hard enduro pro-class video

DSN_KLR650
Mike Frey

hard enduro pro-class video

Post by Mike Frey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 am

The video reminds me of my Enduro days of the 1970s. Tight gnarly forest, mud, rocks, creek crossings wet logs, tree roots, etc - that type of technical riding was what I did best. There's no way I could ride like that now, but I can still do it, albeit more slowly. It was the long, straight, higher speed sections where the faster riders caught up to me. It was one of those such sections where I was running behind, and faster than my skill limit, where I had the crash that placed me in the hospital for 2 weeks.

Bikes had to be street legal, but that was when all you had to do to make your bike "street legal" (in PA and many other states) was to slap a headlight and tail light on your bike - whether they worked or not didn't matter. The good old days!

Most regional Enduros were "timed" events - if you got to a checkpoint late, you were penalized. However, if you got to a checkpoint early, penalties were more severe: the assumption being that there were sufficient paved roads that you didn't have to exceed the posted speed limit by much to catch up, if you were behind. In the 1970s, A reasonably good rider could ride and had a fair chance at ending in the top 20 in their class.

As the 70s turned to the 80s, Enduro focused more on speed with fewer paved sections (or no paved sections at all) and multiple loops through some areas. By then, only the fastest riders had a chance, and I lost interest (plus I was juggling a career and a growing family). My last competition bike was a KTM 400, and my next new "dirt worthy" bike purchase wasn't until 2004, when I got my first KLR.

Mike

[b]From:[/b] Martin Earl [mailto:mjearl4@...] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:26 PM [b]To:[/b] undisclosed-recipients: [b]Subject:[/b] Fwd: Hard Enduro pro-class video

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: [b]Martin Earl[/b] Date: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:00 PM Subject: Hard Enduro pro-class video To:

This is the type of riding I and only dream about between clean cotton sheets. cough.

This is so difficult, I don't see how it is fun.

Although, it is pretty incredible watching this guy pick a line and accomplishing the 'climb'

The camera man (Graham Jarvis) starts out last or nearly last and reels in all the leaders before the end of the first lap. 

At the halfway point, it made me tired just watching. yikes!

video TITLE

GRAHAM JARVIS BRITISH EXTREME ENDURO CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND 1 TONG - 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGetizODxpc

Ronnie Magen

this group away?

Post by Ronnie Magen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 am

THAT is exactly what happened to a local Group about/with British Motorcycles & Riders.

I 'signed up' to follow along AND NOW all I get is a continual 'assault' of GARBAGE from everywhere ! Only occassionally do I get ANYTHING about the Riders in the group. NEVER anything about the Riders, or 'Meet ups, or Rides.

1a. This group going away? Posted by: RJTaylor@... notanymoore Date: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 am ((PDT)) I noticed the KLR Adventure Group has already ceased activity. And this group has tailed off significantly. I assume everyone is going to Facebook groups for discussion?

dennis vowell

this group away?

Post by dennis vowell » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:29 pm

We need to bring back Jennifer In a message dated 3/16/2018 11:14:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com writes:
    THAT is exactly what happened to a local Group about/with British Motorcycles & Riders. I 'signed up' to follow along AND NOW all I get is a continual 'assault' of GARBAGE from everywhere ! Only occassionally do I get ANYTHING about the Riders in the group. NEVER anything about the Riders, or 'Meet ups, or Rides. 1a. This group going away? Posted by: RJTaylor@... notanymoore Date: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 am ((PDT)) I noticed the KLR Adventure Group has already ceased activity. And this group has tailed off significantly. I assume everyone is going to Facebook groups for discussion?