klr front end located in ct. progressive spring set installed

DSN_KLR650
skypilot110

klr front end located in ct. progressive spring set installed

Post by skypilot110 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

hartford.craigslist.org/mpo/d/klr650-front-end-progressive/6570161078.html This is mine from the 2008 that I  blew the top end in.  skypilot@... with questions

david zawadzki

off topic non klr- cleaning out a rusty tank

Post by david zawadzki » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am

Hello Friends, I have a 1970 cb350 thats been sitting for a few years with gas in the tank. I kept trying to keep the gas topped off but it did evaporate and there is some rust in the tank. Have you guys had any experience with cleaning it out? Vinegar salt method vs acid? Do I need to seal the inside afterwards? Also what is the best way to clean the clutch and engine cover? Hope everyone is well. The weather is getting better. Enjoy the ride. -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Wow I d drain everything and see if she starts.   Robert P. Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&CHERS I & HERS IICEPE & CEA RES & NON-RES +1 916 966 9060FAX +1 916 966 9068
On Apr 24, 2018, at 12:08 PM, david zawadzki fordavidz@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Hello Friends, I have a 1970 cb350 thats been sitting for a few years with gas in the tank. I kept trying to keep the gas topped off but it did evaporate and there is some rust in the tank. Have you guys had any experience with cleaning it out? Vinegar salt method vs acid? Do I need to seal the inside afterwards? Also what is the best way to clean the clutch and engine cover?  Hope everyone is well. The weather is getting better. Enjoy the ride.  -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I replied to this from a different computer and for some reason didn t want to go through.  Let s try this again.... What I wrote originally was:   Gas tanks usually have a zinc lining but they will eventually rust  To remove the rust you will remove the zinc lining and then the tank will continue to rust.  The best gas tank treatment I have used is a three part chemical process called Kreem.  It is an acid solution to remove the rust and etch the metal, an acid neutralizer and then a plastic liner to keep the tank from rusting again.  http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html>  

Most engine covers have a clear covering to keep the aluminum from tarnishing so fast.  If you remove this  cover, your aluminum will need to be polished and waxed to help prevent this oxidation.  Most likely if your cases are dull looking it is this covering that needs to be treated.  You might try a polishing wheel to see if you can get it to look better.

Fred

www.arrowheadmotorsports.com

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com
">david zawadzki fordavidz@... [DSN_KLR650] [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:08 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com">KLR Group [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Off Topic NON KLR- Cleaning out a rusty tank    

Hello Friends,   I have a 1970 cb350 thats been sitting for a few years with gas in the tank. I kept trying to keep the gas topped off but it did evaporate and there is some rust in the tank. Have you guys had any experience with cleaning it out? Vinegar salt method vs acid? Do I need to seal the inside afterwards?   Also what is the best way to clean the clutch and engine cover?   Hope everyone is well. The weather is getting better. Enjoy the ride.    -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com