pondering after 18 yrs

DSN_KLR650
eddie mauri

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by eddie mauri » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I have a question, in yall's opinion, what motorcycles (regardless of brand - but available in the US) are closest to the KLR? I am wondering who else makes something very similar to the KLR? I am familiar with the BMW, KTM, Husqvarna, and Triumphs.  I am not  asking about the high-end ($$$) bikes, I am asking about something similar to a KLR, near the same price range as the KLR. I am asking what other dual Sports would you compare the KLR to?  Also, is there anything in the 750-1000 cc range?  Eddie2003 KLR ("la Poderosa" - bone white green, not Barbie pink) Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

david zawadzki

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by david zawadzki » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Suzuki dr650. - more suited for off road.  David Zmobile: 646.267.1109poisonpartyband.com
On Jul 9, 2017, at 4:44 PM, eddie mauri eddiebmauri@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I have a question, in yall's opinion, what motorcycles (regardless of brand - but available in the US) are closest to the KLR? I am wondering who else makes something very similar to the KLR? I am familiar with the BMW, KTM, Husqvarna, and Triumphs.  I am not  asking about the high-end ($$$) bikes, I am asking about something similar to a KLR, near the same price range as the KLR. I am asking what other dual Sports would you compare the KLR to?  Also, is there anything in the 750-1000 cc range?  Eddie2003 KLR ("la Poderosa" - bone white green, not Barbie pink) Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

SniperOne308

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by SniperOne308 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 pm

In the 1000cc category I've been very impressed with the Honda Africa Twin, enough that I might consider selling my GSA to get one. While they are not in the $6500 range (new), they are in the 12k range which is less than many others. I spent a day on one at Overland and it is a versitle machine. My XR650L is in that $6500 range (new) and is generally more off road oriented than my KLR.  In Stock form the XR has a tall seat height.  That can be fixed by someone who understands the dynamics. Randy Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "eddie mauri eddiebmauri@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 7/9/17 2:44 PM (GMT-07:00) To: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR-ish Bikes - NKLR?   I have a question, in yall's opinion, what motorcycles (regardless of brand - but available in the US) are closest to the KLR? I am wondering who else makes something very similar to the KLR? I am familiar with the BMW, KTM, Husqvarna, and Triumphs.  I am not  asking about the high-end ($$$) bikes, I am asking about something similar to a KLR, near the same price range as the KLR. I am asking what other dual Sports would you compare the KLR to?  Also, is there anything in the 750-1000 cc range?  Eddie2003 KLR ("la Poderosa" - bone white green, not Barbie pink) Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

JR Rantz

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by JR Rantz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:43 am

Possibly the Honda Africa Twin. 1000cc but with that bike you are twice the cost of a new KLR. As you will soon hear from others, KAW has a unique nitch with the KLR. Not really any true competitors in its price range, just a lot of posers! Get Outlook for Android
On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 11:42 PM -0500, "SniperOne308 sniperone308@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   In the 1000cc category I've been very impressed with the Honda Africa Twin, enough that I might consider selling my GSA to get one. While they are not in the $6500 range (new), they are in the 12k range which is less than many others. I spent a day on one at Overland and it is a versitle machine. My XR650L is in that $6500 range (new) and is generally more off road oriented than my KLR.  In Stock form the XR has a tall seat height.  That can be fixed by someone who understands the dynamics. Randy Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "eddie mauri eddiebmauri@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 7/9/17 2:44 PM (GMT-07:00) To: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] KLR-ish Bikes - NKLR?   I have a question, in yall's opinion, what motorcycles (regardless of brand - but available in the US) are closest to the KLR? I am wondering who else makes something very similar to the KLR? I am familiar with the BMW, KTM, Husqvarna, and Triumphs.  I am not  asking about the high-end ($$$) bikes, I am asking about something similar to a KLR, near the same price range as the KLR. I am asking what other dual Sports would you compare the KLR to?  Also, is there anything in the 750-1000 cc range?  Eddie2003 KLR ("la Poderosa" - bone white green, not Barbie pink) Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

notanymoore

pondering after 18 yrs

Post by notanymoore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I bought a 2006 KLR new ($4900).  It was my main bike until 3 years ago when I bought a used 2006 Weestrom 650.  Both are identically farkled in an advernture bike kind of way.  The Wee is my main commuter bike.  The KLR is still my banging around bike.  37K and going.  

notanymoore

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by notanymoore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I can't think of a liquid cooled "dual sport" in the KLR price range.  My 2006 cost me $4900 plus tax and tip new. Except perhaps the Yamaha XT660 (about $2K more actually).     But I don't believe that is sold in the US.   The DL650 is 1 size larger that the KLR and not really "dual sport" unless you get the new Adventure model.  Then you're in the Africa Twin price range,.  Other bikes (Suzuki, Honda) are air cooled and more dirt oriented.  European makes are out of my price range.  The Africa twin is as well but I might keep an eye out for a used one in a couple years. The only other bike I'd consider new other than the KLR is the Yamaha if I could get one.  I have a DL650 but is used  differently. 

Norman Heistand

klr-ish bikes - nklr?

Post by Norman Heistand » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 pm

I like my Suzuki air cooled 650 very well. And it was a great bargain for me. It is under 3000 miles for a 2006 model in perfect condition for under $2000. Norm Heistand my .02
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:08 PM, RJTaylor@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I can't think of a liquid cooled "dual sport" in the KLR price range. My 2006 cost me $4900 plus tax and tip new. Except perhaps the Yamaha XT660 (about $2K more actually). But I don't believe that is sold in the US. The DL650 is 1 size larger that the KLR and not really "dual sport" unless you get the new Adventure model. Then you're in the Africa Twin price range,. Other bikes (Suzuki, Honda) are air cooled and more dirt oriented. European makes are out of my price range. The Africa twin is as well but I might keep an eye out for a used one in a couple years. The only other bike I'd consider new other than the KLR is the Yamaha if I could get one. I have a DL650 but is used differently.