where to get top end rebuild

DSN_KLR650
Mark

need a reminder & headlight wiring mod?

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey Y'all
There was a topic on the headlight wiring being a bit undersized????? and by adding a relay & Wiring to the battery, (or starter relay) you get a Brighter light, do to the lighter gage OEM being a bit undersized??? or the switches?? 
1st. I would like a parts list, for the relay & New higher temp Bulb outlet, etc.
2nd. Is it the wiring is undersized for the 55/60 Bulb? OR If you want to use a Higher watt bulb you need the upgraded mod???
As Always, THANKS 
travel Well! Travel Safe!

Norm Keller

need a reminder & headlight wiring mod?

Post by Norm Keller » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 pm

There is a significant voltage drop in both the "hot" side and the ground circuit of the KLR headlight wiring, about like almost every other bike on the road. Some exceptions such as bigger Hondas. It's simple to determine this, just put a voltmeter lead on the battery positive and the other lead onto the headlight high beam terminal with engine running and light on high beam. The voltage which you read will be the difference (lost voltage) between the battery and the high beam. If memory serves a Gen1 KLR is about 2 volts lost. I think the ground circuit is 3/4 to one volt from memory. The drops are certainly substantial. My first KLR with headlight relays, had a headlight which was as bright with engine not running (about 12 volts across the battery), as stock Gen1's with engine running (about 14.5 volts across the battery). With engine running, the 2-1/2 volts greater to the headlight made a very significant improvement. It was almost like the bike had a headlight. Time has moved on so I no longer do headlight relays. For years, I installed 35 watt HID which were about like a relayed 100 Watt Super Silver quartz bulb. The HID draws about 2.4 amps, while the stock 60 watt QI bulb draws about 4.6 amps with relays. The 100 watt draws around 6-1/2 amps with relays. Since the HID kits come with their own relay and dedicated power lead, plus they draw 4 amps less, which is huge on a KLR, the choice is a no-brainer, IME. Before someone goes on about the light shell not being designed, blah, blah, I've installed something over 30 of them in KLR and no one complained about being flashed by other drivers. If it's a problem, the cost of an HID kit is something like $20.00 off eBay so not a big deal to try. For a year+, I have been installing an LED H4 bulb off Banggood, which have been on eBay for a while now. These draw about 2.8 amps and don't seem to be affected noticeably by voltage drop on a KLR so, other than to upgrade the fuse holders (a no brainer, IMO), all which is needed is the bulb. These compare to two 100 watt Super Silver QI H4 bulbs in a Honda ST1100 with wiring upgrades. In other words: like 200 watt headlight. The difference between the HID and the LED is about like a stock headlight with engine not running to a relayed KLR with engine running. I strongly recommend trying the LED. This is the LED: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112233171127?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT The HID are like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-HID-Headlight-Bi-Xenon-AC-Slim-Ballast-Kit-H4-H6-6000K-35W-Hi-Lo-Bulb-/171434316061?hash=item27ea48111d:g:5boAAOSw7ThUdD98&vxp=mtr A few more points, in case they are useful to someone, I strongly recommend: 1) Replacing the KLR fuse holders (both generations) with weatherproof inline ATC or Mini fuse. They are available off eBay for a couple of dollars each. Much of the electrical problems I see on KLR is from bad fuse holders/connections. 2) The White Wire (Main Fuse Holder to VRR, Fan, Ignition Switch, is too small, so I run a second white wire up and terminate it to the cooling fan relay which gets rid of most of the voltage drop. 3) The headlight and common ground wiring is both too small, too long a dog's breakfast of back and forth + junctions. A good remedy is to pop the ground terminal connector out of the headlight plug, solder a 14 gauge wire across the top of the terminal, then put the terminal back into the plug. Ground the other end of the new wire to one of the 6mm bolts (10 mm head) on the overflow tank frame. 4) The voltage drop from the VRR to the White Wire is excessive and can be improved. If someone wants to know about that, or the VRR mod, post back. These topics come up frequently on KLR Technical if that's of interest to someone on Facebook. HIH Norm

