hard to start - non klr

DSN_KLR650
Mark Harfenist

(no subject)

Post by Mark Harfenist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:20 pm

I replaced my VStrom signals with Buell parts. The OEM signal stalks broke when looked at sideways, but the Buell replacements were cheap, in stock, and far more durable. I imagine the same would work well with the KLR. Have a visit to your local friendly Harley dealership: they must be hurting for business lately. Hope that helps. Mark [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

tim osullivan

(no subject)

Post by tim osullivan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:55 pm

having a problem with back-firing on a 2006 klr 650 only have 1400 miles on it ?????

Mark Harfenist

(no subject)

Post by Mark Harfenist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:19 pm

camping stoves: I favor white gas/multifuel stoves for all the usual reasons. I've used MSR's for decades--since the first Whisperlight came to market.  But at the moment I'm carrying a wee little isobutane stove: folds to about the size of.....well, of a folded burner, of.....ok, folds to let's say about the size of a router bit.  I can carry it on an airplane (some airlines confiscate used white gas stoves, even when completely empty and you're not carrying fuel).  I can buy a cannister of gas anywhere I go in South America,  then give it away when I'm done camping for a while, and buy another one when the time comes....just as I do with loaves of bread, banannas and roasted almonds.  They light instantly, simmer well, and don't need jets cleaned or make pots all sooty.  Etc. A couple of weeks ago I used a single little cannister on a five day backpacking trip---breakfast coffee, wash water, hot dinners and tea.  That's not bad, for something the size of a router bit. Of course, I'm morally opposed to using throwaway cannisters, which can't be recycled....but I figure I've earned the right to practice a certain degree of hypocrisy once in a while. Hope that helps. Mark

Greg Jewell

(no subject)

Post by Greg Jewell » Sat May 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks I'll give that a try! Metalmanic AKA Greg the leg

Mark Gray

(no subject)

Post by Mark Gray » Sun May 23, 2010 1:32 pm

http://www.google.com/reader/item/tag:google.com,2005:reader/item/ce413efe71f39aef Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail - Free. http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/d ... /' now.

Mike Greene

(no subject)

Post by Mike Greene » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:33 am

Mike Greene - CentriNet Corp. m 904.657.1080 iPad + Citrix = Business

Fred

(no subject)

Post by Fred » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:59 pm

My 05 KLR has always overcharged its batteries. After a 1000km (600mi) trip, with the original the water level would go from slightly above the "full" line to just below the top of the plates. My nearest Kawi dealer ripped me off the only time I went there, so I haven't been back and never bothered going thru the hassle of making a warranty claim. I had to buy a battery on a Saturday night before a trip that was planned for the following day, and found a sealed battery at K-Mart that was the right one for the KLR. Of course, I haven't been able to top up the water level in that, and now it's dead too. I measured the voltage of the battery with the engine running: 15.5V. This is WAY too high. I looked at the spec. in the KLR600 Service Manual (Base section p 14-7), and it says it should run at 15V. (See pic @  http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... gVolts.gif ). This is WAY too high !!! If you type "automotive battery charging" into your favourite search engine, you will soon find statements like "The charging system provides essentially a fixed voltage of typically 13.8 to 14.4V, unless the alternator is at its current-limit" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_battery). One possible reason for a high charging voltage is a voltage drop between the battery positive terminal and the voltage sensing wire that goes into the regulator. In the KLR's case, this is the brown wire (BR): ( See Charging Circuit pic (manual p14-6) at http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... gCct01.gif ) This wire is disconnected when the ignition is switched off, so that it will not drain the battery when the bike is not in use. However, if there is any voltage drop between the battery "+" and the regulator, eg due to resitance in the wiring and dirty contacts in the ignition switch, the regulator will see a lower voltage than is actually at the battery, and it will increase the charging voltage to compensate. If this is happening, you can cut the brown wire and wire in a relay that connects the positive lead of the battery directly to the sensor input of the regulator when the ignition switch end of the brown wire is activated. I measured the voltage drop on the KLR, and to my surprise found it was less thatn 0.1V, so this is not the source of my overcharging problem. Where can I get a regulator that charges at around 14.0V, or how can I modify the existing one to do so? [I searched the DSN_KLR650 archive for "overcharging" and found just 2 references to similar problems "charging system, wiring & Electrex results, theory & reality"  --  Jim Hyman, 2 Apr 2001, and "Battery or rectifier?"   -- dcorym, 16 Jun 2003 ... but no followup posts. ]  - Rick -

Mike Atkinson

(no subject)

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Bob K

(no subject)

Post by Bob K » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:04 am

rodejar@yahoo.com

(no subject)

Post by rodejar@yahoo.com » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:03 pm