disconnecting the damn ignition parking light

DSN_KLR650
David Giuliani

valves

Post by David Giuliani » Sun May 06, 2007 10:29 am

I see the 1/4" torque wrenches at your links are 0-60 in.lbs. whereas the click type from Harbor Freight, JCWhitney,Overstock.com are 30- 200 in.lbs. My 3/8" Craftsman is rated 40-250 in.lbs. I can understand 0-60 would be more accurate and nicely overlap my 40-250, but the torque spec shown in Clymer for the valve cover bolts is 71 in.lbs. Any other suggestions? Dave --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfal" wrote:
> > http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=13&item=TW%2D1 > > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11387 > > Fred > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Priest" wrote: > > > > > And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My
Horrible
> > > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. > > > > Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No > > stripped bolts (yet). :) > > > > Jim > > >

kestrelfal

valves

Post by kestrelfal » Sun May 06, 2007 11:19 am

Oops. I goofed. 5 ft-lbs ain't much. Sorry. Fred --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "David Giuliani" wrote:
> > I see the 1/4" torque wrenches at your links are 0-60 in.lbs. whereas > the click type from Harbor Freight, JCWhitney,Overstock.com are 30- > 200 in.lbs. My 3/8" Craftsman is rated 40-250 in.lbs. I can > understand 0-60 would be more accurate and nicely overlap my 40-250, > but the torque spec shown in Clymer for the valve cover bolts is 71 > in.lbs. Any other suggestions? > > Dave > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfal" > wrote: > > > > http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=13&item=TW%2D1 > > > > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11387 > > > > Fred > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Priest" wrote: > > > > > > > And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My > Horrible > > > > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. > > > > > > Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No > > > stripped bolts (yet). :) > > > > > > Jim > > > > > >

Jon Neet

valves

Post by Jon Neet » Sun May 06, 2007 12:14 pm

I might bring up here that I used to have a 2001 KLR250 (really great bike) that had two warranty issues.One, the countershaft/output seal blew. But the other was, on a nice weekend trail riding trip, the engine suddenly started a terrible knock.This was at 1482 miles.Had to trailer it out to a dealer.They tore it down and found a piece of gasket sealer had torn loose and plugged the oil supply line to the top end destroying the cylinder head, cams, rockers, etc, etc.Took a long time to go throught the warranty process, but was repaired for free and ran great ever after. I worked as a larger truck mechanic for many years, and gasket sealer can be overused so easily that its scarey.I've talked to mechanics that have repaired overheat problems, where vehicle owners have totally plugged coolant channels, and even thermostats with gasket goo. But Kawasaki's engine assemblers need a lesson in the proper use of gasket sealers.I used to like the spray -on High-Tach type of sealer because you just spray on a light coating, and it wouldn't "squish out" like the silicone type of sealers. Jon --------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

valves

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon May 07, 2007 11:09 am

On Sat, 5 May 2007 08:14:52 -0700 Blake Sobiloff writes:
> On May 3, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Jeff Saline wrote: > > An owner can do the valve adjustment if interested enough. No > > expensive > > and fancy tools required. > > Jeff, I hate to disagree, but I think that most folks should have a > > 1/4" torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds before attempting > the > valves. At least in my experience, a 1/4" torque wrench is an > "expensive and fancy tool," but one that's certainly necessary if > you're going to do all the maintenance on a KLR. The torque > settings > are too important to attempt by feel, and we all know how annoyingly > > easy it is to strip the head cover bolts--and what a huge hassle it > > is to get that fixed. > -- > Blake Sobiloff > http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> > http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> > San Jose, CA (USA)
<><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><> Blake, I don't agree that a torque wrench is a fancy or expensive tool. But I can see how someone getting set up in the tool department might find it that way. : ) I'd suggest an inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench that overlap a bit on the high end of the inch pound and low end of the foot pound scales. Then you can get the best coverage of torque values for the least amount of torque wrenches. I believe Sears has a sale on two models for about $69 or so from 6-12 May. And the add I saw said you get an accessory kit with each purchase. That included a couple of extensions, adapters and a u-joint. I think those would cover most of the needs for home shop mechanics on a KLR. I wouldn't suggest someone try to learn how to tighten bolts by "feel". And I would suggest that even folks with lots of experience at wrenching use torque wrenches regularly on critical fasteners. I seem to recall a story told by a guy working for "lockheed???" at an assembly plant. Mechanics were asked to torque some fasteners by feel. Some were very close to the correct torques and were also consistent with multiple fasteners. And some were all over the place with torque values and very inconsistent. I think I'll stick with using a torque wrench in most situations and get close and consistent on what I work on. And I don't see a problem using a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter on a torque wrench to get into tight areas. Thanks for bringing up the torque wrench issue. I'm sure it will help some novice and experienced mechanics alike. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Ronald Criswell

