this group going away?

DSN_KLR650
Louklr@aol.com

alaska

Post by Louklr@aol.com » Tue Apr 11, 2000 7:32 am

A friend and I are beginning the planning process for a ride to Alaska - probably in summar of 01 rather than this summer. I was wondering if anybody can make recommendations on books about riding to Alaska, internet sites, your own experiences, or whatever. We will be riding from Minnesota, and will both be riding KLR's. Thanks. Lou Minnesota 97 KLR965 82 BMW R100

Steven van Twuyver

alaska

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:48 am

Jonathon writes: The questions, all unfair: Is it reasonable to count on this bike for this trip? What's the realistic life expectancy for a KLR? What should I do to prepare the bike?
>>>>>>>
You might want to read my Alaska trip report done this past August. Things did not go smoothly for me. I suggest that you become a competent mechanic and be comfortable with doing a wide spectrum of repair work. You will need to register if not already done, but you can see pics and the report at: http://www.egroups.com/files/DSN_klr650/AlaskaBits/ A KLR with your mileage should still be good to go. I would do whatever you can as PM and replace anything you can possibly can think of that has the possibility of failing. Do so several months in advance so that you get comfortable with those changes. I did not heed this advice and had a failure 600 miles later due to an aftermarket stator failure. Change tires at the last place you can in the US and arrange for this long in advance. After calling at least 10 dealers in the Seattle area, I was finally able to get the rear tire I wanted, it was $142, for which I normally would have paid about $110. I bought it on a Friday and the first slot the dealer had to install it was Wednesday. Learn how to change your own tires. Luckily, I had help from someone on this list that I had never met previously. Carrying spare tires is a possibility, but in my opinion, puts far too much weight up high. You won't believe how cheap it is to replace a cam chain in controlled conditions as opposed to doing so on the road under adverse conditions. I had lots of nagging little breakdowns all of which were one or two hour problems. I carried lots of tools which are worth their weight many times over. Anything on the way to Alaska is measured in sizes the width of Texas. Towing or trailering your bike to a dealer will probably cost $500 or more. The nearest Kawasaki dealer maybe 500 miles away - maybe further. The dealer generally will not be happy to see you either because they will be too busy with regular clientele. You can be sure what you need will not be in-stock. In Alaska, a budget (dump) motel will cost at least $75, if you can find one. In Canada it will be slightly less. Waiting for parts is an option but costly. Prepare for lots of rain and temperatures lower than you thought possible. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? -svt-

Murray Dochstader

alaska

Post by Murray Dochstader » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:51 am

Bill: I live in British Columbia (near Vancouver). If you are going "dual sport", a KLR is an excellent choice, but most of your trip will be on asphalt (except for road-repair areas), so, unless you have specific "off-road" plans, my advice is to consider more pavement-oriented bikes. The last time I was in Dawson, there were more Gold Wings than any other type of bike! It is a fabulous area, but not remote any more, unless you really try to hit the wilderness, The best part about the drive is the freedom to run at 100 m.p.h. for long stretches without worrying about speed traps. V Strom, Tiger, Beemer come to mind. Murray Dochstader B.C. Canada. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bill

alaska

Post by Bill » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:24 am

Well it's here. We are leaving for Alaska tomorrow to rent bikes and spend 16 days riding them on a 5000 mile circuitous Route From Anchorage down thru the Canadian Rockies, Back up the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, up to the Arctic Circle, then back to Anchorage by way of Denali. Anyone have any sage words of advice (other than avoid confrontations with bears and moose - we already got that one figured out). Also anyone who is interested is welcome to join us. -

Joseph Jones

alaska

Post by Joseph Jones » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:50 pm

Good Luck,Be Safe and ENJOY the ride............. --- Bill wrote:
> Well it's here. > > We are leaving for Alaska tomorrow to rent bikes and > spend 16 days > riding them on a 5000 mile circuitous Route From > Anchorage down thru > the Canadian Rockies, Back up the Alaska Highway to > Fairbanks, up to > the Arctic Circle, then back to Anchorage by way of > Denali. > > Anyone have any sage words of advice (other than > avoid confrontations > with bears and moose - we already got that one > figured out). > > Also anyone who is interested is welcome to join us. > > > - > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris > Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Steve Hersant

alaska

Post by Steve Hersant » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:13 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Bill " wrote:
> Well it's here. > > We are leaving for Alaska tomorrow to rent bikes and spend 16 days > riding them on a 5000 mile circuitous Route From Anchorage down
thru
> the Canadian Rockies, Back up the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, up
to
> the Arctic Circle, then back to Anchorage by way of Denali. > > Anyone have any sage words of advice (other than avoid
confrontations
> with bears and moose - we already got that one figured out). > > Also anyone who is interested is welcome to join us. >
Hi Bill. I'm sure you'll have a memorable trip. I spent 6 summers in thr Yukon and Alaska and would only have one item of advice : make your wet/cold weather gear the first priority. I had times of perfect weather, but also times where it was raining and cold for days. Sometimes it's a bit of both each day. Make sure you can stay warm and dry all day. I never found bugs too bad in the north, but Northern B.C. can be rotten. We may have a hot, dry summer again this year, which will throw any planning off. My summers Up North were the highlight of my life. Good luck ! Steve B.C. Canada

Fred Hink

this group going away?

Post by Fred Hink » Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Brad, we re here for you . Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: botadley@... [DSN_KLR650] Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:32 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: This group going away? I feel this group is better solution to Facebook. I enjoy checking my yahoo mail and seeing posts. I have 09 KLR its been trouble free for 15k miles. One day I might experience problems and look forward to help from this group. Thank you for my 02 cents. Brad from Minnesota [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dale Schedler

alaska

Post by Dale Schedler » Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 am

My son has graciously asked me to join him on a Seattle to Deadhorse, Alaska (and back) trip in August. If you've done this journey, I'd appreciate any "watch out" or advice. Thanks

vegaheim

alaska

Post by vegaheim » Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm

sometimes get cold around the second week in august. just be prepared for the ever change in the weather.