disconnecting the damn ignition parking light

DSN_KLR650
Zachariah Mully

valves

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sat May 05, 2007 11:29 am

Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> On May 3, 2007, at 2:42 PM, David Peontek wrote: >> The owners manual says to ride the new KLR 500 miles and then take >> it to the >> dealer to have the oil changed and the valves adjusted. I have 700 >> miles. >> I can change the oil. > > Hi David! Get your butt in gear and change that oil and > filter! :-) Personally, I change the oil in a new engine at 50, > 500, and 1,500 miles. There's a lot of crud and cruft left in the > engine as it comes out of the plant--especially with Kawi's old > school manufacturing processes.
I'd be curious for someone with a new KLR, say < 500 miles, to pull the oil strainer screen to see how much slag and stuff is in the engine from the factory. When I pulled mine on my A5 at 12,000 miles (due to a cracked engine case) it was pretty well packed up with crap. If I ever bought a new KLR (unlikely ;) I'd immediately pull the oil strainer and do a valve check. Z

Jud Jones

valves

Post by Jud Jones » Sat May 05, 2007 1:24 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> > On May 3, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Jeff Saline wrote: > > An owner can do the valve adjustment if interested enough. No > > expensive > > and fancy tools required. > > Jeff, I hate to disagree, but I think that most folks should have a > 1/4" torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds before attempting the > valves. At least in my experience, a 1/4" torque wrench is an > "expensive and fancy tool," but one that's certainly necessary if > you're going to do all the maintenance on a KLR. The torque settings > are too important to attempt by feel, and we all know how annoyingly > easy it is to strip the head cover bolts--and what a huge hassle it > is to get that fixed. > --
Geez, I wish I had known this when I started turning wrenches about 48 years ago. I have been doing it wrong all this time. I'm overdue to strip one if I don't change my ways.

Blake Sobiloff

valves

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Sat May 05, 2007 1:49 pm

On May 5, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Jud Jones wrote:
> Geez, I wish I had known this when I started turning wrenches about > 48 years ago. I have > been doing it wrong all this time. I'm overdue to strip one if I > don't change my ways.
Jud, I compliment you on your extraordinary sense of feel. Unfortunately, such a skill is notably absent from the vast majority of the population. So, for us mere mortals I believe that a 1/4"- drive torque wrench is well advised. :-) -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Zachariah Mully

valves

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sat May 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Jud Jones wrote:
> --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Blake Sobiloff wrote: >> On May 3, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Jeff Saline wrote: >>> An owner can do the valve adjustment if interested enough. No >>> expensive >>> and fancy tools required. >> Jeff, I hate to disagree, but I think that most folks should have a >> 1/4" torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds before attempting the >> valves. At least in my experience, a 1/4" torque wrench is an >> "expensive and fancy tool," but one that's certainly necessary if >> you're going to do all the maintenance on a KLR. The torque settings >> are too important to attempt by feel, and we all know how annoyingly >> easy it is to strip the head cover bolts--and what a huge hassle it >> is to get that fixed. >> -- > > Geez, I wish I had known this when I started turning wrenches about 48 years ago. I have > been doing it wrong all this time. I'm overdue to strip one if I don't change my ways. >
And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My Horrible Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. Z

Jim Priest

valves

Post by Jim Priest » Sat May 05, 2007 2:00 pm

> And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My Horrible > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25.
Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No stripped bolts (yet). :) Jim

mauiklr650

valves

Post by mauiklr650 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 pm

a fishin' spring scale works for me, but i don't fish. larry
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Priest" wrote: > > > And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My Horrible > > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. > > Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No > stripped bolts (yet). :) > > Jim >

Doug Herr

valves

Post by Doug Herr » Sat May 05, 2007 2:51 pm

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> Jud, I compliment you on your extraordinary sense of feel. > Unfortunately, such a skill is notably absent from the vast majority > of the population. So, for us mere mortals I believe that a 1/4"- > drive torque wrench is well advised. :-)
Yup, have to agree. Still, it *was* good experience to learn how to use a Helicoil. -- Doug Herr doug@... A16 in Oakland, California

kestrelfal

valves

Post by kestrelfal » Sat May 05, 2007 3:01 pm

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=13&item=TW%2D1 http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11387 Fred
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Priest" wrote: > > > And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My Horrible > > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. > > Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No > stripped bolts (yet). :) > > Jim >

C L Cooper

valves

Post by C L Cooper » Sat May 05, 2007 3:06 pm

You're just pullin' our collective leg.... right???
On 5/5/07, mauiklr650 wrote: > > a fishin' spring scale works for me, but i don't fish. > > larry > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , "Jim > Priest" wrote: > > > > > And who says a 1/4" torque wrench has to be expensive? My Horrible > > > Freight 1/4" wrench works great and only cost me $25. > > > > Yep. I use an old fashioned beam-type and it works just fine. No > > stripped bolts (yet). :) > > > > Jim > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Zachariah Mully

valves

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sat May 05, 2007 3:22 pm

C L Cooper wrote:
> You're just pullin' our collective leg.... right???
No, you can certainly use an appropriate spring scale as long as you take into account the length of your wrench. Z