Martin Earl

where to get top end rebuild

Post by Martin Earl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:19 am

All the mods to a KLX650, KLX250 conversions/repair are all a matter of properly applying the Franklin filter. Research the advertised 'co$t' of making the upgrade to the 685 or the KLX350.Take that researched value and multiply by 1.75. cough. ie, a $100 conversion is 100x1.75 = $175.(It always cost more than just the advertised parts...usually 1.75% more. AMHIK.Then, You stick your wallet ( and your imagination) in a parts catalog/vice and apply 16.3lbs per square inch of ego/unfulfilled.unrepentant desire and see how many Franklins fall out of the wallet.Pick those 'Franklins' off the floor and count carefully; compare those Franklins to the On-line advertisements cost/repair/upgrade.NOTE: Do not forget to apply the 1.75% value to the initial estimate.Probably, you will be short of Franklins...don't panic, there is a solution. Place the wallet back in the same vice--Apply 32.6lbs of desire per square inch of ego/unrestrained desire and see if the Visa or MasterCard jumped into the Franklin abyss previously created at 16.3 lbs/ego. (Most likely it did)Put the Franklins back in your wallet, do the Happy Dance and follow the on line instructions for using your Visa or MasterCard.Pull the trigger on the awesome new upgrade for your 20 year old Kawasaki and then wait impatiently for the back order to be filled. Install the upgrade; keep detailed notes, such as: why does a base gasket tear easily, why does it take 3.5 hands to install a wrist pin clip, and why are there so many heated words used while changing the valve seals. Stuff like that.Additionally, All of this might take the finesse of James Bond in the Bahama's, such as hiding the Visa/MasterCard statement from the SO before they can ask, 'What is WESCO, ARROWHEAD or EAGLE MIKE, etal. when reading in the statement. That sort of thing. While the bike is cooling down during the initial heat cycle after piston/cylinder upgrade installation-Compare the final cost of the upgrade...noting that it was only 1.60 % of the estimate, now $160/100 vs. the $175/ (noting actual cost being ~650-$800) and proudly announce to the SO, you have saved 15% on the initial estimate!!!(Do the Happy Dance again.)Post wild tales of enhanced performance AND a 15% saving over the initial estimate in this and other forums! Your friends are now doing the Happy Dance and they begin the spring/summer cycle of Farkling/Upgrades. YMMV. revmaaatin.ps. Franklin counseling available through a PM on this forum. Not that I would follow my own advice. shrug.
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Mike Frey mike21b@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I never knew the KLX-650 well, but I had always wanted one and have been on the equivalent KLX-650 Yahoo group for years. As each year goes by, it becomes less likely - unless I find one like I ALMOST bought 3 years ago. Unmolested, totally stock 1996 KLX-650 with only 800 miles on it. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it. It looked brand new. [u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

I think that a very limited number of people used a KLR piston and machined the top of it to reduce the compression ratio accordingly. I wouldn't recommend it, because there are still KLX replacement parts available, including pistons from Wossner.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

The most popular overbore seems to be the KLX-678 using the piston from Kawasaki's Vulcan 1500 and then it's "just" boring out the cylinder and adding the bigger Vulcan piston and rings. No other mods needed. [u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

--------------------------[u][/u][u][/u]

I've been watching a bit more closely at people modifying the much newer KLX-250. With a kit, you can get it up to a 350cc.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, April 05, 2017 9:39 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Where to get top end rebuild[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u][u][/u]

Mike Frey. Just brainstorming because the question occurred and you are likely positioned to answer: Do you think that a cylinder base spacer &/or machining material off the piston top, would be sufficient to allow a KLR piston to be used if KLX piston is NA?[u][/u][u][/u] [u][/u][u][/u]