(no subject)

DSN_KLR650
achesley43@ymail.com

redoing the starter circuit

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

Well , many years ago, I bypassed the clutch switch and side stand switch on my A14. Only downfall on this was having to be in neutral to start the bike. Sometimes this did cause minor problems when stalling the engine as unique times. ;-)   So, had to replace the brake light switch on the handlebars a few weeks back and decided to fix this problem. Studied the circuit and decide to run a by-pass wire from frome the hot wire coming from the handlebar switch where it connects at all the connections under the speedo/tach assembly. And, connect that wire to the input at the finale starter relay down there over the starter.  What I use was just those tap in connections that you just squeeze on over the present wire with the new wire attached. Worked out perfect for what I wanted to do.  But, of course, it will start in gear or try to. Have not really tried to but doubt if the starter system has enough power to spin the engine fast enough to roll the bike in 1st gear and start the engine. But, neat that now  I can just pull the clutch in and start it in gear as can with all the safety switches in place and operating.  Hope all have a great day! 

Mark Harfenist

Post by Mark Harfenist » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Quote:  .....doubt if the starter system has enough power to spin the engine fast enough to roll the bike in 1st gear and start the engine....Unquote
Well now, finally a subject in which I have a degree of expertise. In fact, the KLR starter will indeed roll the bike fast enough to start it, even on a slight uphill. I know this because I had the misfortune to bust a clutch cable on a high (15,000ft+), long (300 miles+), lonely (I saw a couple of cars and one motorbike all day) gravel road through the Bolivian Altiplano. Worse, it was my spare cable which broke, meaning I could not stop for any reason unless on a hill or in the presence of another person who could help push start my fully-loaded bike. And I had a a long ways to go through the Andes to the next town. Sounds like the beginning of a pretty good story, right? 
Unfortunately I'm not much of a storyteller. It worked out fine for several hours. I came to the Argentina border station, sadly located at the very lowest point between two mountains, and had to wheedle a bit to get the uniformed guards to push me uphill until I could jam it into gear and fire it up without stalling. They found this uproariously funny. Things went fine for another hour or two, although it did begin to get dark. Not to mention cold.
I didn't really know where the next town would be. I figured I might run out of fuel, but I had a full gas can with me. I decided that when the bike sputtered I'd reach down and hit reserve, then look for a nice hill to park on while I added gas from my can--a solid, foolproof plan. The bike sputtered at the bottom of a valley between two hills. I shifted the lever to reserve....and the bike kept sputtering, then died. It's never happened before or since, but there was no gas at all in reserve. I still don't know why: maybe something to do with all that jostling around? 
So I poured my fuel, climbed back on, jammed it into first, and hit the starter. The bike lurched forward, almost pitching me off, then started up and lurched again when I gave it way too much throttle. I managed to hang on, ran through the gears, rode another hour and arrived in a forlorn little town well after dark. 
The next morning I found a shade tree mechanic, and he took the ends from my broken cable and brazed them onto a used cable he salvaged from someplace out back. For the rest of the trip--another 30 or 40,000 miles--I carried TWO spare clutch cables. That KLR is still rattling around my home town just a couple of hundred miles short of 100k--the guy I sold it to admits it needs some work, but he figures it was a bargain for the $100 he paid me for it. 
Hope everyone's finding their way through heat, dust, monsoons, firestorms, floods, and whatever else is happening this summer!
Mark 

