4 seconds to impact............

DSN_KLR650
klrbugeater

teflon tape on klr bolts/screws?

Post by klrbugeater » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Group, Was at a monthly event for Dual Sport and Euro bikes yesterday evening.  I know both my 2001 and 2007 KLR rattles bolts, nuts and screws out of where I'd like them to stay (which is on and in the bike).   A guy there suggested that I use regular teflon tape on the all the KLR's threads (instead of using Loc-Tite) to keep crap from rattling off the bike.  1) Is there anyone in this group of KLR owners that have used teflon tape instead of Loc-Tite for KLR bolts?   2) What was your personal experience with teflon tape on your KLR? Thanks, KLR Bugeater

edgyver31906

Post by edgyver31906 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I use Teflon tape on brake bleeder fittings to help keep air out at fluid changes, but not on anything else. I prefer either safety-wiring the scary stuff (caliper bolts, etc ) or putting a glob of regular silicone RTV on bolt threads before installing them. -eddie

[b]From: [/b]DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent: [/b]Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:32 AM [b]To: [/b]DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject: [/b][DSN_KLR650] Teflon Tape on KLR Bolts/Screws?

Hi Group, Was at a monthly event for Dual Sport and Euro bikes yesterday evening.  I know both my 2001 and 2007 KLR rattles bolts, nuts and screws out of where I'd like them to stay (which is on and in the bike).   A guy there suggested that I use regular teflon tape on the all the KLR's threads (instead of using Loc-Tite) to keep crap from rattling off the bike.  1) Is there anyone in this group of KLR owners that have used teflon tape instead of Loc-Tite for KLR bolts?   2) What was your personal experience with teflon tape on your KLR?   Thanks,   KLR Bugeater  

Martin Earl

Post by Martin Earl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:28 am

Try it on half the bolts that are repeat offenders...I think I have only lost 2or 3 bolts in 80K+ miles and rearely use any locktite (I did on the one that were replaced. wink) Having said that, one bike had BOTH bolts that hold the ignition switch to the upper triple tree fall out last week. huh. go figure.So the count is up to 5; the new bolts were blue locktite-d.m.
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM, edgyver40@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I use Teflon tape on brake bleeder fittings to help keep air out at fluid changes, but not on anything else. I prefer either safety-wiring the scary stuff (caliper bolts, etc ) or putting a glob of regular silicone RTV on bolt threads before installing them. -eddie

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[b]From: [/b]DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent: [/b]Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:32 AM [b]To: [/b]DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject: [/b][DSN_KLR650] Teflon Tape on KLR Bolts/Screws?

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u][u][/u]

Hi Group, Was at a monthly event for Dual Sport and Euro bikes yesterday evening. I know both my 2001 and 2007 KLR rattles bolts, nuts and screws out of where I'd like them to stay (which is on and in the bike). A guy there suggested that I use regular teflon tape on the all the KLR's threads (instead of using Loc-Tite) to keep crap from rattling off the bike. 1) Is there anyone in this group of KLR owners that have used teflon tape instead of Loc-Tite for KLR bolts? 2) What was your personal experience with teflon tape on your KLR? [u][/u] [u][/u] Thanks, [u][/u] [u][/u] KLR Bugeater[u][/u][u][/u][u][/u] [u][/u]

Norm Keller

4 seconds to impact............

Post by Norm Keller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Very glad you didn't crash and appreciate the reminder. That's one of the reasons I upgraded my Gen1 front brake with 250 Ninja master cylinder, braided hose, Gen2 rotor, adapter plate, and SV650 front caliper. It will do stoppies which requires practice.