nklr, ron criswell tributes

DSN_KLR650
Martin Earl

nklr, ron criswell tributes

Post by Martin Earl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Fred and Buddy,I was glad to do it; I was glad I was able to do it (in-between my own hospital adventures.) revmaaatin. who seems, last year, to have been good for the hospital economy. shrug.
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Fred Hink wrote: Martin, I m glad you were able to make this trip and are back home again. Thanks for all you do. Fred http://www. arrowheadmotorsports.com [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com">Martin Earl mjearl4@... [DSN_KLR650] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:17 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com">DSN KLR650 [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] NKLR, Ron Criswell tributes List, Saturday was the memorial service for our friend, Ron Criswell. I will post the service tributes one at a time so you might have a sense of Ron's life and the people he loved. The first tribute is written and given by his brother, Tony Criswell. 13 Jan 2018 Grapevine, TX

My Brother Ron,

I don t know where to start.

Ron was always in my life, even when we were apart. He and Connie and Damon would take us camping and boating and show us, out of the way places, whether it was canoeing the Brazos River, camping at Canyon Lake or Dancing at Greene Hall.

I could tell many funny stories of growing up with Ron but I will leave those for later.

I had the honor and privilege of being Best Man at Ron and Connie s wedding and hanging out with the Ellington Clan [Connie s family] to celebrate. They certainly knew how to throw a party and we were all so happy for them. They did everything together and were devoted to each other and their son, Damon.

Ron knew what he wanted to be as a kid: an artist. We both drew a lot as kids but I lost interest, not Ron though. He also thoroughly enjoyed traveling the world, Motor Cycles and riding the waves on his Hobie Cat. Anything he took an interest in he did well; that was what I admired in him. That and his Courage--he was always testing his limits.

If we rode motorcycles, he rode faster; if we sailed the Hobie Cat, he would turn the thing on its side to get more speed on the water.

Ron enjoyed life to the max and wanted his friends to do the same.

I miss his jokes and his wicked humor. Typical of Ron is this recollection-- Last year when he was sick I asked him there was anything I could do for him Yeah, he said, go see my favorite bartender at Twin Peaks and have a drink for me.

Now there is a hole in my heart, knowing I won t be able to call him or seek his advice.

I know he is out of pain now, laughing with Jesus and maybe having a glass or two of wine with him.

He probably borrows a Motorcycle from God to tear around Heaven while hollering for us to join in the Heavenly Realm to see the sights.

Till I see you again Brother, enjoy the sights until we get there and share the joys together.

God Speed my brother and much, much love,

Bud

Tony Criswell

Martin Earl

# 2 criswell tribute, author ben stewart

Post by Martin Earl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm

This is the Criswell tribute #2 by friend Ben Stewart.I know you will enjoy it as much as I did. blessings, revmaaatin. 13 Jan 18Grapevine, TX "Another Chapter in Our Lives" I m sure he s said it to others, but often when talking to Ron, be it about good stuff, bad stuff or just stuff, he d say, Steeert, It s just a another chapter in the book.

I first met Ron in the mid 80 s when my wife Judy was working as an office manager for a group of creative s in a shared, office-space setup. His office was at the end of hall and had a dartboard. He was BIG into darts and could tell some great stories about the dart leagues.

When work, or more accurately, lack of work, allowed, Thursday was the day guys from the office, most notably Ron, Robert and Mel would take a loooong lunch at various spots around town. As the new kid in town, I was glad to be included and started to get to know Ron better.

I learned pretty quickly Ron didn t suffer fools lightly, if at all.

There is a place we used to go camping on the Brazos River https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazos_River between Cleburne and Glenn Rose. It was a private spot in a pecan orchard with a white sandy beach. We went there frequently and Ron often joined us. You never knew who would show on those weekends. [When] you put camping, campfires and Ron together, there are going to be stories. Ron loved the water. I learned the majority of what I know about the Brazos [River] from Ron. He gave me his copy of John Graves s [u]Goodbye to a River[/u]; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_to_a_River he didn t need it anymore, he knew it by heart.

I was amazed from the beginning how he knew so much, about so much. His recall of facts, details and dates about events, such as a 4 day canoe race from San Marcos to the gulf that he took part in, to world events were impressive to say the least.

I also learned early that Ron was, well Ron. You pretty much knew where he stood and there wasn t much wiggle room. He was not shy in letting his feelings be known about a position on any issue. I guess Marines are just like that, he was the first Vietnam era vet I really got to know.

