jumper starting wire

DSN_KLR650
achesley43@ymail.com

the a14 crossed 50k miles finally

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 am

Well, my old KLR I bought in Dec '99 still lives and is still used a several times a month now days. Course the Bandit 1250S with 89K miles sits a lot also in hot weather.  Often wonder how many miles the KLR may of had if it was my only bike instead of always sharing the garage with one to three other bikes.  KLR with new tires and tubes and handle bar set up is still fun to explore the roads less traveled here in SW Louisiana. And, it's seen many vehicles leave here and it remains. '97 R11R, '02 R1150GS, '07 DL1000, DRZ400SE, DR650SE, 90 GMC truck, 98 Buick Century, 01 GMC truck.  Now shares garage with '07 Suzuki Bandit, '03 Chevy truck, '03 Corvette Coupe.  Have watched this list go from over 2000 posts a month to none at times. Still check it at least once a week to see if anything to add. Still remember fondly of meeting people on this list from my travel times about the USA.  My Long Travel days were cut short due to accident avoiding a deer 6 years back but still able to do a few hours a ride before having to get off the bike or out of the  truck or car.  Wanted mainly to say HI to all still checking this forum. 

Randy Jackson

Post by Randy Jackson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Glad you're still riding. I've enjoyed your posts over the years. I just finished bringing up the last of my projects, from Austin to Oregon. We loaded the trailer in 105 degree heat. I can truly say I will never miss that part of TX. Riding is spotty 8 mos of the year up here, but it is fantastic for 4 mos. I'm 10 mi SE of IH-5 & Cottage Grove, in the foothills of the Cascades, sort of in the middle of western OR. Pavement ends about 3mi past my place, BLM roads over the mountain after that. If you ever get up this way, let's go ride.
On 6/19/2018 3:26 AM, achesley43@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Well, my old KLR I bought in Dec '99 still lives and is still used a several times a month now days. Course the Bandit 1250S with 89K miles sits a lot also in hot weather. Often wonder how many miles the KLR may of had if it was my only bike instead of always sharing the garage with one to three other bikes. KLR with new tires and tubes and handle bar set up is still fun to explore the roads less traveled here in SW Louisiana. And, it's seen many vehicles leave here and it remains. '97 R11R, '02 R1150GS, '07 DL1000, DRZ400SE, DR650SE, 90 GMC truck, 98 Buick Century, 01 GMC truck. Now shares garage with '07 Suzuki Bandit, '03 Chevy truck, '03 Corvette Coupe. Have watched this list go from over 2000 posts a month to none at times. Still check it at least once a week to see if anything to add. Still remember fondly of meeting people on this list from my travel times about the USA. My Long Travel days were cut short due to accident avoiding a deer 6 years back but still able to do a few hours a ride before having to get off the bike or out of the truck or car. Wanted mainly to say HI to all still checking this forum.

leroy_cope

Post by leroy_cope » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I still have my 96 going on 49k miles, bought it new in July of 96. It has never been my primary ride. Some other bikes have come and gone, two Gold Wings, a Yamaha Venture, Suzuki M50, Honda Helix, Honda CM400 to name a few, but somehow I always kept the KLR.

ccoppolapolnet

Post by ccoppolapolnet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Keep on keepin' on!
My KLR ('07) is not my first ride, but it sure is if there is rain or snow on the ground. I'm set up with hard cases to go long distance, but all they seem to carry is groceries on the way home.
Just got back from a trip to Blue Ridge Parkway, son wanted to take sportbikes, so my butt is still hurting! Next time I get to pick the bikes and we are going on KLRs!

flipo37129

Post by flipo37129 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Have done many 500 mile days on a KLR , !! But on my CBR also , but it's setup for the road !!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Tablet

On Jul 29, 2018 4:27 PM, "cpcoppola@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Keep on keepin' on! My KLR ('07) is not my first ride, but it sure is if there is rain or snow on the ground. I'm set up with hard cases to go long distance, but all they seem to carry is groceries on the way home. Just got back from a trip to Blue Ridge Parkway, son wanted to take sportbikes, so my butt is still hurting! Next time I get to pick the bikes and we are going on KLRs!

klrbugeater

Post by klrbugeater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi Group,
Re: Motorcycle Butt
I ride with AeroStitch AD1 riding pants, zip off synthetic pants, and Russel brand spandex wicking boxer brief underclothing.
My stock KLR seat gets me about 5 hours of riding and that's pushing it, with what I wear above. 
My addition of the long hair Alaska Leather sheepskin will and 1 more hour of riding on top of the stock seat and adds a nice stinky soft pillow at night in my tent.
Does anyone have any experience with a wooden beaded seat and how many hour it could add to riding?
I don't but have heard it said that all the NYC Taxi drivers can't be wrong with their wooden beaded seats and added cooler air circulation, so?
I don't have experience with gel seats either but someone said it's like sitting on a thick steak.
Even if I stop at 4-5 hours, it would be nice to have overall less butt soreness.
KLR Bugeater

leroy_cope

Post by leroy_cope » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:33 pm

I have a Corbin seat, have had it on my 96 since it was new, thats over 20 years now, I can ride all day with no problem.

chris kelly

Post by chris kelly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 pm

airhawk has best seat cushion and it can be used under your sheepskin, not just my opinion but from a test the Motorcycle Consumer News ran

achesley43@ymail.com

jumper starting wire

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:34 am

Had the brake light switch finally go out on the front so decided to tackle an old issue since I had bypassed the sidestand and clutch switches many years back. Problem was if I would bog the engine going though stuff, I had to get the bike back to neutral to start it.  So, decided on a by-pass wire from the starter button output to the main solenoid for the starter. Didn't remove the factory set up going to this and that in the circuit from the starter switch to the Solenoid but more just done a tap into them.  Worked perfect! But, it will turn the engine over in gear now. Kinda like the old cars I grew up with before the safety peeps took all the fun out of driving.  Did get the new brake light switch in and installed and works great as did before.  Andrus in Jennings La.  

Kenneth Walls

Post by Kenneth Walls » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I have a Sargent seat on my ’08 and could honestly ride unlimited hours in terms of butt comfort. It was on the bike when I bought it, changed it out to the stock thinking I’d sell the Sargent but quickly learned my limit with the stock was about 3-4 hours max, with discomfort at the end.