[dsn_klr650] disconnecting the damn ignition parking light

DSN_KLR650
klrbugeater

disconnecting the damn ignition parking light

Post by klrbugeater » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Group, Okay, I swear this is the last time this is going to happen again.  Yes, again..  Last night I was tired and hot.  Just rode the 2007 KLR in the drive, hopped off and turned the damn key too far and ran in the house for the rest of the night.  Yep, the dreaded drained battery in the morning because of it.  My bike was laughing at me.  Haaaaaa,haaaaaa haa!  You turned the key too far!  Haaaaa haaaaa haa! So who in this group has clipped or disconnected this stupid awesome wonderful feature?  Please, for the love of Thor and Odin, can someone tell me how to get this feature off my KLR? I have already disconnected the clutch and kickstand feature back in 2008, but this feature lingers, like a door ding on a new car.  If I have to disassemble the entire bike, I'll do it, cause I swear, it's the last time. Frustrated and upset at myself (ready with wire cutters, electrical tape, soldering iron, solder), KLR Bugeater Lincoln, NE Om Mani Padme Hum,,.....

Walter L

Post by Walter L » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 pm

I have an LED bulb for my taillight. If left on it will not drain the battery overnight. More than that could be trouble.  Walt A14 Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 23, 2017, at 11:17 PM, jmsemail@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Hi Group, Okay, I swear this is the last time this is going to happen again.  Yes, again..  Last night I was tired and hot.  Just rode the 2007 KLR in the drive, hopped off and turned the damn key too far and ran in the house for the rest of the night.  Yep, the dreaded drained battery in the morning because of it.  My bike was laughing at me.  Haaaaaa,haaaaaa haa!  You turned the key too far!  Haaaaa haaaaa haa! So who in this group has clipped or disconnected this stupid awesome wonderful feature?  Please, for the love of Thor and Odin, can someone tell me how to get this feature off my KLR? I have already disconnected the clutch and kickstand feature back in 2008, but this feature lingers, like a door ding on a new car.  If I have to disassemble the entire bike, I'll do it, cause I swear, it's the last time. Frustrated and upset at myself (ready with wire c utters, electrical tape, soldering iron, solder), KLR Bugeater Lincoln, NE Om Mani Padme Hum,,.....

Norm Keller

[dsn_klr650] disconnecting the damn ignition parking light

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:23 am

Simple to do. Too late now, need to sleep but remind me in the morning and will post how to do it.

Ken Cooley

Post by Ken Cooley » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:41 am

Excuse me here because I am second gen KLR but why not just remove the key each time.Problem solved? Can you remove your key while in "Park" mode? Ken Cooley ShapeMaster, Inc.217-582-2638 108 East MainPO Box 372Ogden, IL 61859
On Jun 24, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Walter L w.l@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  I have an LED bulb for my taillight. If left on it will not drain the battery overnight. More than that could be trouble.  Walt A14 Sent from my iPhone On Jun 23, 2017, at 11:17 PM, jmsemail@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hi Group, Okay, I swear this is the last time this is going to happen again.  Yes, again..  Last night I was tired and hot.  Just rode the 2007 KLR in the drive, hopped off and turned the damn key too far and ran in the house for the rest of the night.  Yep, the dreaded drained battery in the morning because of it.  My bike was laughing at me.  Haaaaaa,haaaaaa haa!  You turned the key too far!  Haaaaa haaaaa haa! So who in this group has clipped or disconnected this stupid awesome wonderful feature?  Please, for the love of Thor and Odin, can someone tell me how to get this feature off my KLR? I have already disconnected the clutch and kickstand feature back in 2008, but this feature lingers, like a door ding on a new car.  If I have to disassemble the entire bike, I'll do it, cause I swear, it's the last time. Frustrated and upset at myself (ready with wire c utters, electrical tape, soldering iron, solder), KLR Bugeater Lincoln, NE Om Mani Padme Hum,,.....