Again in the mid-late 80 s, we lived on a street that had a long downhill slope. After a snow and ice storm there was a knock at our door and it was Ron, with a sled in hand. I mean, who in Texas has a real Flexi Flyer sled and just shows up to sled on your street?

That would be Ron. We spent the next few hours sledding like kids.

Sometime later, Ron drops by the house and has a piece of his art he wanted to give Judy. Wow, that was very cool and much appreciated.

From the house on the hill, we moved into a loft space near downtown; 1750 square feet with two rooms. [It was] the bathroom and the rest of the place. We divided the living and studio space with theatre curtains. When making our loft a home I, emphasis on I, decided to put the piece Ron gave Judy in the bathroom, over the toilet. My thought was it would be an interesting piece for mostly the guys to look at.

Ron came over to see the new place, I don t remember if it was a party or just him. We had our usual good time and didn t think anything of it. The next day Ron calls Judy and says he has a problem. He doesn t do Bathroom Art. He was not at all happy or kidding. So Judy calls me and I quickly call Ron.

After I apologized for my unintended insult, explained my logic for its placement and assured him it would be moved to a different spot, we were good. Like I said, Ron wasn t shy on letting his feelings known. Since then, I ve added a couple more pieces of Ron s art to the house; they aren t even close to a bathroom door. He taught me a lesson about knowing the value of your art and standing up for it.

Anyone that knows Ron and Connie, know they have taken many envious trips abroad. One place Ron talked a lot about lately was Venezuela. Ron had a love for and a hurt in his heart for Venezuela. Loved the people but hated where recent politics have taken the country.

Ron and Connie were there during an election cycle when one Eduardo Fernandez was one of the candidates for President. I don t have Ron s recall for the hard facts, so I don t remember the name of the town they were in, but wherever they were, there was a rally for the presidential candidates in the town square. It seemed to be no big deal except for the fact Connie was having some kind of [physical] distress that required Ron to go find a pharmacy for relief. This required walking through at least the edges of the competing supporters for President in a South American country. On the way back [After] he found the relief Connie needed, he walked through the Fernandez supporter s camp that were chanting El Tigre , with political swag in abundance. [As a side note] Ron knew that before I came to Texas, I went to school at Clemson the home of The Tiger. [i] who brings a hat back to the states from a political rally in Venezuela, supporting the El Tigre Guy, and all it may mean if [this hat is] found at outbound customs, to give to a guy who hangs his art in a bathroom?[/i][i]

That would be Ron. I keep the hat near the, not-bathroom-art.

I knew of, but wasn t part of the circle that was motorcycles, but loved the stories of Moab and Terlingua, TX. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terlingua,_Texas

Over the past several years I ve become involved in competition Chili Cook Off(s) (CCO). The Holy Grail for chili cooks is Terlingua on the first Saturday in November. Qualifying chili cook offs happen most weekends, close to Dallas. From time to time, Ron and Connie would show up where I was cooking and lend support and [tell] stories about Terlingua.

One such cook off was in Wichita Falls. Ron and Connie made a day trip up to show their support. But the really cool part was that after the cook off, they gave me a tour .lunch at P2 s, [we] drove by one of the houses they grew up in, think it was Ron s, Connie s was taken out by the tornado or maybe the other way around. Next was the High School they went to and of course there was a story about the guy who constantly speed in front of the school, told like it was yesterday. Don t remember how I did at the CCO, but I ll always remember the day.

Both times Judy and I have gone to the Terlingua CCO, Ron joined us. He d be up before dawn to ride to his favorite place to watch the sun rise and then maybe [add] an afternoon ride. I know how much he loved the Big Bend Area and didn t need much of an excuse to go, but it meant a lot [to us] that he would travel 600 miles, each way, and join us [while] camping out on a 320 acre semi flat spot in the desert outside of Terlingua with about 2500 other people.

One evening we the guys, Ron, me and Jim, are going to a visit a part of CASI Ranch called Krazy Flatz that has a bar/etc to see how it earned it name. I think Judy s favorite memory of that trip was seeing Ron in the lead on his bike (complaining about the 5 mph speed limit), me following on a gator and our buddy Jim in his Honda CRV. I d follow that guy anywhere.

I will miss not being able to share his company while getting my truck serviced in Grapevine. Those are days I will never forget. He shared YouTube video s and stories of places he and Connie had been, especially that insane hiking trail in Hawaii, Moab and drag racing.

In good times and not so good ones Ron was always a good friend to Judy and me. It s hard to believe he s not here to tell another story or share another view, but while his physical being isn t here, his spirit is. And he will live on through Connie, Damon and the rest of the family, his art and the memories we have of him.

It s just another chapter in each of our books.

[/i]