 AM, Clifford Knight wrote: > You miss the point completely Murray. FIVA is a body set up by old > car clubs around the WORLD to PROTECT users of old cars from > interference by governments by ensuring legislation DOES NOT prevent > their use. If you wish to make your MG conform to current > legislation you can - headlights at correct height, emisions that > meet the CO requirements etc - impact integrity - but you are then > on your own and it would no longer be a historic vehicle. FIVA is > there to ensure we can use our historic cars as they were intended. > Cliff > > > > > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Murray Arundell > arundell@ghs.com.au> wrote: > Another reason NOT to live in Europe. I don't know why you people > put up with such interference by government in something they've no > right to be involved in. So long as the car is safe and passes > safety regulations it's no one's business what steering, gearbox etc > it has. Next they'll be telling you it can't be painted in two pack > paint and dictate what colour it must be!!!!! > > Murray Arundell > Glad to be in Aus > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On 23/03/2010, at 3:12, Clifford Knight > clifford.f.knight@gmail.com> wrote: > > I beg to suggest that it isn't just the OP who would object to this > type of > conversion. FIVA require that historic cars have original steering, > gearbox, > engine etc before they grant a certificate. If non original parts or > modifications are fitted then they should be of the same period and > are > noted on the certificate. > > So what! you may say. Well without a FIVA certificate many countries > will > not even allow an old car to be imported or used on public roads. > Also a > FIVA cert is a requirement for European Classic Rallies and most old > car > events. Thus in my country, Greece, a VW steering or a 5 speed > gearbox would > have the reverse effect to the one you envisage and the car could > NEVER be > used on the road and would have to be be relegated to a museum. > > I personally have no axe to grind regarding mods to our cars but do > be aware > that if you or any subsequent owner intends to export and use them > on public > roads in Europe or Asia, do check the local requirements. I have no > idea > whether FIVA is widely accepted in USA. If you are interested in > FIVA see: > http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm > > Enjoy them whilst you can > Cliff > > > > > > > > > > > > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bud Silvers mgtc@usaviator.net> > wrote: > > > > Good morning all; > > Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now > have some > idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't > think > that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. > What I am > interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly > better > alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a > separate > overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to > this is > that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An > alternative > transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing > problem. It > would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. > > To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the > 30 VW > steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam > steering > boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are > 30 TC's > out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and > more > pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for > alternative > transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC > transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most > believe, > but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the > experience and > reliability. > > In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I > decide > to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] > > Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM > To: MG T-ABC GROUP > Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion > > Hello all; > > I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the > TC. At > this point I am asking a few general questions. > > 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion > with success? > > 2. What about gear ratios? > > 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? > > 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? > > 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the > transmission? > > 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? > > I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss > does, > but would like to still make a small profit. > > Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I > would > offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. > > How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? > > The adventure continues.... > > Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does > anyone have > any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would > sell? I > need it yesterday! > > Thanks! > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

anngene@bellsouth.net

Post by anngene@bellsouth.net » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Murray wrote: "Changing a gearbox and/or steering does not make a car "modern". It simply makes it useable." Well said, Murray...a dagger straight to the heart of the matter. Gene Gillam Saucier, MS [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Peter Lund

Post by Peter Lund » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:27 pm

I know for the Derby Bentley there is a conversion that bolts on and off. Goes on a new prop shaft as overdrive without replacing transmission. It is mounted on a new crossmember that fits in place to hold the unit. Pricey! Easy to change back to original. Actually gives 8 speeds instead of Four! Probably no room for this on the MG!
--- On Mon, 3/22/10, Clive Sherriff clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com> wrote: From: Clive Sherriff clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com> Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion To: "'Bud Silvers'" mgtc@usaviator.net>, "'MG T-ABC GROUP'" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Date: Monday, March 22, 2010, 10:36 AM Bud, You have seen the light....... That's a much better approach ! Clive ============ ========= ====== ----- Original Message ----- From: Bud Silvers To: 'Bud Silvers' ; 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 3:41 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator. net] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator. net ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues... . Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bjorn Klingenberg

Post by Bjorn Klingenberg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Ad one more and get 16. Bjorn
----- Original Message ----- From: Peter Lund To: 'Bud Silvers' ; 'MG T-ABC GROUP' ; Clive Sherriff Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 6:21 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion I know for the Derby Bentley there is a conversion that bolts on and off. Goes on a new prop shaft as overdrive without replacing transmission. It is mounted on a new crossmember that fits in place to hold the unit. Pricey! Easy to change back to original. Actually gives 8 speeds instead of Four! Probably no room for this on the MG! --- On Mon, 3/22/10, Clive Sherriff clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com> wrote: From: Clive Sherriff clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com> Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion To: "'Bud Silvers'" mgtc@usaviator.net>, "'MG T-ABC GROUP'" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Date: Monday, March 22, 2010, 10:36 AM Bud, You have seen the light....... That's a much better approach ! Clive ============ ========= ====== ----- Original Message ----- From: Bud Silvers To: 'Bud Silvers' ; 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 3:41 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator. net] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator. net ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues... . Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado.... .. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Carl Fritz

Post by Carl Fritz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Count me OUT of the damnable "nanny-state attitudes" that seem to be proliferating like the plague !!! I don't need or want either some government bureau or elitist club drafting rules/regulations/laws dictating what my car can or cannot have. KEEP your camel's nose to Hell out of my tent!! FIVA has lost it way in search of utopia, and is now one of the EU's handmaidens!! Regards, CarlGainesville, Florida To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com From: bklingenberg@verizon.net Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:57:11 -0700 Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Murray and others, Interesting comment about inspections and safety in Australia versus Europe. In the land of the free a TC doesn't even have to be safe. As long as it is registered as a historic vehicle and not used for regular transportation it's free to roam. It's up to the owner to be safe. Bjorn TC 7773 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] _________________________________________________________________ Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID27925::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:032010_2 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]