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:56 pm

I agree about the LED tail light, IMO, that's a solution to a number of issues, regardless of whether one defeats the Park position. I like the Park, with LED because that allows the light to be used when parking in places such as shopping mall at night. Making the bike more visible, I speculate, my reduce the chance of some distracted driver running into it, and/or someone messing with the bike. LED tail light + LED on the City Light wires, allows the parking light on. If that's not ideal, how about installing a timed buzzer or other sound device to sound a short time in the Park position? As for changing the wiring, not a big thing. If you check the wiring diagram which I posted previously the City Light wires to the left of the Headlight are Brown/White and Black/Yellow. Black/Yellow is, of course, the common chassis ground. Brown/White is the same circuit as the Tail Light, also same colors. The cure/modification is simply to disconnect the Brown/White from the Ignition and connect it to the Brown (switched with Ignition on). Are you able to disconnect/remove terminals from plugs? If so, I can recommend a procedure and if not, we can look at a different strategy. It's a procedure which I haven't written up but doing so may help someone else in future. Here's a link to some comprehensive wiring information for Gen1. I had links to Dropbox on many groups but a Dropbox problem lost those links so anyone who thinks they might want this information would be advised to download. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Byf-6wOAcfcmdmluNUxXRXl1RHM?usp=sharing Here is the Gen2 version in case someone wants that: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Byf-6wOAcfcmMjg1WUI2ZkZYUkE?usp=sharing I can describe the necessary operations to accomplish switching the Tail Light to operate only with key on if someone wishes. FWIW, I recommend carrying a copy of at least the wiring diagram and better, the linked information if traveling. One can often find competent help if one has the references required for the person to understand the system.

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 pm

I may as well finish this explanation so here goes: Referring to the wiring diagram, the Red/White wire is powered in both the Park position and in the On position. The Brown wire is the main switched power circuit for the KLR and is powered only with the key in the On position. All which is needed is to disconnect the Red/White wire from the Ignition switch and to connect it to the Brown wire. In that connection the tail light will only be powered when the ignition switch is in the On position- problem solved. Here's a wiring diagram showing the wires involved. The green arrow points to the ignition switch harness plug #23 which is under the black plastic "bucket' under the instrument cluster. I will post a photo of those plugs. The blue bar is on the Red/White wire from the ignition switch showing where it passes through Plug #23 at Pin #6. Diagram to come. The blue "C" is around Junction #8 where the Red/White tail light wire, where it joins the Brown/White City Light wire. I can give the harness location where this is located if you wish but don't think it's needed. The blue circle is around the unused bullet connectors on the ends of the City Light Wires under the headlight. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw1kkzrg9z30xa6/Tail%20light%20to%20Brown%20wire%20no%20park%20Park%20circuit%20labelled.jpg?dl=0

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 pm

What I need to know, is if the information Here are the main harness plug pin outs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8khfned2ds3q9l/KLR%20Gen%201%20Pinouts%202_Page_1.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfmhupexyr5sgvn/KLR%20Gen%201%20Pinouts%202_Page_2.jpg?dl=0 The Plug #23 is on the sheet but may as well have both. Not really necessary as can just go by the colors but since you mentioned having a soldering iron, I assume that you're pretty up on wiring. Here's a labeled photo of the plugs under the instrument cluster: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uth7tl2dm6vg4f7/Main%20Wiring%20Plugs%20Under%20Dash%20Photo.jpg?dl=0 The simplest way I can think of to do this is to snip the Red/White wire from the harness side of the plug, and run a jumper to the Brown Horn wire. Nicer to do the disconnect and connection at Plug #23 as I described. I'm like a one armed paper hanger today so may have left out something so please let me know. If you wouldn't mind, would you please take some photos and describe the steps you used to do the modification? That might help someone else and will help me to not miss something. I'll put this together and post on KLR Technical on Facebook where I do most of my KLR tech posting.