valves

Post by Ronald Criswell » Tue May 08, 2007 8:55 am

I think a good torque wrench is invaluable. A friend who was meeting me at Big Bend National Park recently on his KLR. He discovered while getting gas in New Mexico (not from the food), that his rear caliper was missing one bolt and the other was just barely on. He recently added new tires and I'll bet he just used the Gootentight torque wrench (meaning none at all). Criswell
On May 5, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Norm Keller wrote: > > Gee, Judd 48 years of wrenching KLRs (VBG) > > It is simply amazing how many people get into trouble by over > tightening small fasteners and under tightening large ones. > > Unless you have a very refined sense of feel and have spent the > time to actually check the tightening done to refine the feel as > Judd has done, do yourself a big favour and use a torque wrench. > > I see examples of home wrenching all the time where someone has > pulled past the torque wrench's setting and still stripped or > broken.... > > Buy 250 inch pound torque wrench and use it. A 100 foot pound will > cover the remainder of your needs. > > 47 years in the mechanical trades, Interprovicial Automotive, > Marine, Small Engines, Motorcycle certifications. Heavy equipment > and welding training. Many years automotive machine shop > experience. 10+ years teaching mechanics in colleges. 3rd Class > Power Engineering Certificate, advanced training in fasteners, > chassis and alignment. > > All that and, yes, I broke a 6mm bolt a while ago. It happens to > all of us if we are the least bit complacent. Or, in my case, a low > IQ (VBG). > > Just rambling, better get back to the chores. > > Norm > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ronald Criswell

valves

Post by Ronald Criswell » Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 am

I did the same using an overkill half inch drive torque wrench ......... and I think me and others might be guilty of going past after the click. Some torque wrenches are kinda quiet when they click. Beam type are supposed to be the most accurate but hard for my old eyes to read. Criswell
On May 5, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Jim Priest wrote: > > > I would say if you DO use a torque wrench - practice with it first if > you have never used one before. My first click-type torque wrench I > bought and promptly stripped the oil drain plug in my first Kawasaki > beater bike. So needless to say it went a LOONG time without an oil > change :) > > I really like the beam because I can see the reading as well as get a > 'feel' for things... At some point I'll probably strip something > important and then break down and buy one :) > > Jim > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Luc Legrain

valves

Post by Luc Legrain » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:25 am

Thank you all for the feed back . I have taken that sweet KLR apart so many times I could do it with my eyes closed (except for the valves shim job .. )
Did everything I was supposed to . The old shims are in front of me ,properly identified ..intake left ,right , exhaust left, right , measured clearance ( in MILLIMETERS ...FRED !! even the freaking Brits are using m/m ! so why not here?? don't get it ) Speaking of Brits you know that they going to lose the football .. not soccer ..FOOTBALL game against Italy today in the World Cup, right ?
Anyways all this talk in order to hide my stupid question : I'm shooting for the top of the specs(valves opening more or less?) on the valves What is it ? And please explain the wearing process . Why are the clearances reducing ?
 Thank you for the feed back and not calling me a dumb Frenchie or Frog !!

