klr 650 pinhole tank holes from rust

DSN_KLR650
Greg McKinney

klr 650 pinhole tank holes from rust

Post by Greg McKinney » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:21 pm

I picked up a used tank for my Gen 1 on FaceBook, KLR 650 Shop & Swap (Strictly for buying and selling), shipped for $40.GregM  

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Monday, May 28, 2018 8:09 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com; david zawadzki [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 pinhole tank holes from rust

Trying to patch up something that has already been patched up doesn t sound like a good way to go.  Why not start with a used tank that is not leaking?  They can be had for as little as $50 on eBay.  Your tank prep and coating will cost you more than that.

Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com

[b]From:[/b] david zawadzki fordavidz@... [DSN_KLR650]

[b]Sent:[/b] Monday, May 28, 2018 6:56 AM

[b]To:[/b] mike21b@...

[b]Cc:[/b] KLR Group

[b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 pinhole tank holes from rust

Thanks for all the replies!

My tank was previously Kreemed and I tried to remove the old layer. Looks like I have to get it sandblasted in order to get the old layer out.

Hopefully they will be gentle and not ruin the tank....

David

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Mike Frey wrote:

I did it with a 1986 Kawasaki ZX1000r (originally my brother's bike). The ZX had a tank design very similar to the KLR - the fuel tap is above the lowest point in the tank. Water droplet build up had created several weeping holes along the lower welded seam. I sanded the area to find the soft spots and was dismayed to find some holes that I could push a pin through. Some spots were so thin that you could push the metal in and out with your finger. I figured that I had little to lose, so I took a nail set punch to create a small crater at each hole, filled the area with JB Weld, pushing it in so that it would "mushroom" out inside the tank. With a POR-15 kit, I then cleaned and sealed the tank from the inside. Two years later, when I traded the 1000 for my new 2004 KLR, it was all working fine. Despite never having much body work experience, I thought my work was pretty good. It took a very close eye to see where I had fixed it. As far as I know, that tank was still good 5+ years later. From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:54 AM To: KLR Group Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR 650 pinhole tank holes from rust

Hello folks, I have a old tank sitting around and it has a 3 tiny pin holes from the inside rust. I bought a PRO 15 kit to clean the rust and seal the tank. Do you think a tank sealer will cover the holes? Maybe I do two layers of the sealer just to be safe? I bet somebody here has to have some experience with some good 'ol rust. Thanks!!! -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com

--

David Z

mobile: 646-267-1109

poisonpartyband.com