SniperOne308

Post by SniperOne308 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks for the interesting story Mark. Randy  Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "Mark Harfenist markharf@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 8/17/18 10:36 PM (GMT-07:00) To: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Redoing the Starter circuit   Quote:  .....doubt if the starter system has enough power to spin the engine fast enough to roll the bike in 1st gear and start the engine....Unquote Well now, finally a subject in which I have a degree of expertise. In fact, the KLR starter will indeed roll the bike fast enough to start it, even on a slight uphill. I know this because I had the misfortune to bust a clutch cable on a high (15,000ft+), long (300 miles+), lonely (I saw a couple of cars and one motorbike all day) gravel road through the Bolivian Altiplano. Worse, it was my spare cable which broke, meaning I could not stop for any reason unless on a hill or in the presence of another person who could help push start my fully-loaded bike. And I had a a long ways to go through the Andes to the next town. Sounds like the beginning of a pretty good story, right?  Unfortunately I'm not much of a storyteller. It worked out fine for several hours. I came to the Argentina border station, sadly located at the very lowest point between two mountains, and had to wheedle a bit to get the uniformed guards to push me uphill until I could jam it into gear and fire it up without stalling. They found this uproariously funny. Things went fine for another hour or two, although it did begin to get dark. Not to mention cold. I didn't really know where the next town would be. I figured I might run out of fuel, but I had a full gas can with me. I decided that when the bike sputtered I'd reach down and hit reserve, then look for a nice hill to park on while I added gas from my can--a solid, foolproof plan. The bike sputtered at the bottom of a valley between two hills. I shifted the lever to reserve....and the bike kept sputtering, then died. It's never happened before or since, but there was no gas at all in reserve. I still don't know why: maybe something to do with all that jostling around?  So I poured my fuel, climbed back on, jammed it into first, and hit the starter. The bike lurched forward, almost pitching me off, then started up and lurched again when I gave it way too much throttle. I managed to hang on, ran through the gears, rode another hour and arrived in a forlorn little town well after dark.  The next morning I found a shade tree mechanic, and he took the ends from my broken cable and brazed them onto a used cable he salvaged from someplace out back. For the rest of the trip--another 30 or 40,000 miles--I carried TWO spare clutch cables. That KLR is still rattling around my home town just a couple of hundred miles short of 100k--the guy I sold it to admits it needs some work, but he figures it was a bargain for the $100 he paid me for it.  Hope everyone's finding their way through heat, dust, monsoons, firestorms, floods, and whatever else is happening this summer! Mark  Posted by: Mark Harfenist Reply via web post markharf@...?subject=Re%3A%20Redoing%20the%20Starter%20circuit DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Redoing%20the%20Starter%20circuit Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2) [img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F% ... N2zTpg--~E[/img] Have you tried the highest rated email app? With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage. SPONSORED LINKS

Mark Oldar

Post by Mark Oldar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:59 am

Great story...and a lesson learned [i]Sent from my LG X venture, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone[/i] ------ Original message------ [b]From: [/b]Mark Harfenist markharf@... [DSN_KLR650] [b]Date: [/b]Fri, Aug 17, 2018 9:36 PM [b]To: [/b]dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com; [b]Cc: [/b] [b]Subject:[/b][DSN_KLR650] Re: Redoing the Starter circuit   Quote:  .....doubt if the starter system has enough power to spin the engine fast enough to roll the bike in 1st gear and start the engine....Unquote Well now, finally a subject in which I have a degree of expertise. In fact, the KLR starter will indeed roll the bike fast enough to start it, even on a slight uphill. I know this because I had the misfortune to bust a clutch cable on a high (15,000ft+), long (300 miles+), lonely (I saw a couple of cars and one motorbike all day) gravel road through the Bolivian Altiplano. Worse, it was my spare cable which broke, meaning I could not stop for any reason unless on a hill or in the presence of another person who could help push start my fully-loaded bike. And I had a a long ways to go through the Andes to the next town. Sounds like the beginning of a pretty good story, right?  Unfortunately I'm not much of a storyteller. It worked out fine for several hours. I came to the Argentina border station, sadly located at the very lowest point between two mountains, and had to wheedle a bit to get the uniformed guards to push me uphill until I could jam it into gear and fire it up without stalling. They found this uproariously funny. Things went fine for another hour or two, although it did begin to get dark. Not to mention cold. I didn't really know where the next town would be. I figured I might run out of fuel, but I had a full gas can with me. I decided that when the bike sputtered I'd reach down and hit reserve, then look for a nice hill to park on while I added gas from my can--a solid, foolproof plan. The bike sputtered at the bottom of a valley between two hills. I shifted the lever to reserve....and the bike kept sputtering, then died. It's never happened before or since, but there was no gas at all in reserve. I still don't know why: maybe something to do with all that jostling around?  So I poured my fuel, climbed back on, jammed it into first, and hit the starter. The bike lurched forward, almost pitching me off, then started up and lurched again when I gave it way too much throttle. I managed to hang on, ran through the gears, rode another hour and arrived in a forlorn little town well after dark.  The next morning I found a shade tree mechanic, and he took the ends from my broken cable and brazed them onto a used cable he salvaged from someplace out back. For the rest of the trip--another 30 or 40,000 miles--I carried TWO spare clutch cables. That KLR is still rattling around my home town just a couple of hundred miles short of 100k--the guy I sold it to admits it needs some work, but he figures it was a bargain for the $100 he paid me for it.  Hope everyone's finding their way through heat, dust, monsoons, firestorms, floods, and whatever else is happening this summer! Mark 

Clayton WIlson

(no subject)

Post by Clayton WIlson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 pm

stop

Nicholas Ranicar

Post by Nicholas Ranicar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 pm

What a great story. Thanks for sharing Mark.

wingerr

Post by wingerr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Hey, I think your claims of poor storytelling skills is exaggerated - you do quite well enough in that department :)