Harry Seifert

valves

Post by Harry Seifert » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:52 am

Luc,  A tappy valve is a happy valve.  So, you want the clearance on the large side.  The valves rotate slightly as they cycle and with all that heat and no lubrication, metal to metal contact, something has to wear, or so Kawasaki taught me many, many moons ago.  That constant rotation creates a slight lapping action on the valves and seats.Aren t you a Canuck????  Personally, I m a SoCal mountain redneck.  The few, the unassailable.  Italy doesn t look that good, I m taking Great Britain. Buddy
On Jun 14, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Luc Legrain zrislois2klr@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Thank you all for the feed back . I have taken that sweet KLR apart so many times I could do it with my eyes closed (except for the valves shim job .. )Did everything I was supposed to . The old shims are in front of me ,properly identified ..intake left ,right , exhaust left, right , measured clearance ( in MILLIMETERS ...FRED !! even the freaking Brits are using m/m ! so why not here?? don't get it ) Speaking of Brits you know that they going to lose the football .. not soccer ..FOOTBALL game against Italy today in the World Cup, right ?Anyways all this talk in order to hide my stupid question : I'm shooting for the top of the specs(valves opening more or less?) on the valves What is it ? And please explain the wearing process . Why are the clearances reducing ? Thank you for the feed back and not calling me a dumb Frenchie or Frog !!

RobertWichert

valves

Post by RobertWichert » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 pm

SOUNDS LIKE A BET! I bet Italy scores first. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C HERS I/II CEPE CEA BPI CERTIFIED SF/MF GREEN POINT RATER +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== On 6/14/2014 9:52 AM, Harry Seifert bseifert71@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Luc, A tappy valve is a happy valve. So, you want the clearance on the large side. The valves rotate slightly as they cycle and with all that heat and no lubrication, metal to metal contact, something has to wear, or so Kawasaki taught me many, many moons ago. That constant rotation creates a slight lapping action on the valves and seats. Aren t you a Canuck???? Personally, I m a SoCal mountain redneck. The few, the unassailable. Italy doesn t look that good, I m taking Great Britain. Buddy On Jun 14, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Luc Legrain zrislois2klr@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Thank you all for the feed back . I have taken that sweet KLR apart so many times I could do it with my eyes closed (except for the valves shim job .. ) Did everything I was supposed to . The old shims are in front of me ,properly identified ..intake left ,right , exhaust left, right , measured clearance ( in MILLIMETERS ...FRED !! even the freaking Brits are using m/m ! so why not here?? don't get it ) Speaking of Brits you know that they going to lose the football .. not soccer ..FOOTBALL game against Italy today in the World Cup, right ? Anyways all this talk in order to hide my stupid question : I'm shooting for the top of the specs(valves opening more or less?) on the valves What is it ? And please explain the wearing process . Why are the clearances reducing ? Thank you for the feed back and not calling me a dumb Frenchie or Frog !!

John Littel

valves

Post by John Littel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:09 pm

SOUNDS LIKE A BET!  I bet Italy scores first. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C HERS I/II CEPE CEA BPI CERTIFIED SF/MF GREEN POINT RATER +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== On 6/14/2014 9:52 AM, Harry Seifert bseifert71@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
[quote]   Luc,  A tappy valve is a happy valve.  So, you want the clearance on the large side.  The valves rotate slightly as they cycle and with all that heat and no lubrication, metal to metal contact, something has to wear, or so Kawasaki taught me many, many moons ago.  That constant rotation creates a slight lapping action on the valves and seats. Aren t you a Canuck????  Personally, I m a SoCal mountain redneck.  The few, the unassailable.  Italy doesn t look that good, I m taking Great Britain. Buddy On Jun 14, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Luc Legrain zrislois2klr@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Thank you all for the feed back . I have taken that sweet KLR apart so many times I could do it with my eyes closed (except for the valves shim job .. ) Did everything I was supposed to . The old shims are in front of me ,properly identified ..intake left ,right , exhaust left, right , measured clearance ( in MILLIMETERS ...FRED !! even the freaking Brits are using m/m ! so why not here?? don't get it ) Speaking of Brits you know that they going to lose the football .. not soccer ..FOOTBALL game against Italy today in the World Cup, right ? Anyways all this talk in order to hide my stupid question : I'm shooting for the top of the specs(valves opening more or less?) on the valves What is it ? And please explain the wearing process . Why are the clearances reducing ?  Thank you for the feed back and not calling me a dumb Frenchie or Frog !!
[/quote]