hard to start - non klr

DSN_KLR650
Jud

(no subject)

Post by Jud » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Check your kill switch. Check your starter solenoid, both the 10 Ga. connections to battery and starter, but also the white nylon plug for the trigger circuit. (My next best guess is that plug got dislodged.) Check the battery connections and ground as well as the starter ground. If that does not cure it, go back to the wiring on the RH grip, kill switch and starter button, looking for someplace that wiring could have disconnected or pinched during the work with the handlebars.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Tom Tyler wrote: > > zippy tom, I have a 1995 klr650, my buddy said i need to be more detailed in my post, my bike will not turn over no noise to the starter, all light work, horn, but no cranking, have tried what you guys told me, but no work. what should i do next, thanks again group. tom > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Rodney Enriquez

(no subject)

Post by Rodney Enriquez » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 am

http://altrawarenessapparel.com/wp-content/plugins/lifenews.php?worse270.bmp [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

eddie mauri

(no subject)

Post by eddie mauri » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Okay, this is not an oil or chain lube thread, it is a gasoline thread........ for the last two weeks here in San Antonio, it's either been too cold or raining so I have not been riding. Today the weather is perfect, and I went out for a ride.
I added Seafoam to my empty gas tank, and then when I went to fill the bike, I inadvertently filled it with Chevron Techtron Supreme gasoline (93 octane) - I normally use Chevron Techtron regular gas (87 octane). Maybe it's the Seafoam, or the Supreme gas, but the bike really does seem to run better on Supreme. 
I'm wondering what grade of fuel most of y'all use?
Now I'm thinking, I might add a couple of shots of Jameson to the gas tank and see what that does...
Eddie

Martin Earl

(no subject)

Post by Martin Earl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Ross Lindberg tribute to Ron Criswell:

Part 5-

I miss Ron very much. Not a day goes by that I don t think of him and

reach for my phone to either give him a call or send him yet another

funny photo before remembering that he is not there. But I take great

comfort in the promise of the Bible which states To be absent from the

body is to be present with the Lord. It is a wonderful assurance from

our Lord and Savior that we are never alone and are cared for not only

in this life, but for all eternity.

The gift of our friendship seemed to be much too short. There were so

many things we wanted to do together that will be postponed for the

time being, but soon we will have all of eternity together to retell the

stories and have new adventures together.

For now I will have to be content with the knowledge that I got to know

Ron and call him my friend. His kindness and character have made a

lasting impression on me and I am blessed to have had the opportunity

to know him.

Ross Lindberg

Gravevine, TX

13 Jan 2018 end/finish, Lindberg's Criswell tribute

Martin Earl

hard to start - non klr

Post by Martin Earl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi Harry/Buddy,I suppose, it depends on how you define, 'is'. cough. and the size and location of a dent/damage. I should have been more clear about the dent/damage. I received a sealed battery shipment in the mail that was (reported to be) pre serviced, and charged. (the other battery was no damage and 4.0 for operation)Opening the box, it appeared to have been dropped hard on its lower corner, crushing its thin, protective Styrofoam liner, deflecting the battery corner some 1/2+ inch but without breaking the case...how does that happen?!?!?!?! without breaking the plastic?!?!? I don't recall if there was any charge on the dented battery...but I did attempt to charge it (as I do with all new-2-me batteries)The 'smarter charger' light sequence indicated that the battery was defective. = will not accept a charge.The Indiana supplier/service suggested the damaged case pressed the plates together, shorting out the batteryPerhaps my conclusion of the plates touching each other is faulty, but for sure, the battery condition = bad.The supplier concurred and sent me another battery. What is known in 'battery science' that in the process of battery charging and discharge, a certain amount of 'waste particulate' is generated from the lead plates and this particulate falls into the bottom/void of the battery case.Over time, that void begins to fill up, and when the 'particulate' is high enough, it will bridge between the plates, essentially, short out the plates.so,I concluded, the plates in battery cell on the damage corner were 'bridged'. so,a dented battery could have bridged a cell. For certain, if a battery is left unattended, and it discharges, = acid converts back to water, it will freeze and THAT will make a real mess. A long time ago, you could actually tell which cell was bad on a lead acid battery as there were little nubs on the outside of the case that would allow the tec-k to read the voltage of each cell with a device that looked like a meat fork and a volt meter. Largely, that was 6v technology that ended in the late 50's and early 60's, if not sooner. Never understood why you would test for a bad cell on a conventional, enclosed lead acid battery...I don't think there was much that you could do about when it was finally deemed bad. shrug. A point of trivia, On modern Ni-cad aircraft batteries, such as one used to start a Beechcraft King Air, you can actually replace an individual cell of a 24v system. HTH.maaatin. [img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif&t=1571810759&sig=J.TKQ9EkpQOTQvHovXEBzQ--~E[/img] Virus-free. www.avast.com
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Harry Seifert wrote: OK, just how do you know that a dented battery will short out the plates? Inquiring minds want to know. Buddy On Aug 16, 2018, at 11:17 AM, Martin Earl mjearl4@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Thanks Fred for a great reply. As far as a "new battery"Even a new battery can 'fail' or be defective as new. Rare. but it happens.Make sure the outer case of the battery is not damaged or dented...a dented battery can push plates together and then will not operate properly. AMHIK.and just because it fits in the hole, does not mean it is the correct battery. Additionally to Fred's suggestions, the shop manual should show you how to electrically trouble shoot the amps/ohms flowing and resisting within the starter; even new starters can be bad. I have had that happen (on a car) as well.m On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM, david zawadzki fordavidz@... [ DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Thanks Fred. Will do. The battery is brand new so i will check the connections. I'll check back once I do. Any other ideas while I'm at it? David On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Fred Hink moabmc@... [DSN_ KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u]Valve clearance or lack of should have no effect on the speed a starter turns over the engine. Ignition timing is usually set on most bikes with electronic ignition and is not adjustable. So this too should have no effect on starter speed. A loose or dirty connection will have an effect on starter speeds. Clean and tighten all your electrical connections between the battery and starter. This would include both the positive and negative sides of the battery, both terminals of the starter solenoid and your ground cable. I have seen new batteries fail, so be sure this battery is charged up to specs and operating properly before discounting the battery. Also if you got a rebuilt starter, they could also be at fault new out of the box. Has the bike sat for an appreciable length of time? Any chance of corrosion on the inside causing a drag on the starter? Check your voltage at the battery and then check the voltage at the starter once it is cranking. The voltage should be very similar. Good luck, Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: david zawadzki fordavidz@... [ DSN_KLR650] Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:34 AM To: KLR Group Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Hard to Start - NON KLR

If a bike has a new battery and a new starter but barely cranks over/ difficult for the bike to turn over would you suspect loose/tight valves? It does not want to start. What are symptoms of the timing not being properly set? Thanks guys- '96 DR350 electric start David [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
-- David Zmobile: 646-267-1109poisonpartyband.com